• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Controls for Skyward Sword

Sabel27

Advanced Ocarinaist
I have recently been wondering about the controls in Skyward Sword. We all know that you will swing the Wii remote to swing the sword and that the nunchuck will act as the shield. We know the uses of some of the buttons such as the B button, the A button, the + button, the - button, and the Z button. The D-pad, the 1 button, the 2 button, and the C button are the buttons that leave us wondering, especially since the new trailer has come out. What do you think these buttons are used for?

Known Button Uses

A Button - Various things (dash, talk, ect.)
B Button - Item screen/use item
+ Button - Map screen
- Button - Drink potion
Z Button - Lock on

Unknown Button Uses
I wasn't at the demo at E3 so I am sorry if some of these buttons already have a use. I think that these buttons will be used like this:

C Button - 1st person view (like in Twilight Princess)
1 Button - Well, it doesn't look like it will toggle the map on and off (like in Twilight Princess) since the instructions for the nunchuck will be in the way. Could be used for almost anything.
2 Button - Could be used for almost anything. (Quest Status?)
D-pad - It looks like the down button on the D-pad is how you summon the sword girl. The up button looks like it is used to play the new instrument, the lyre/harp. I have no clue what the right and left buttons will do.

Of course, these are just my assumptions. What are yours?

1 Button - Well, it doesn't look like it will toggle the map on and off (like in Twilight Princess) since the instructions for the nunchuck will be in the way. Could be used for almost anything.

the instructions for the nunchuck, aka HUD, will be removed in the final version of the game (or thats what they said) even if you can just turn it off, they can place the map anywhere else, I think that a little map on screen is very useful and somewhat needed

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Don't forget the quest menu (pause menu), we still don't have a button for that. Anyway, Nintendo wants to keep the controls simple, so maybe some buttons will have no use?

Every button needs a use, even if it does the same as another button. Buttons without uses confuse players. At least they confuse me.

A to jump, B to run... ;)

I really liked the way Twilight Princess' controls were laid out.. maybe Nintendo will model or have modeled the controls after TP.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
A to jump, B to run... ;)

I really liked the way Twilight Princess' controls were laid out.. maybe Nintendo will model or have modeled the controls after TP.

I agree. Twilight Princess had great controls, which were easy to use. I hope Nintendo bases the controls off of TP's.

I doubt that - will be for drinking potion in the final game, because it seems kinda stupid having a whole button dedicated to just one item, but I dunno, well just wait and see I guess

Ganondork

goo
I think you can set the harp to any of the three buttons on the D-Pad that aren't used for calling Zordiana(the sword girl). It makes sense. Just like how you could set the Ocarina to any of the 3 C's in OoT.​
Granted that it was in fact a harp. I think that it might be a lyre because OoA used a harp of Ages already. I may be wrong, because MM had the OoT, but it may be simply because they were doing a sequel for it.

Ganondork

goo
Yes, well, there is that. But whether it's a harp or a lyre, it's beside the point!
hahaha true, true. it would make sense to give it it's own button so you won't have to go to the wheel and equip it like in OoT and MM, I hated that. I always put it away and then suddenly I would need it again moments later -.-

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
hahaha true, true. it would make sense to give it it's own button so you won't have to go to the wheel and equip it like in OoT and MM, I hated that. I always put it away and then suddenly I would need it again moments later -.-

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had that problem sometimes too. But not assigning it to a permenant button allows you more space for other items. I'd say that's a big plus.

Ganondork

goo
Yeah, I know what you mean. I had that problem sometimes too. But not assigning it to a permenant button allows you more space for other items. I'd say that's a big plus.
Oh god, definately. Nothing like having four things out (I believe that was the max in TP's wii version) and the instrument. If OoT was like that, I'd never have to revisit the pause menu to switch out items!

Ganondork

goo
Amen, brother. And why am I just now responding to this?

Weird.
Haha, I actually forgot about this forum for a bit. But really, musical instruments are so vital that they deserve their own buttons. Like I found it dumb that you needed to equip the iron boots in TP instead of going to the shoe section like they did in OoT, it was much more convenient. Aside from the cube-like pause menu which I could never figure out..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom