• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Death Mountain...

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
I'm not sure. They say Death Mountain is the highest part in Hyrule, and Spectacle Island is most certainly not that. Not only this, but if I remember correctly, there is a way into One of the halves of Spectacle Island, and if I am correct in remembering this, I'm most likely correct in remembering that there was absolutely no remnants of any sort of temple, let alone Ganon's castle, and personally I don't really imagine that anyone went inside to 'tidy up' with all those Lynels around and the Wizzrobes inside. If this were the same Spectacle rock, sure we could say that it had caved in, but the entrance would have to be the same as in LoZ (however, this argument doesn't really work because WW probably comes before LoZ on the timeline, and I believe they are infact on opposite sides of the timeline.) Therefore, a second argument is required. Mine would be that Spectacle rock is always depicted as near, or on the top of Death Mountain, meaning that if this were Spectacle rock, given that Death Mountain is said to be the higest point, we would have to see some of Death Mountain aswell. Also, according to OoT, Spectacle Rock is actually inside Death Mountain Crater.

With Dragon Roost, I'd say it is likely that it is Death Mountain. It is one of the Highest points (though to be fair, still not the highest, there are all those little rock spires with seagulls on which I remember as being taller.) There is the Lava, the monsters and above all, there is Valoo. That may sound like a stupid argument, but I would say there were three reasons that Death Mountain would be a good resting place for Valoo.

Firstly: Death Mountain is a sacred place, do not forget in previous games the presence of Sages and Great Fairies.
Secondly: Death Mountain was always a place that was, let's say, prone to evil. Given that it was Ganon's old hideaway, used to contain the portal to the dark world, and has always been filled with monsters and bosses. So having something as big and powerful and pure and good there as Valoo, seems like a good idea to me. Sure they did infact get attacked, but I don't think even Valoo would be able to fight off Ganons evil. I expect he was just placed there to ward off against smaller threats.
My third and final point is that: Valoo is a dragon and we have seen before, from previous games (Volvagia) that Death Mountain is an ideal location for a dragon to live and strive among the fire and rock.

My final point as to why I think that Death Mountain is Dragon Roost Island is because, you remember how I said that in Spectacle rock he never see any remnants of Ganon's castle? Well in Death Mountain, it is so big, that everytime you enter, you could be entering at different points, and there could be honestly no point where you go into the same room twice in any game because Death Mountain is so huge.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I've always heard and assumed that Death Mountain was Dragon Roost Island. It's high, and full of lava/magma.
Plus, I read somewhere (I haven't played this dungeon in like 4 years, so I cannot remember) that one of the rooms in this dungeon was similar to that of Dodongo's Cavern.
And don't the two somewhat match up on the maps? I also saw a picture of that before, but that too was a long time ago.

Clucluclu

Time for waffles
I'd like to point out that it is possible that during the events of WW, Spectacle Rock didn't even exist. I believe that the only game we ever see it in is LoZ, which is on a completely different timeline.

I'd like to point out that it is possible that during the events of WW, Spectacle Rock didn't even exist. I believe that the only game we ever see it in is LoZ, which is on a completely different timeline.

No. It is also in The Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Spectacle_Rock

And trust me, it's not just because there are two exact rock formations next to each other. Most of the time, it's proven by in game quotes.

Clucluclu

Time for waffles
Well, you got me there, but in the only game with spectacle rock that would come before WW, OoT, it says that Spectacle Rock is inside death mountain, so I can't quite imagine how it would get out in tact, or somehow become the tallest mountain in the Great Sea.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
Has anyone not noticed that when getting the magic armor you trade things with Gorons. Well these Gorons move around between islands and can be found on many different islands. So what probably happened was that during the long time between the flooding and Windwaker Gorons moved from there volcanic homes at dragon roost Island and started to traverse by boat or something across Land. giving them the habit they have as merchants around Hyrule. And explaining why they are found everywhere across the great sea

Zarom

The King
Yeah. Chrono has very good points. But me, I think that in WW, they did the Spectacle Island (representing Spectacle Rock) AND Dragon Roost Island (Death Mountain) as both being SEPARATE places.

And I have to say I agree 100% with angelkid.

Anyway, it's my opinion, and I won't change it. :D

Last edited:
i don't know what happened to the grons,but the inside area where you first talk to the chief looks like the very bottom level of goron city

Go to the island called, Spectacle Island. Spectacle Rock is in Death Mountain, and those two points are the tip.
The presence of Spectacle Island doesn't mean much. It's appeared on various locations of Death Mountain throughout the series (none of which I recall being on the peak,) and even in locations other than Death Mountain.

Anyway, I find it most likely that Dragon Roost is Death Mountain. It's the tallest island (barring the Tower of the Gods, which isn't actually an island) and it has the cloud ring around it. It's also a volcano, with a dragon bearing a name similar to Volvagia.

The absence of the Gorons is easily explained by their nomadic nature in Wind Waker. They seem to be wandering merchants.

Clucluclu

Time for waffles
I agree with you 100% Axel, but I would like to point out that if you look closley, Spectacle Rock is actually the highest point in both LoZ and aLttP, but this doesn't matter much becauseee they are on a different timeline.

Gohma

Mmmmmmmmmh... BOMBS
Maybe Ganon Warlock Punched the DM.
I mean, with no hero to beat him, he could have kill the Gorons by blowing up the top of the moutain. It would explain how it became so small by the way.
About the Spectacle rock...
In Alttp, the DM takes almost half of the map, so I think it could be that far from Dragon Roost Island as well.

My most probable idea: Another failed attempt from Nintendo to connect games. =3=

I agree with you 100% Axel, but I would like to point out that if you look closley, Spectacle Rock is actually the highest point in both LoZ and aLttP, but this doesn't matter much becauseee they are on a different timeline.
Oh, alright, my bad.

Still, it appears in other locations as well, so it doesn't mean that Spectacle Island is Death Mountain. Seeing as how Dragon Roost is the tallest island, I really think it has to be Death Mountain.

Yeah. But they can both (Death Mountain and Spectacle Rock) be far away from each other. The locations of areas are not always the same. For example, the ToT in OOT is in Castle Town. In TP, its in the Sacred Grove (in the Lost Woods) and in ALP, its in the Lost Woods. And remember that Dragon Roost Island is a crater area and there is lava and fire inside it. So, they separate Spectacle Rock from Death Mountain in this game. They are now at two different places in the AT.

Death Mountain in OoT is not all of Death Mountain. There are many places in Hyrule that we can't see. But Spectacle Rock can be seen in LoZ and AoL. Spectacle Island IS supposed to be relevant to Spectacle Rock in Hyrule. They wouldn't have named it after it and made it look similar if it weren't. On the other side, you have Dragon Roost, which seems like Death Mountain in OoT, but there is no proof behind it; Only relevance. Spectacle Island has the similar shape and name of Spectacle Rock.

B

Bongo_Bongo

Hmmm... This really is a puzzle. Let's examine the facts, shall we?

On the adult timeline, Zelda has sent Link back to relive his lost seven years, and Hyrule is without a hero. Spectacle Rock is inside of Death Mountain Crater. Several years later, Hyrule has been flooded. Now, there seems to be an island bearing a striking resemblance to Death Mountain, and another island bearing the name and general appearance of Spectacle Rock.

That is what we know for sure. What we can infer is that they cannot both be what they appear to be, one of them is brand new. And since Spectacle Rock is, listen closely, INSIDE of Death Mountain, it is obviously not the highest point in Hyrule. Therefore, I am taking a loose guess that Spectacle Island is NOT Spectacle Rock, and Dragon Roost Island MAY be Death Mountain.

(I like to think that Death Mountain and Dragon Roost are one in the same, but I can't explain the loss of so many Gorons...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom