• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do Bosses Really Have The One Item That Could Defeat Them Put In Their Temple?

Now everyone is always hating on bosses for leaving the one item that could defeat them in their own temple . Now I say that the bosses have no say in the items being put there. I think that a sage, mystic, fortune teller, etc foretold the bosses coming/being put there, And had the item that could defeat them put in the temple. What do YOU! think?.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yeah, I'd like to assume that the items "just so happened" to be placed in the temples...really placed there some time ago because evil was foretold to invade the temples. This is something that Skyward Sword much improved; a lot of the items were found outside of the dungeons rather than within them.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yeah, I'd like to assume that the items "just so happened" to be placed in the temples...really placed there some time ago because evil was foretold to invade the temples. This is something that Skyward Sword much improved; a lot of the items were found outside of the dungeons rather than within them.

It also had quite a few bosses that flat-out didn't need an item to be defeated.

Salem

SICK
I heard someone say the bosses are supposed to hide the item in their dungeon so they can keep a better eye on it, that's why it's usually guarded by a mini-boss?

It also had quite a few bosses that flat-out didn't need an item to be defeated.
One of the things that I loved about SS, we never seen that in a home console game sense MM.

I could see why someone would say the bosses would put the items there to keep a better eye on them, But wouldn't Gannon/main villain tell them to find somewhere else to put them after the first 5 bosses are deafeated?. And the support my theory look at Bongo-Bongo he hid his item in a well instead of in his dungeon.

Last edited:

Chiraku

Demon slayer
Story-wise, yes, it is a little odd for the boss to have their weakness placed inside their own dungeon, and at that, not having the mooks dispose of it before Link can get there.
Technically though, it's probably just a gameplay mechanic the developers can't shake and they can never find the time to do something new, not all the time, anyway.
It would help if bosses had something like a weakness table and a certain item is only the most effective against them, but that would mess a bit with the fact that most bosses are just big puzzles most of the time.

Well like I said They did it with Bongo-Bongo and I just thought of this they also did it with MM with the masks.
And weakness table? like rpgs?.

Chiraku

Demon slayer
Well like I said They did it with Bongo-Bongo and I just thought of this they also did it with MM with the masks.
And weakness table? like rpgs?.
Well, perhaps. It doesn't have to be big and complicated, heck they don't even need to put one in at all, that was just a suggestion to add a bit more variety to the battles.

Well, perhaps. It doesn't have to be big and complicated, heck they don't even need to put one in at all, that was just a suggestion to add a bit more variety to the battles.

So like the pokemon weakness table? but with the sages from OOT or something like that?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think this might be delving to deep into something that could just be explained due to the general layout and progression of the game.

However, I think it's fine to speculate if so wished and it's an interesting topic if we ignore what I said above. If you think about it, Temples can be seen as places of worship, now while a lot of Dungeons/Temples don't work out in this way in-game, they do seem to be a spiritual and place of importance. They usually house a specific item (not necessarily the equipable item but the ending item etc. So this important item would need to be protected in some fashion right? Well these Temples don't act as a calm place for people to worship, but instead a place to hold an item of importance and it will be protected. (Not all Dungeons are set up in this way, I'm just talking generally)

So I see Temples acting as a protection as sorts to the item deep within, that's why they are so structured and will contain chests to help the player, the item being the significant game changer that will help the one who enters to progress further. Now what still needs to be explained is that bosses are usually there because of the evil present in the game (from whatever source). So that way, that item wouldn't fit the boss at hand, as it's completely new to that environment. It's hard to explain this, but maybe there are external influences who place the item there in advance to help the hero.

Well we know of one figure who pre-planned Link's journey, to actually help him. That figure was Hylia, she predicted the return of evil (save spoilers just in case). The fact that she could predict evil made me think, maybe other figures could predict the events that happen in advance, so they set up items to give to the hero on his path to advance though the Temple, to either rid the evil or collect an item of significance.

I'm gonna take a crack at this, and for all I know it'll be spewing hot air, but what the heck. :)

Using OOT, WW, TP and MM as a general reference, the dungeons/temples are located within the strongholds of major races. The leaders of these races specifically tell you that they have been entrusted by. . .whoever, to guard this or that in the temple or in space before they make whatever it is magically appear. Now, in FSA, the items in question ARE in the temples, and they are specifically what the people are guarding, either from people or for one person in particular, the Hero of Time/Winds, etc.

So lets take the leap that the temples are taken over for any other reason than to dislodge the Powers of Light in residence, which is a VERY LARGE leap. Does that even make sense? Not really. Ganon doesn't tear apart the temples making sure that there's nothing useful in them! He wants to negate the threat of the sages, not to keep little Link from getting the Hero's bow. It's just that after Ganon swaths the places in darkness, badies move in, including the bosses. Now, SOME of these bosses have possible backstories and places within the timeline, but most don't, at least not extensively. So, being the biggest and baddest badie around, they would take up the big room. What skultula, deku, stalfos or fire slug has any interest in locked doors or chests? None. So the items that were already there remain there.

Considering the items we find are useful not only in the temple in question, but in the surrounding area, I would venture to say that the treasures we find are simply a reflection of the awesomeness of the race controlling the area. After all, if the Gorons are all like, "Yeaaaah we like da hammah!" then why wouldn't they put it in their sacred temple?

Just sayin'.

Chiraku

Demon slayer
So like the pokemon weakness table? but with the sages from OOT or something like that?
Um, Pokemon is an RPG, so it's kind of the same thing.
The Idea I had was using different equipment with the surrounding area, and some items' interactions are more effective than others.
Theoretically, a boss room could have two gimmicks, one for each of two pieces of equipment. You could use either piece of equipment you got (sometimes in conjunction perhaps?) for either puzzle, if you will, but one would be stronger than the other.
Again; example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom