• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Death Mountain...

That is what we know for sure. What we can infer is that they cannot both be what they appear to be, one of them is brand new. And since Spectacle Rock is, listen closely, INSIDE of Death Mountain, it is obviously not the highest point in Hyrule. Therefore, I am taking a loose guess that Spectacle Island is NOT Spectacle Rock, and Dragon Roost Island MAY be Death Mountain.

Spectacle Rock is only inside of a crater in OoT. Besides, no where in OoT does it actually call that location Spectacle Rock. In LoZ and AoL, it actually calls the area Spectacle Rock, and it is not inside of a crater. In LoZ, Spectacle Rock is the highest point in Death Mountain that we see. There's no reason to believe that they would name it Spectacle Island just out of the blue when A.) It resembles what the top of Spectacle Rock would look like, and B.) The Islands in Wind Waker are the mountaintops of Hyrule.

Now people often try to say that Dragon Roost Island is or could be Death Mountain, which would, like you said, seemingly make it impossible for Death Mountain to be anywhere near Spectacle Island. The problem here is, like I said above, we don't know how big Hyrule truly is. We have no idea how far Death Mountain extends. In AoL, we get a pretty good indication that its a lot bigger than is shown in any other game. Usually, Death Mountain runs off the side of the map. Therefore, it could be speculated that Dragon Roost still could be a location at the top of Death Mountain, it would just be a further away location than where Spectacle Rock is.

However, whereas we have no evidence pointing to Dragon Roost being part of Death Mountain, we do have obvious evidence that Spectacle Island is the top of Spectacle Rock. In-game evidence overrules a theory with no in-game evidence. And whether or not Dragon Roost is a part of Death Mountain (a part far away from Spectacle Rock's location), it surely doesn't overrule the obvious intent that Spectacle Island is meant to be the top of Spectacle Rock.

Ikana

Trollkastel
That's a good question Dragon roost does seem to be to small for Death Mountain.Maybe Nintendo wasn't thinking when they made it.But why would the gorons not stay there.Goron merchants are shown in the game.Maybe they ran out of food because Dodongo Cavern is now under water.

B

Bongo_Bongo

Spectacle Rock is only inside of a crater in OoT. Besides, no where in OoT does it actually call that location Spectacle Rock. In LoZ and AoL, it actually calls the area Spectacle Rock, and it is not inside of a crater. In LoZ, Spectacle Rock is the highest point in Death Mountain that we see. There's no reason to believe that they would name it Spectacle Island just out of the blue when A.) It resembles what the top of Spectacle Rock would look like, and B.) The Islands in Wind Waker are the mountaintops of Hyrule.

You make a few good points here. However, I subscribe to the split timeline theory, and have since it was confirmed by Shigeru Miyamoto (2003, I believe). You say that it was only in a crater in OoT, not in LoZ or AoL. Following the split timeline theory, Ocarina of Time is directly before Wind Waker, and therefore the topographical facts would remain roughly the same. I cannot say anything about, but this wiki http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Spectacle_Rock (Which I admit is just a wikipedia page) says that the formation is, in fact, spectacle rock. I can't say whether they are assuming this or whether it is fact, but I always thought of Spectacle Rock as those two wierd pillars in Death Mountian Crater.

What you're forgetting is that Spectacle rock wasn't a mountaintop. It was inside of the crater of a mouintain. We're not talking LoZ or AoL, but OoT. As for the name thing, Hyrulean myths and traditions were highly valuable to the people, as evidenced by the numerous Zelda's, Death Mountains, Great Fairy's, etc.

You make a few good points here. However, I subscribe to the split timeline theory, and have since it was confirmed by Shigeru Miyamoto (2003, I believe). You say that it was only in a crater in OoT, not in LoZ or AoL. Following the split timeline theory, Ocarina of Time is directly before Wind Waker, and therefore the topographical facts would remain roughly the same. I cannot say anything about, but this wiki http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Spectacle_Rock (Which I admit is just a wikipedia page) says that the formation is, in fact, spectacle rock. I can't say whether they are assuming this or whether it is fact, but I always thought of Spectacle Rock as those two wierd pillars in Death Mountian Crater.

I also subscribe to the Split Timeline theory, but that doesn't keep what I said from being true. By the way, it was confirmed by Eiji Aonuma in 2001, in an interview conducted talking about Wind Waker.

What I am saying is that I don't consider the location in OoT to be Spectacle Rock. Or at least, I don't consider it's location to actually look like that. In every other game that Spectacle Rock is said to be in (LoZ, AoL, ALttP, and FSA), it always appears as two rock structures protruding from the very top of Death Mountain. In OoT, it is said to be two rock structures inside of a crater (but only on that Wiki page, and never in the game, so it is merely speculation). It would be impossible for an island to be made from the tops of those mountains in OoT because they are in a crater. And since OoT never once says that those two structures are known as Spectacle Rock, or anywhere else in Death Mountain for that matter, I conclude that Spectacle Rock is never seen in OoT. Now, I don't believe the locations in ALttP or FSA are named Spectacle Rock either. But in LoZ and AoL, it is named Spectacle Rock and since the locations in ALttP and FSA look like that same area, one can safely assume that they are all the same.

What you are trying to say is that OoT's Spectacle Rock is THE Spectacle Rock, and that isn't true because its never been confirmed. The wiki page link you provided says that, but it is only speculation, which should be noted on that page because there is nothing in OoT to confirm that name. The only way to say for sure which location is Spectacle Rock is to look at LoZ or AoL, which you could also back up with ALttP and FSA because those locations also look similar to LoZ's Spectacle Rock. In LoZ, it isn't in a crater, it is just two mounds on the top of Death Mountain, which would obviously protrude to the top of the Great Sea in Wind Waker. Again, confirmed evidence overrules speculated evidence. LoZ's location is confirmed and looks to be what Wind Waker would use as Spectacle Island's location. OoT's location is not, and is inconsistent with Spectacle Island in Wind Waker.

What you're forgetting is that Spectacle rock wasn't a mountaintop. It was inside of the crater of a mouintain. We're not talking LoZ or AoL, but OoT. As for the name thing, Hyrulean myths and traditions were highly valuable to the people, as evidenced by the numerous Zelda's, Death Mountains, Great Fairy's, etc.

OoT doesn't matter because again, that location is never confirmed to be Spectacle Rock. What matters is LoZ. The Split Timeline theory doesn't mean that Spectacle Island cannot be Spectacle Rock. Spectacle Rock would still exist in OoT, and would look the exact same as it does in LoZ. Its the same Hyrule. What I am saying is that we never actually see that location in OoT. We never see Spectacle Rock in that game.

As far as names go, virtually nothing in Wind Waker is named after anything from old Hyrule besides Spectacle Island (nothing obvious anyway). Every location is different, and if they wanted us to know that Dragon Roost was a part of Death Mountain, they would have told us. Or at least they would have made it as obvious as naming and designing Spectacle Island after what Spectacle Rock would look like if Death Mountain were submerged under the ocean, which is exactly what it was.

Austin

Austin
I'm going to argue that Dragon Roost is the remains of Death Mountain!

Here is why!

First, lets take what we do know. Hyrule Castle is located at the tower of the gods. When you go to the tower of gods, you descent directly below and you're in front of Hyrule Castle. Using this as a reference with OoT's map.
You can then look at Hyrule Castle/Tower of Gods and compare it's location to the Deuku Tree. Assuming the Deku tree is in relatively close area of where it was in Ocarina of Time (old or new deku tree will work).

deathmountaintheory2.jpg

Portion of Hyurle from Ocarina of Time's map.

You get a shape like this. Meaning the top right circle is Death Mountain, the left circle is Hyrule Castle, and the bottom is the Kokiri Forest.

deathmountaintheory3.jpg

You also see this shape in Wind Waker.

deathmountaintheory1.jpg

A portion of Wind Waker map, with the selected islands highlighted

By comparing the two maps and shapes. You see a close resemblance in location of the 3 spots. By this evidence, I conclude that Rito Island is Death Mountain.

Ikana

Trollkastel
I'm going to argue that Dragon Roost is the remains of Death Mountain!

Here is why!

First, lets take what we do know. Hyrule Castle is located at the tower of the gods. When you go to the tower of gods, you descent directly below and you're in front of Hyrule Castle. Using this as a reference with OoT's map.
You can then look at Hyrule Castle/Tower of Gods and compare it's location to the Deuku Tree. Assuming the Deku tree is in relatively close area of where it was in Ocarina of Time (old or new deku tree will work).

By comparing the two maps and shapes. You see a close resemblance in location of the 3 spots. By this evidence, I conclude that Rito Island is Death Mountain.
I think I might agree with that.The only thing is that Dragon Roost seems a little to small to be death mountain but there is erosion.So good job;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Austin

Austin
Dragon Roost is obviously eroded based off weather, and the fact its a volcano! If you go behind the island, you see a lot of pillars/spikes hanging out of the water. This can be evidence of erosion.

Ikana

Trollkastel
Dragon Roost is obviously eroded based off weather, and the fact its a volcano! If you go behind the island, you see a lot of pillars/spikes hanging out of the water. This can be evidence of erosion.
I think Dragon Roost could be Death Mountain.Looking at the map help me more thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom