• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did you ever have console arguments at school?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I haven’t, really. I’ve used both PS and Nintendo consoles for years, but never really talked about my interests back then, so it never came up. I brought Nintendo handhelds to school, and other kids did too, so that didn’t make a difference either.

That said, I didn’t care then and I don’t care now. Consoles aren’t made better than the others for any reason other than appealing to a consumer’s needs. I still use both PS and Nintendo now because they both serve different purposes. One isn’t better than the other. Just more useful in a different way.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I haven’t, really. I’ve used both PS and Nintendo consoles for years, but never really talked about my interests back then, so it never came up. I brought Nintendo handhelds to school, and other kids did too, so that didn’t make a difference either.

That said, I didn’t care then and I don’t care now. Consoles aren’t made better than the others for any reason other than appealing to a consumer’s needs. I still use both PS and Nintendo now because they both serve different purposes. One isn’t better than the other. Just more useful in a different way.

I think there is merit to preferring a more technically powerful console. While a beefier console doesn't necessarily lead to better games, it can lead to bigger and prettier games. Something like Breath of the Wild looks nice, but it'd look a lot nicer with a stable resolution and a higher frame rate.

Last edited:

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I think there is some merit to preferring a more technically powerful console. While a beefier console doesn't necessarily lead to better games, it can lead to bigger and prettier games. Something like Breath of the Wild looks nice, but it'd look a lot nicer with less shifting resolution and a higher frame rate.
Oh, definitely. I'd love a Breath of the Wild that runs at 1080p (or higher) at 60fps. While it ultimately doesn't bother me too much, I can't deny the appeal of having all my first party Ninty titles running on a console that can make them look their best, instead of Nintendo's underpowered offerings.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
Oh, definitely. I'd love a Breath of the Wild that runs at 1080p (or higher) at 60fps. While it ultimately doesn't bother me too much, I can't deny the appeal of having all my first party Ninty titles running on a console that can make them look their best, instead of Nintendo's underpowered offerings.
no pls
60fps botw is cursed

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
It's never been a big issue, I just never mentioned what I played to many others. Not many of my friends had Nintendo consoles, so I never got to play with others much. As for XBox vs. PS, I've always sided with the PS folks just because of the high quality exclusives. Now that I have a PC as well, PS exclusives are really all I'm missing out on.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It's smooth and nice looking as it is.

Nice looking? Definitely. Smooth? Eh. Breath of the Wild's frame rate is noticeably flaky and inconsistent in areas that contain grass and fog (noticeably the Lost Woods). Even my naked eyes can see the dynamic resolution shifting as it tries to keep the frame rate as a playable level in spite of the mist floating around and bogging it down. It's something that would just be objectively better on beefier hardware.

Chevywolf30

Evil Ketchup be like: Link&Ilia
Forum Volunteer
Nice looking? Definitely. Smooth? Eh. Breath of the Wild's frame rate is noticeably flaky and inconsistent in areas that contain grass and fog (noticeably the Lost Woods). Even my naked eyes can see the dynamic resolution shifting as it tries to keep the frame rate as a playable level in spite of the mist floating around and bogging it down. It's something that would just be objectively better on beefier hardware.
I'm in the lost woods right now and it's fine.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
But would you think that if you film and console gaming hadn't taught you it was the ideal frame rate?
No, because splatoon looks great at 60fps and unplayable at 30fps

FPS is not purely bigger=better, it's an artistic choice as often as it is a technical choice. I prefer 30fps dark souls to 60fps as well, although that's not a very popular opinion

I think what you say has some merit, because part of what makes a movie a movie is our expectation of 24fps
But in the case of botw I really dont like 60fps for how unnatural it looks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom