• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Chances That SS Will Be Ranked #1 of All Time?

Chances SS will be the #1 ranked game of all time?

• 0% - There is no chance that SS will be #1...ain't no way, ain't now how

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-10% - It's possible, but highly, highly unlikely

• 10-25% - There's a chance, but I would bet against it

• 25-40% - If they pull everything off perfectly, it stands a good chance. It could really happen

• 40-60% - It's about 50-50...it looks like it could challenge for the crown, could go either way

• 60-75% - There is a solid chance. It's probable; more likely than not

• 75-90% - SS should be the highest ranked game of all time. I am expecting it will be

• 90-99% - It's looking like a shoe-in. I would be shocked if this did not take the #1 spot

• 100% - Are you kidding me? This is clearly going to be the most epic, awesome, glorious game ever!

• Total voters

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Wind Waker got a lot of bad rep when people first saw it, but when it came out, it had perhaps one of the darkest back stories (Nearly everybody dying in a flood) and very unique gameplay, massive overworld (that some have called dull), etc.

WW did not have a huge overworld...it did not even have an overworld.

Could SS be the #1 game of all time, yes, it could be, imo...but I put it at a low percentage. Let's just look at the three things reviewers usually focus on:

GAMEPLAY
We already know that this is going to be ground breaking. Motion controls have been the thing animating the industry this year (with Move and Kinect) and have been the biggest innovation since they were introduced in 2006, but nobody has made a truly great motion controlled story-driven game. Zelda could be the first game to really fully incorporate motion controls and get it right. Getting something that everyone will like here is going to be challenging, but it seems like they are going for simplicity and familiarity (Wii Sports Resort) and that should get a lot of people more comfortable with the controls quickly. Further, it looks like they are focusing on faster, denser gameplay with the way the changed the menu and the way they are blending dungeons and fields....this should make it even more fun.

STORY
The two elements we know of the story that we know so far--that Link comes from a land in the clouds and discovers the normal world on the ground and that a mysterious woman becomes his sword--are really very interesting. The idea of anthropomorphizing his sword when you are going to have such an intimate physical relation ship to it is really amazing. All it needs is a human/emotional element like OoT had...

PRESENTATION
This art style (if the fix the trees!) has the potential to be timeless. The more I look at it the more beautiful I think it is. It really has these gorgeous bold strokes of color and the potential power to capture people's imaginations. Further, you can be sure that the music will be among the best that video games have to offer, as they always are with Zelda (and, if they follow up with the same effort they put into Super Mario Galaxy, it could be amazing).

Now, they have to pull all of these things off perfectly to beat out OoT, because that was a game that was revolutionary in each of these categories...but it could be done with this game.

Surpassing OoT is a very difficult task, mostly because it wasn't just a VERY GOOD game, it also revolutionized many stuff for the gaming community.

I don't know how to quantify SS's possibilities, but I think one thing in certain: SS has much higher chances to be number #1 than WW and TP.

With all the information we already have, it's easy to see that this Zelda has a BIG potential! It will be the first hardcore game to apply motion controls intensively. It will modify the classic field-dungeon formula. SS's story opens the biggest net of possible connections to be made with other Zelda games up until now. Even the sidekick this time is the Master Sword itself! Who's better to be our companion than the very sword we have been trusting so much for the past 19 years (huh, I said this but, has this been confirmed yet?)! As long as the graphics are improved (you don't expect to reach 1º place without it, do you?), this game has good chances.

@edit:
I forgot about the orchestrated music! It will be amazing!

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Only after I posted it I noticed I had written almost exactly what you said before. :P

Great minds...and all that jazz.

Surpassing OoT is a very difficult task, mostly because it wasn't just a VERY GOOD game, it also revolutionized many stuff for the gaming community.

So, I was thinking about this...and, yeah sure, surpassing OoT is hard because it revolutionized so many things...but then again look at Super Mario Galazy 2...it is #3 on the all time list and was #1 for a little while...it did not revolutionize anything! Even Super Mario Galaxy 1 for that matter...it was just a solid, well-crafted, fun game...not particularly revolutionary.

Kirino

Tatakae
With all the information we already have, it's easy to see that this Zelda has a BIG potential! It will be the first hardcore game to apply motion controls intensively. It will modify the classic field-dungeon formula. SS's story opens the biggest net of possible connections to be made with other Zelda games up until now. Even the sidekick this time is the Master Sword itself! Who's better to be our companion than the very sword we have been trusting so much for the past 19 years (huh, I said this but, has this been confirmed yet?)! As long as the graphics are improved (you don't expect to reach 1º place without it, do you?), this game has good chances.

@edit:
I forgot about the orchestrated music! It will be amazing!

Your points perfectly say what i meant.First:the gameplay. This game will change the formula,and will use motion controls intensivly.If they pull those off as good as they say they are,10/10 for gameplay.and the story.this games story could be the origin of all Zelda games!It could be the thing that ties all the games toghether! And the graphics could be revolutionary if done right. Also the first Zelda with orcastrated music!I think the chances are good.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I think it's way too early to tell right now. We barely know anything about SS right now.

But if I had to choose now, I'd say it's probably 1-10%. It's WW all over again with most people judging the game and saying "Oh, it's a piece of crud" before they even play it, so I kinda doubt that it'll get as large enough of a positive reaction to get a perfect rating and end up surpassing OoT. It's possible, but the chances don't look very good.

So, I was thinking about this...and, yeah sure, surpassing OoT is hard because it revolutionized so many things...but then again look at Super Mario Galazy 2...it is #3 on the all time list and was #1 for a little while...it did not revolutionize anything! Even Super Mario Galaxy 1 for that matter...it was just a solid, well-crafted, fun game...not particularly revolutionary.

Well, I think Super Mario Galaxy was revolutionary, but it wasn't THAT much of a revolution and nobody noticed it. I mean, it didn't set standards for gaming or stuff like that, but just when everybody was thinking "Yeah, we can't do much more with 3D. We've reached the limit." Super Mario Galaxy came up with this completely new idea which felt incredibly fresh and proved there's still more to discover!

By the way, why is Galaxy 2 behind Galaxy 1? They're basically the same, with the follow up having more ideas, variety, and content. What kind of site would give a better score to the original Galaxy?

Austin

Austin
I'm not going to bother voting because it's simply impossible to tell. All we've seen is a somewhat unfinished version of the art style, a rough explanation of how the game will play and a title. Those three minute aspects aren't nearly enough to predict how the game will turn out quality-wise. It is a possibility, Super Mario Galaxy 2 knocked OoT down for a few days, so I wouldn't be surprised if we had a situation like that again, considering that it's another Nintendo game. But until I get the game in my hands, or at least see some more trailers and screenshots, I won't be able to judge.

I voted 40-60%. It has the potential to top OoT, but that will only happen if gamers overlook the graphics and actually play the game. When OoT came out the graphics were amazing and were as realistic as graphics were in 1998. SS's graphics are amazing, but aren't realistic so it will be overlooked by A LOT of people. Most people who owned the N64 in 1998 got OoT. I don't think most Wii owners will get Skyward Sword. If they do though, SS could definately top OoT.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Well, I think Super Mario Galaxy was revolutionary, but it wasn't THAT much of a revolution and nobody noticed it. I mean, it didn't set standards for gaming or stuff like that, but just when everybody was thinking "Yeah, we can't do much more with 3D. We've reached the limit." Super Mario Galaxy came up with this completely new idea which felt incredibly fresh and proved there's still more to discover!

By the way, why is Galaxy 2 behind Galaxy 1? They're basically the same, with the follow up having more ideas, variety, and content. What kind of site would give a better score to the original Galaxy?

Well, don't get me wrong...SMG did break some new ground. The way it played with gravity was pretty stunning, and you're right, that it proved the 3D platformers still deserve to be given attention (I wish there were more!). But as to my point, just take SMG 2, it is really, really hard to argue that that game is revolutionary...I guess the only way that you could say that it is is that it really cut down on the exploration for a 3D platformer and focused more on fast-paced action...also, more than any game I can think of, it kept introducing new gameplay mechanics, new features, almost every level--it was relentlessly creative in terms of gameplay. That was pretty impressive. It's the closest a 3D platformer has ever come to having the fast-fun pacing of a 2D platformer.

Also, as for SMG 2 scoring just below SMG 1...I think a lot of it has to do with the novelty that SMG 1 had. Once SMG 2 came along, it was not longer a surprise. It was kind of a "more of a good thing" sort of deal. Also, there were some things that I personally liked better abut SMG: many of my favorite levels between the 2 games are in SMG 1 (Toy-Time, Matter-Splatter, Luigi's Purple Coins); it was nice to have some sort of a story (though not necessary); I strongly prefer the Bowser battles in 1 to those in 2.

S

sheik freak

I think it might because they kinda mix the game with twilight,and windwaker,
and they added a little ocarina of time s be one of the greatest zelda games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom