• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Concern About Majora's Mask 3D

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
As most of us know, "Operation Moonfall" is a fan project designed to encourage Nintendo to make a Majora's Mask 3D for the 3DS. Ocarina of Time 3D was such a success, many fans yearned for more, and Majora's Mask 3D would be a perfect follow up. However, having played and beaten Ocarina of Time 3D numerous times myself, I can tell you it was much easier than the original. The difficulty was numbed a bit. For example, Dark Link is much, much easier to beat in the 3DS version as opposed to the N64/GC versions. Also, there were more in-game hints to help you through the story that were not present in the original. My concern is this: Will Majora's Mask suffer the same downgrade through a 3DS remake?

Seeing the world of Termina in 3D would certainly be something worth seeing, and the mask transformations, the moon, the characters, the bosses, all of this in 3D would be a feast for the eyes. Smoother gameplay, better character animations... All of it would be reason enough to buy it. But, would it be as difficult as we remember? The game itself was the most difficult Zelda game I've ever played, and the deepest as well. This amazing game remastered in stunning 3D would be an unquestionable treat, just like Ocarina of Time 3D was. But what if Majora's Mask 3D were to go through the same dissapointing downgrade in difficulty that Ocarina of Time 3D went through? It would certainly make the experience less incredible for me.

Dungeons like the Stone Tower Temple should never be made easier, not at all. The Stone Tower Temple requires the player to use nearly everything they've gotten throughout the game all in one dungeon. This alone makes it one of the greatest dungeons in Zelda history. Imagine how insulting it would be for it to have a downgrade? It wouldn't be half as fun. While I'm very excited for a Majora's Mask 3D and hoping with all my heart that there will be one, I'm at the same time hoping with all my heart it will not be numbed at all, and it will be the same game many of us love so much. What do you all think of this?

Last edited:

Nickster

Sensei Sampai Sama
I agree of not downgrading Stone Tower. Zelda players in this generation have played too many easy Zelda games. Ocarina of Time gave them a challange, but the downgrade of the Water Temple made it easier for them. I think they should get to play hard dungeons like they should be doing.

Yeah, it would be very disappointing if they made anything easier. The point of Majora's Mask is that you have already beaten Ocarina of Time, so everything needs a higher skill level.

Besides, Majora's Mask has built in "easy" ways to complete the dungeons and bosses, which is something I like about the game, that you can discover secrets that let you do things more efficiently.

That's weird, I thought OoT 3D had the same difficulty as the N64 version, except for the visions mode. To answer your question, I hope they don't make the game easier. If the player is stuck, they should use something like I don't know... the internet? If the player doesn't have access to the internet, then they should go buy a strategy guide from their game store. I understand that Nintendo is trying to attract newer players to the franchise, but they should just add in the visions and not make the game easier because the visions doesn't hurt the game.

The Water Temple in OoT3D has lights that guide you to the locations where you can change the water level. I suppose if you already have those memorized, having a visual cue wouldn't make much difference, but for others they're a very obvious sign of where you need to go. There were also a couple of crystal switches that used to be behind closed gates in the N64 version. They were moved to the same side you approach them from, I suppose since some people wouldn't get that you could hit it through the gate.

As for Dark Link, I feel like I'm the only one who had a harder time with him in OoT3D than in the N64 game. I remember just using the hammer to hit him in the N64 version, but in OoT3D he kept deflecting it.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I haven't played Ocarina of Time 3D, but I've heard that some parts were indeed lowered in difficulty. However, Majora's Mask was designed almost specifically for Ocarina of Time veterans to play through. Majora's Mask was incredibly difficult in comparison to Ocarina of Time.

I could see maybe some numbing down of bosses (I pray they do so for Gyrog) since they were exceptionally difficult to defeat. However, aside from that, I hope they leave the game alone. Unlike Ocarina of Time, this game doesn't even need a boss-rush mode (or whatever it was called) because you could simply re-fight the bosses and minibosses whenever.

Mickaroo

Call me Micky
I would love to have a MM3D...in fact I would probably buy a 3Ds just for that reason, haha.

But I am extremely worried as well. If they leave the game just as it is, then it would be perfect. It would be awful if they made it even a little easier, like OoT3D. I was a relatively new player when i got it and the difficulty made me love it all the more. And the Stone Tower temple is most definitely one of the greatest dungeons in Zelda history (I personally hope they don't change gyorg). And I like what you said about how cool Termina would be if it was in 3D...I started daydreaming, lol.

The only thing about MM 3D, is that I can see some of the functions with different masks and such being more difficult to maneuver with 3DS controls?

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
I am only in the Fire Temple right now in OoT 3D (on the first quest), but I will admit that they numbed down the difficulty of the game significantly. All these hints from the Sheikah Stones, and so on and so forth. Although there is a real Master Quest now so I guess in some ways it makes up for that. MM 3D wouldn't need a Master Quest, the game is already hard as it is. Plus, mirroring the over world would mess up the story line.

I only have OoT 3D and will soon have LA on it, but I don't know of many other games on my 3DS besides MM that I'd like. I do want a remake, yes. Mainly because the game does need a refresh with graphics, and because the GCN port freezes often, the N64 is old so that also freezes often, and I'm not sure about the VC version. Either way, MM is a great game and despite its ports, is fading away with age.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I do not understand how people think OoT3D was made easier... it was the exact same game. Are they referring to the Hint Movies that are entirely optional and actually quite out of the way if you want to view them? Or the less clunky control system (not that the original was poor, the 3DS system is just much smoother)?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
OoT 3D was in no way easier than the first one. The gameplay is just smoother, and you're probably a bit older than when you first played it. I used to barely hang on against Majora without the Fierce Deity's Mask. Now I kick his tail without it. (And that was after not playing it for 4 years straight.) The only thing that was a disappointment in difficulty was, as you said, Dark Link. He was a joke in OoT 3D. But other than that, it was exactly the same difficulty.

The only thing about MM 3D, is that I can see some of the functions with different masks and such being more difficult to maneuver with 3DS controls?
What functions? Goron rolling I can kind of see since there are a few parts where you have to roll straight forward and the 3DS doesn't have the notches for the cardinal directions like every Nintendo console controller has, but that can easily be fixed by making a 10 degree region or so register as straight forward. Beyond that I don't see any problems.

As for OoT3D being easier, part of that's probably due to having played the game before and/or simply being a more experienced gamer now, and part of that is because there actually were some small changes, like the crystal switch placement I mentioned above.

Alot of the things changed in OoT 3d were the gossip stones to help guide players where to go. So if the same is done in MM3d veteran players should not be affected, because they will know where to go most likely.

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
I would hope that Nintendo, knowing that some of the fans of the older Majora's Mask, wouldn't downgrade the game like they did with OoT 3D. Afterall, many people have personally responded to Nintendo and said that they hope to see the game remade since it was their favorite, they loved the gameplay, etc. With that in mind, they would try to make it to where a new generation could grasp it while still maintaining the difficulty and satisfy experienced players.

What functions? Goron rolling I can kind of see since there are a few parts where you have to roll straight forward and the 3DS doesn't have the notches for the cardinal directions like every Nintendo console controller has, but that can easily be fixed by making a 10 degree region or so register as straight forward. Beyond that I don't see any problems.

You can roll straight if you don't touch the controls once you start rolling =3

And what they made easier in OoT3D to my knowledge was that they gave you hints, not just optional ones, but they showed you in cut-scenes where certain things were and Navi told you to go places or do something that she didn't in the original game. Majora's Mask is more straightforward and Tatl already tells you where each world is, so I don't think they'd add that, and as for showing you things in cut-scenes... I can think of a few places they might do that, but I'm not sure it'll make much difference really.

I really don't want them to make any of the bosses or mini-bosses easier, Majora's Mask already has easier bosses than Ocarina of Time, and the mini-bosses are epic and it would be a shame to make them easier.

I think what they changed in Ocarina of Time were mostly things that people complained about, so the Water Temple and few places where people would get lost, I guess. What do people complain about with Majora's Mask? The time system and save system :( They can't change the time system, that'd be too much work and it'd destroy the point of the game, but I can see them changing the save system. I really hope they don't, or at least if they do it's a very small change, like making the temporary saving easier to do quickly or something that won't mess up the concept. NO perma-saving without the Song of Time! Just no. You mess up you start at the beginning, no just resetting and going back to your last save point. Actions have consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom