• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did you ever have console arguments at school?

I argued with a kid in my school because he said the Wii didn't have any hardcore games and PS3 was better. I had plenty of stupid arguments on forums and stuff, but none that were particularly interesting. I was a huge Nintendo fanboy when I was younger.

nope, the games make the ps2 better
Favorite PS2 games?

It's smooth and nice looking as it is.
I disagree. The resolution sucks and the framerate drops constantly. Any time you go into a village the game struggles to keep up. On Wii U the game literally came to a complete pause any time a Moblin got knocked over. The game is amazing and it's nice enough looking, but it it's not smooth. I love Nintendo but I wish they made better hardware.

Also to set the record straight; There has never in history been a single game that benefitted from having a low framerate. 30 fps <<<<< 60 fps < 60+fps.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I argued with a kid in my school because he said the Wii didn't have any hardcore games and PS3 was better. I had plenty of stupid arguments on forums and stuff, but none that were particularly interesting. I was a huge Nintendo fanboy when I was younger.

Favorite PS2 games?

I disagree. The resolution sucks and the framerate drops constantly. Any time you go into a village the game struggles to keep up. On Wii U the game literally came to a complete pause any time a Moblin got knocked over. The game is amazing and it's nice enough looking, but it it's not smooth. I love Nintendo but I wish they made better hardware.

Also to set the record straight; There has never in history been a single game that benefitted from having a low framerate. 30 fps <<<<< 60 fps < 60+fps.
I hate it when people think a game has to be constant hardcore action to be good. Also, I have not noticed or cared any fps problems, it's not an issue for me.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
No, because splatoon looks great at 60fps and unplayable at 30fps

FPS is not purely bigger=better, it's an artistic choice as often as it is a technical choice. I prefer 30fps dark souls to 60fps as well, although that's not a very popular opinion

I think what you say has some merit, because part of what makes a movie a movie is our expectation of 24fps
But in the case of botw I really dont like 60fps for how unnatural it looks

That's usually because the game in question isn't designed with the possibility of higher frame rate. They tend to exclusive to one console or another (such as BotW on Switch).

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Favorite PS2 games?
MGS3 & 2, GTA trilogy, Jak & Daxter trilogy, Persona 4, Rayman 3, Tony Hawk's Underground, Star Wars Battlefront games, Burnout 3, Dark Cloud games, Xenosaga trilogy

bait jokes aside, PS2 is probably my favorite system at the end of the day

I hate it when people think a game has to be constant hardcore action to be good. Also, I have not noticed or cared any fps problems, it's not an issue for me.
you may be fine w/ it but that just doesn't match up w/ the rest of our experiences, the framerate just cries in korok forest

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
lurelin village, kakariko village, and korok forest are the most obvious locations for frame drops, so I'm sure you've noticed it
nobody in the history of being wrong has ever been more wrong, congratulations

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I never particularly cared about Xbox and Playstation too much and I think that during the time I was in school Nintendo was (and still is) considered in a league of its own separate to Xbox/Playstation (plus I am too young for the Nintendo vs Sega console wars days).

At University people don't really care too much what you like or do but I feel that Nintendo suddenly becomes much more "cool" again once you get into University compared to high school. I do recall people considering Nintendo consoles to not really be worth any time due to their graphical limitations in high school but that's not really a thing people seemed to care about afterward. I regularly attend a video game bar in my city and most people there love Nintendo stuff.

nobody in the history of being wrong has ever been more wrong, congratulations
List some games that are better at lower framerates than high ones. The only way that could even be arguable is with games where framerate is tied to physics, but that's just poor design and higher fps would still be better.
MGS3 & 2, GTA trilogy, Jak & Daxter trilogy, Persona 4, Rayman 3, Tony Hawk's Underground, Star Wars Battlefront games, Burnout 3, Dark Cloud games, Xenosaga trilogy
Haven't played Xenosaga, but those are all great games.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
List some games that are better at lower framerates than high ones. The only way that could even be arguable is with games where framerate is tied to physics, but that's just poor design and higher fps would still be better.

Haven't played Xenosaga, but those are all great games.
just off the top of my head, Gradius 3 and Banjo Tooie, I don't if I can say they're better for lower framerates, but getting rid of the slowdown in Gradius 3 makes that game a bit harder, and increasing the framerate for Tooie desyncs the audio in certain cutscene(s)

of course these are old games w/ console limitations, I still think games should strive for the best framerate possible

...I already did
Certainly not in this thread.
just off the top of my head, Gradius 3 and Banjo Tooie, I don't if I can say they're better for lower framerates, but getting rid of the slowdown in Gradius 3 makes that game a bit harder, and increasing the framerate for Tooie desyncs the audio in certain cutscene(s)
Those things happen because programmers tie the gameplay to the framerate. That's considered really bad practice. The framerate isn't the problem in those situations. They do that because they assume the game will always be at a specific framerate. That doesn't make the low framerate good, it makes the programming/design bad.

Mikey the Moblin

No, because splatoon looks great at 60fps and unplayable at 30fps

FPS is not purely bigger=better, it's an artistic choice as often as it is a technical choice. I prefer 30fps dark souls to 60fps as well, although that's not a very popular opinion

I think what you say has some merit, because part of what makes a movie a movie is our expectation of 24fps
But in the case of botw I really dont like 60fps for how unnatural it looks
it's like 60fps anime
there are certain visuals and effects that are made specifically at 30fps and they just look eerie at 60

in dark souls case there is gameplay issues with 60fps that people don't really care about
DS2 runs natively at 60fps and I restream it to my computer more often than I play it at 60fps because it just looks better at 30, kind of makes it grittier and more "dark souls"

then there's the infamous RE2 knife that ties damage to framerate meaning you one shot everything at 200fps that's fun lol

most importantly higher FPS doesn't necessarily mean higher realism, so a game trying to achieve a more realistic look might want 30 or even 24 fps to mimic movies

point is, there's artistic reasons to specifically want lower FPS and saying higher fps is always better is just blatantly wrong and reeks of PC master race aside

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
point is, there's artistic reasons to specifically want lower FPS and saying higher fps is always better is just blatantly
For what it's worth, I do believe that PC is master race, not because you can supe it up to run at 420 FPS, but because it can also be used for business and you're not spending hundreds of dollars on something just to play games on, not including the TV.

Mikey the Moblin

For what it's worth, I do believe that PC is master race, not because you can supe it up to run at 420 FPS, but because it can also be used for business and you're not spending hundreds of dollars on something just to play games on, not including the TV.
PC is more expensive and you lose out on native compatibility (IE visual settings are already presumably perfected when playing on console because the developers know the specs, PC games have a wide variety of settings to be able to keep up with the randomness of computers)

So, a $2000 PC is better than five $400 consoles, yes
but a $1000 PC is not better than 3 $400 consoles

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I was pretty out of touch with these things. Having parents that wouldn't know a video game if it bit them meant I was a generation or two behind what everyone else had. I was always satisfied with my DS and GameCube, anyway. I also got a Wii a handful of years later than everyone else. I was kinda too in my own little world playing Pokemon at that age to pay attention to console wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom