• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do Bosses Really Have The One Item That Could Defeat Them Put In Their Temple?

T

TheWalrus0828

I believe the ancient mage, Eiji Anouma, foresaw the comming of the hero Link and placed each necessary item into each dungeon in hopes of the hero's success.

And in Ocarina of Time, they could be explained away for being Sacred Artifacts resting in temples, such as the Megaton Hammer being an ancient Goron weapon, and the Mirror shield and gauntlets being... something, idk, I didn't read what Nabooru said. I just tapped the button a bunch.

00Xenitas

Artsy Gamer
I have a few ideas why dungeons might be as ironic as they are.

1) Like other members have stated, the "weapons" are usually tools for whoever worshipped or worked in the temple would use to get around. It could be a coincidence that they can be used in the boss room or on the boss itself
2) Dungeons (Temples), Bosses, and new weapons/tools are created by the goddesses, the antagonist, or a third party to see Link grow as a hero, or pest. So it's natural that as Link progresses through the dungeon, that he receives a gift to fight a special enemy left by either of the three groups previously mentioned.
e.g.) In SS, while Ghirahim never really helped Link, he did let Link continue to get stronger. Like in the Ancient Cistern, all Ghirahim does is have Link fight Koloktos, probably aware that there is a sacred flame waiting for Link if he defeated Koloktos.
3) Some bosses weren't supposed to be there in the first place.
-e.g.) In WW, Link receives the grappling hook in Dragon Roost Cavern. It was a tool used by the Ruto before they could fly. Around the same time, Link learns from Medli that a monster (distant relative of Gohma) was causing all the turbulence with Lord Valoo. In my opinion, Ganon placed Gohma inside that chamber below Valoo. Although Dragon Roost Cavern isn't the traditional dungeon, it explains the somewhat ironic concept of dungeons.

That's all I have to say.

I think that the bosses clearly know there's something in the temple, which is why there's usually a mini-boss guarding the item. Also temples are usually taken over by a monster, so maybe the person who built the temple put the item there for protection and the boss can't get rid of it.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Well, I like to believe that for gameplay's sake its the one item that can beat them, but for story's sake, it's just Link being creative. This is why I think the better bosses are the ones that can be defeated in multiple ways, ie MM bosses. This concept works for all games but SS because the goddess supposedly had almost everything planned out and knew exactly what Link would do and what he would need to do it. A little shocking that she knew he'd somehow have a bombbag, but hey, she did.

On a side note, this concept created a funny story. This idea actually hindered my SS progress. I kept trying to use the beetle to defeat Ghirahim in the first temple because, as we all know, the item that you get is supposed to be used to defeat the boss. Turns out... I just needed my sword! Took me a while to figure that one out. XD

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Certainly an interesting topic, but really I think it's all just coincidental. I like to think that if said weapon were never found in the temple, Link would have found another way to defeat the bosses.

Although I will say that sometimes (i.e. OoT), the temples are things of creation made to test the hero. In these scenarios, I believe the items were planted.

the bosses really have the one item in their dungeon

no this is not true because there is a idea in mechanics called "visualisation" what this is is a field of improvement to show mechanics how things work in a playset form but not in the real life

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
It's not like it's the same in every game. In WW, Medli straight up gives you the item you need because that's what she used to get this far and she knew you needed it more by that point. Most of the other items were artifacts that were either left behind by previous heroes (such as the megaton hammer in OoT and the Hero's Bow in TP) or the boss isn't an enemy but a test, such as the statue boss in the Tower of the Gods in WW. For the most part, especially in later games, the game designers tried to have a reason for the items to be where they are.

Interesting topic. Here are my thoughts

1. Link is the hero of the game not necessarily the only one ever to try to clean out the temple. Obviously, this isn't always the case but, in several cases, someone else goes before you in the game to try and clear out the monsters. Depending on how long the monsters have lived there or how many times that temple has been invaded by evil before, the item could have been dropped by a previous hero who tried and failed.

2. That leads to the questions why is it in a chest and in the temple. Well, most of the enemies are specific to their temples and aren't seen outside them. Maybe they can't leave them. The boss is locked up in its chamber so it sends out a miniboss to find the item that can kill it, lock it in a chest and then guard it in case another hero comes along to try.

I had another thought while posting about temples in another thread.

I remember reading something years ago, possibly in the original instruction manual, that, in the original Legend of Zelda, at least the bosses-if not all the monsters in each labyrinth-were created by the triforce pieces rather than sent by Ganon. Basically, the Triforce was protecting itself and testing Link with progressively more difficult monsters in each level.

So, if each temple/dungeon/whatever holds some divine power/relic etc. and that thing has the power to test the hero seeking it, it would make sense that it could also affect the contents of the dungeon. It's possible the chests are all empty until you open them and then, whatever divine power is in the dungeon manifests as something Link can use based on the situation.

This would explain a number of things. The bright light when you open the large chests, the fact that everything is in working order (an ancient wooden bow that hasn't rotted at all) and is suited to Link (the bow is neither too large nor too small for him) and is exactly what he needs to win the upcoming boss fight.

Last edited:

kiboeme

kiboeme
My take on it is that whoever created the temple would have included the item because it had a purpose.

For example, if they built the temple as a place of worship and it got taken over by monsters, most of the time Link gets items that are helpful for getting around within the temple. Presumably, this is why the item was there in the first place; if somebody wanted to get to the depths of the temple for whatever reason, they would be able to.

If they built the temple for the purpose of keeping an enemy trapped inside, it stands to reason that some engineer at some point would have created a weapon to defeat the monster and it never got used, just stored inside the temple.

Then, of course, there are those items that Link takes from an enemy inside the temple (Twilight Princess seemed to have a fondness for this, as that is how Link acquires both the Gale Boomerang and the Ball and Chain) and the items that Link gets from outside the temple altogether.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It's just a game mechanic, nothing to be too concerned about.
In TP both Zant and Ganondorf can be found in rooms locked from the outside, who does that? Seriously.

People are complaining about it? It's tradition, plus the dungeon items help you get around the rest of the dungeon. there are a few exceptions though, like most of AoL's items and Ravio's Rental Shop, I haven't played WW, MM, FS FSA or PH. So I dunno if those two are the only exceptions.

What I'd really like to know is why living dungeons have items...and maps and compasses....and moving platforms and doors inside their bodies?! *peers curiously at Jabu-Jabu*

Last edited:

NintendoCN

Team Captain
Okay to be fair Gohma, dont NEED to use the slingshot Dodongo Bomb flowers, Phantom Gannon hookshot works. They are there because the pplot demands it, if you fought Twin rova without the mirror shield you would be SOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom