• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Demise Vs Ganondorf

Im wondering which of these 2 powerful beings is stronger in my belief it would be Ganondorf because he posses the triforce of power and many powerful abilities

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ganondorf is the stronger of the two; as you said he possesses the Triforce of Power which alone puts him on a higher caliber than any previous villain, even the big D himself. Now, I don't know the specifics, but I believe Ganondorf can only be defeated by one who wields a piece of the Triforce as well as the Master Sword itself. Demise only requires the Master Sword.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Demise is stronger. He's quoted to be the source of all monsters and poses as a threat to the gods and goddesses themselves. He's basically the equivalent of the Devil for the Zelda franchise. At face value, Ganondorf is nothing to Demise. Ganondorf relies on the Triforce of Power for his fearsome powers, whereas Demise has them from the start. The Triforce of Power also does not make Ganondorf immortal, contrary to popular belief. He has been killed with it in both the original Zelda and Twilight Princess, so that argument cannot be used. He is just insanely hard to kill. But so is Demise. In fact, he's even harder to kill. Even with the Triforce of Power, Ganondorf would not be able to defeat Demise.

In the end, the only foe in Zelda that could ever stand up to Demise is Majora. Demise > Ganondorf.

Im not putting Demise down i do believe he is a very powerful being after all he did defeat the goddess hylia but i just believe ganon is stronger and do remember in ocarenia of time ganon had powers before he tricked link into opening the door of time to the sacred realm the triforce of power just amplified his own abilities and made him even stronger

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I believe that Ganondorf is stronger than Demise. In terms of battle, Demise can be killed by the Master Sword alone. Ganondorf, however, needs other weapons too like the Light Arrows in addition to the Master Sword.

In terms of plot, Ganondorf is still more powerful than Demise. Hylia was able to defeat Demise in battle as shown by Skyward Sword's backstory. The three Golden Goddesses were not able to defeat Ganondorf though, when he broke free from the seal as shown by The Wind Waker's backstory. The three Golden Goddesses could merely flood Hyrule and wish for another hero to be born.

So in all, Ganondorf > Demise.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Ganondorf is stronger because of reasons others gave. I believe Ganondorf was at the peak of his power in Twilight Princess. In that game, it took the Master Sword (which can now be thought of as the power of Hylia and the SS dragons if you want to count them), the Triforce of Courage and Triforce of Wisedom (which could be seen as the power of the goddesses), the power of the Twilight Princess, the light arrows (the power of the Light Spirits), Midna's Mask (the ancient power of the Twili race and some believe to be related to Majora, though I don't), the Twili's Sol's power infused in Link's sword, the sword that put the opening in Ganondorf which gave him a weak spot in the first place (the power of the sages), even Zant's power which he got from Ganondorf was needed to defeat Ganondorf (Link turning into a wolf)... all that, plus a horse! Literally all the most powerful powers in Hyrule lore came together to defeat one guy. The only thing that was missing was Midna's true power which Zant had already taken away but I assume that power is not much compared to the ancient power of the Twili since it was able to crush Zant while Midna in her Twilight Princess form could do nothing. Who knows, maybe Midna never lost her power but simply lost her form, as she is still pretty powerful as an imp.

Demise required the power of the Master Sword (again, Hylia's and the SS dragons' power) and lightning (perhaps Demise's own power?) in order to be defeated. Actually, I'm not sure lightning is even needed to defeat Demise which would leave us with just the Master Sword, a weapon which alone wouldn't stand a chance against Ganondorf.

I think what makes the G-Man so dangerous is that he's not just an all-powerful person (thank you triforce of power) but he's also a caniving (can't spell) strategist: slowly plotting his takeover in OoT, gradually searching for the princess in WW, grinding his will through Zant in TP, etc. This made him smart enough to be able to adjust himself to situations as they came. Ganondorf tries a strategy, it fails, he moves on to a different strategy usually amping up his power along the way. He's still cocky, but not as much as Demise. Demise simply relies on his power, which means when something more powerful than him comes, or something that can get around his power, he's pretty much defeated. There's also the fact that Ganondorf does not allow people to simply challenge him. If you want to even get close to the G-man, you have to go through twilight barriers, time traveling rifts, castle force fields, etc. Ganondorf does not believe he can be beaten, but he makes sure that anyone who tries has to be really powerful, or have serious resources, to do so. Demise allowed Link to fight him, which if he had not done, he'd probably still be ruling Hyrule. If Demise had not opened a door, Link would've had no way to get to him or would've had to go on another journey that would've made him stronger in order to face Demise.

That's the downside of being seen as a "god" in literature. You tend to get lazy and think anything that isn't a god doesn't stand even a fraction chance. Ganondorf often portrays himself as a king fighting peasants (even in TP where Zant calls him a god, he calls himself a king), giving himself back-up plans should this not be as easy as he thought it would be. Demise portrays himself as a god fighting bugs meaning the gap is much bigger in his mind and he feels he doesn't even need to prepare nor attempt to stop "potential threats".

I not only believe that the G-man is more powerful than Demise but just better at handling himself in general. A mindset of preparation is always good to have in a battle, even if there is less than 1% chance of you losing. If for some reason Demise did turn out to be more powerful than Ganondorf, (which again, I don't believe) Ganondorf would still be smart enough to adjust himself a good amount of times because it doesn't only take power to defeat him, but wisdom and courage.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Demise required the power of the Master Sword (again, Hylia's and the SS dragons' power) and lightning (perhaps Demise's own power?) in order to be defeated. Actually, I'm not sure lightning is even needed to defeat Demise which would leave us with just the Master Sword, a weapon which alone wouldn't stand a chance against Ganondorf.

1.) It is not confirmed that Hylia's soul is the reason that only the Master Sword can harm Demise. In fact, the game actually suggests the exact opposite.

2.) The Master Sword is all that is used to defeat Ganondorf at the end of Twilight Princess. No, the Light Arrows do not count in this situation. They were used to stall Ganondorf while on his horse, not while in a sword duel with Link.

3.) Ganondorf can be harmed by normal weapons. Demise cannot.

IMO we don't know enough about Demise to even make any assumptions. But with the evidence that we have I would have to say Ganondorf.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Actually, in TP, Ganondorf is shown to be very much alive and well until the Triforce leaves him. At which point his eyes glaze over and he is shown to die. It seems the same "Divine Prank" that allowed him the ToP took it away just as quickly.

That is true. Allow me to rephrase. Just because he has the Triforce of Power doesn't mean he can't be killed.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I'm gonna say Demise is stronger. Even though Ganondorf requires other weapons to break his defenses such as the Light Arrows, it is still the Master Sword that kills him, much like Demise. And whereas Ganondorf can be harmed by other weapons Demise cannot. From a gameplay perspective Demise is much harder, you have to rely entirely on your swordplay skills to even stand a chance (unless you decide to be a cheap ******* and use that lightning trick, in which case shame on you), whereas the end strategy with Ganondorf seems to rely on volleying balls of energy or mashing the A button.

From a story perspective Demise is also still stronger. Even without the Triforce he still is powerful enough to cause the near-genocide of the human race, and even when you have the whole Triforce he's still an extremely formidable foe. Whereas Ganondorf seems to rely too much on the Triforce of Power (except in WW, which I'll admit he's stronger in that case. He caused the Goddesses to flood Hyrule to stop his tyranny. So if you want to bring up that point I'll concede there's more of a point there.) But overall Demise poses far more of a threat in that he is the source of all evil, which makes him the equivalent of El Diablo.

To me, Ganondorf is the stronger of the two. Ganondorf is an actual, legitimate, threat in all of the games he appears in. And best of all he makes the player realize it. Demise, on the other hand, is just a lil' push-over if you ask me.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I don't understand how Ganondorf needing the triforce of power means he's less powerful than Demise. That's an arsenal to his power. Does Demise relying on his godly power mean that he's more powerful because he's born with it? So any power that you aren't born with doesn't count? Perhaps people see it like steroids. The concept where a Person isn't really stronger than another Person if they take steroids because it only creates a temporary effect or because it isn't earned naturally. If that's the case, I don't see it that way. Asking who is more powerful and who has more natural power are two different things imo.

It also just hit me that I have no recollection of the game specifically saying that only the Master Sword could hurt Demise. Does it say that in the game? If so, how did Hylia seal him in the first place? The skyward strike is used to reseal Demise (or rather the Imprissoned) every time. (The first time you do it, you do not posses the Master Sword but rather its anorexic version) Can't the power of the goddess also hurt Demise considering she was the first one to defeat him? Actually, the game states that the goddess's power is the power to seal demons. And if Hylia's power alone can hurt Demise, what other powers out there can? To my knowledge, the Master Sword is a combination of some type of metal (the first version of the sword), blessings from the temples (which turned it into the Master Sword) and Hylia's blessing which Zelda calls the power of the triforce (which turned it into the True Master Sword allowing it to banish demons). As I recall, the whole point of Link getting the Master Sword was to unlock the gate of time, and the whole point of getting the True Master Sword was to allow him the power to stop the Imprisoned. It doesn't seem like it was foreseen that he would even need to fight Demise by the in game story. Yet why would the game say specifically "to banish demons?" The creators of the game obviously knew Link would be fighting Demise, but did Hylia know as well? Perhaps the sword was specifically made to banish Demise just in case Hylia's initial plan failed? In any case, even though in my last post I made a point about this, I no longer see proof that only the Master Sword can hurt Demise.

Also, light arrows are used to pierce through Ganondorf's defenses because the Master Sword can't. (Like the other tools I mentioned are used to get through his defenses) If you walk into a fight with Ganondorf or Demise missing the Master Sword, you will lose. If you walk into a fight with Ganondorf or Demise without light arrows, you'll still beat Demise but Ganondorf still wins because the Master Sword isn't powerful enough to get past his defenses. (I'm talking about the 3D Ganons because I still consider these when he was at his prime power) TP Ganondorf may be the exception to this rule, but to my knowledge, in OoT this would be the case (and maybe WW too).

This point also goes with my last one. People say that only the Master Sword can hurt Demise, but technically the Master Sword is a combination of different elements just like the combination of elements that are used to defeat Ganondorf. Given the fact that Hylia defeated Demise using her own powers, but could only seal him proves that Demise can be hurt by things other than the Master Sword, because otherwise Hylia would've killed him if she had it during the time she fought him. Thus, it takes the combination of elements that defeated Demise PLUS more elements to defeat the G-Man.

All in all, I still see the G-Man as the most powerful.

Actually, in TP, Ganondorf is shown to be very much alive and well until the Triforce leaves him. At which point his eyes glaze over and he is shown to die. It seems the same "Divine Prank" that allowed him the ToP took it away just as quickly.

I actually saw the triforce leaving him BECAUSE he was dying. Not that it Randomly decided to choose this point in time to leave. Much like a green lantern's ring.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I don't understand how Ganondorf needing the triforce of power means he's less powerful than Demise. That's an arsenal to his power. Does Demise relying on his godly power mean that he's more powerful because he's born with it? So any power that you aren't born with doesn't count? Perhaps people see it like steroids. The concept where a Person isn't really stronger than another Person if they take steroids because it only creates a temporary effect or because it isn't earned naturally. If that's the case, I don't see it that way. Asking who is more powerful and who has more natural power are two different things imo.

I agree that it's not a very valid point. However, even with the Triforce of Power, Ganondorf is still not as strong as Demise is. Ganondorf's power is the equal to what we see in his fights. No other power is brought up through dialogue. Demise's power is watered-down in the fight for gameplay purposes. His true power is far beyond what we saw in his fight. (Which, by the way, is harder than any fight with Ganondorf.)

It also just hit me that I have no recollection of the game specifically saying that only the Master Sword could hurt Demise. Does it say that in the game?

Fi says it in her analysis of Demise.

If so, how did Hylia seal him in the first place? The skyward strike is used to reseal Demise (or rather the Imprissoned) every time. (The first time you do it, you do not posses the Master Sword but rather its anorexic version) Can't the power of the goddess also hurt Demise considering she was the first one to defeat him? Actually, the game states that the goddess's power is the power to seal demons. And if Hylia's power alone can hurt Demise, what other powers out there can? To my knowledge, the Master Sword is a combination of some type of metal (the first version of the sword), blessings from the temples (which turned it into the Master Sword) and Hylia's blessing which Zelda calls the power of the triforce (which turned it into the True Master Sword allowing it to banish demons). As I recall, the whole point of Link getting the Master Sword was to unlock the gate of time, and the whole point of getting the True Master Sword was to allow him the power to stop the Imprisoned. It doesn't seem like it was foreseen that he would even need to fight Demise by the in game story. Yet why would the game say specifically "to banish demons?" The creators of the game obviously knew Link would be fighting Demise, but did Hylia know as well? Perhaps the sword was specifically made to banish Demise just in case Hylia's initial plan failed? In any case, even though in my last post I made a point about this, I no longer see proof that only the Master Sword can hurt Demise.

Keep in mind that the Master Sword is a powered-up Goddess Sword and that Hylia used the Goddess Sword while fighting Demise. It was enough to put him in submission, but not enough to defeat him. That's why he was only able to be sealed when she fought him. Pretty simple concept. You're seriously over-thinking it.

Also, light arrows are used to pierce through Ganondorf's defenses because the Master Sword can't. (Like the other tools I mentioned are used to get through his defenses) If you walk into a fight with Ganondorf or Demise missing the Master Sword, you will lose. If you walk into a fight with Ganondorf or Demise without light arrows, you'll still beat Demise but Ganondorf still wins because the Master Sword isn't powerful enough to get past his defenses. (I'm talking about the 3D Ganons because I still consider these when he was at his prime power) TP Ganondorf may be the exception to this rule, but to my knowledge, in OoT this would be the case (and maybe WW too).

Again, Twilight Princess. The sword duel between Link and Ganondorf only uses the Master Sword, and in the fight with Ganon, Wolf Link's teeth are enough to damage his weak spot. Nothing like that would be able to happen with Demise because the only weapon that could truly damage him is the Master Sword. Ganondorf can be hurt by pretty much anything. He's not a demigod like Demise.

This point also goes with my last one. People say that only the Master Sword can hurt Demise, but technically the Master Sword is a combination of different elements just like the combination of elements that are used to defeat Ganondorf. Given the fact that Hylia defeated Demise using her own powers, but could only seal him proves that Demise can be hurt by things other than the Master Sword, because otherwise Hylia would've killed him if she had it during the time she fought him. Thus, it takes the combination of elements that defeated Demise PLUS more elements to defeat the G-Man.

Hylia didn't defeat Demise. She only subdued him. Again, she used the Goddess Sword, which was powerful enough to WEAKEN him, but not enough to DAMAGE him. Basically a case of wearing him out without leaving any scars.

All in all, I still see the G-Man as the most powerful.

Majora and Demise are both more powerful than Ganondorf. Actually, Bellum and Malladus are portrayed via dialogue to have more power than him, as well. Ganondorf is really one of Zelda's weaker villains.

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
Considering Ganondorf is a curse thrust upon Link and Zelda by Demise, I would have say that they are equal in strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom