• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cell Shading Vs. Realistic Graphics

Cell Shading Vs. Realistic Graphics

• I prefer realistic graphics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I prefer cell shading graphics

• I don't care about graphics

• Total voters
S

seacher99

I know there were many threads about the graphics, but I could not find a poll yet.
Some of you will prefer the realistic graphics, because it makes the game darker and more adult.
I personally do not care about the graphics, if the game is great. Anyway, I love the graphics of SS!

I like the style of TP more. I don't however, call them "realistic" in the slightest anymore. They're just not when compared to other graphics of other games on other consoles. But it's not like Nintendo had a choice with the graphic style this time. The gameplay they wanted required it, so it had to be done the toony way whether they liked it or not, just because gameplay must always come first in the eyes of Nintendo.

Plus, it's wrong to say that cel-shading can't be realistic. I've seen it done excellently, far superior to what WW would have you believe is "cel-shading."

truth be told, i love them both. i just loved TP's lighting effect and it's realism while SS's is unique and colorful. i voted for the 3rd option because i couldn't choose between the two. (though i would have been a little dissapointed if it was WW's cel shading)

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
This is tough. I like the cartoony style in Wind Waker and would love to see it return on the console. But then I like the realistic look because it looks more mature.

Sometimes I would like to see a more realistic mature Zelda were it has the dark times of the olden days. Walking around Hyrule and seeing dead bodies of the punished and Link having better combat piercing a creature and kicking them off his blade with blood.

But then The cel-shaded look just looks so good with all the colors and great designs that makes me wish they made a cartoon out of it.

It's too damn hard! Screw it I'm going to kill myself!:lol:

Last edited:

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Personally, I like realistc. Not because it's better graphics but because they seem more mature and dark. And I don't know, like the Toon version but I don't dislike it either.

Meh… I don’t really mind the graphics as much as gameplay, but I liked the way Wind Waker turned out. The design Nintendo is planning on using in Skyward Sword seems okay, although I would prefer either to go one way on graphics and not mixing them together. Since the series began, each incarnation of Link gets his own graphics style. I think it should stay that way. Toon Shading is meant for Toon Link’s adventures, and the classic “ragged” graphics belong to Ocarina of Time Link. Since this is a new hero, I think it’s fine they try something new—as long as if he returns, the graphics return as well.

Kybyrian

I prefer the Cel Shading, really. The more "realistic" graphics that TP had were nice, but for some reason don't actually appeal to me as much as the graphics of Skyward Sword. Of course there can be improvements on some thing in Skyward Sword, such as the trees, but for the most part Skyward Sword looks great. I'm liking the graphics better than that of TP.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I am boycotting this poll because there is not option that suits me...I do care about graphics...but I would not say that I prefer one or the other--I just want it to look good (which it does!...er...except for the fugly trees).

Many people say that the graphics of this game remind them of TP.
Many people say that the graphics of this game remind them of WW.

Actually, the graphics of this game remind me of two games that they are not being compared to very much at all: ALttP and MC. Those games have a stylized, timeless type of graphics, but are not so Disney/anime-esque as WW, PH, or SP. This game is going to age well.

If they fix the trees.

Linebeck1000

Legendary Captain
*Sigh* Isn't there an 'I like them both' option? I think they were both good for the story they were meant to portray. I can't possibly choose between WW and TP. However, I'm not a big fan of SS's graphical combination of both just yet. I know Miyamoto and Aonuma said they were necessary for the gameplay or whatever, but sometimes they just say what people want to hear. I still think they are an attempt to please both crowds, and mixing two good things together doesn't always make it better.

RamboZelda

bullets of pure awesome
I like the cel-shading better. I'm more into bright things, the cartoony feel. Cel-shading produces beautiful, vivid colors, and I love that so much. Maybe it's just the nostalgia talking, because TWW was the first Zelda I ever played. Not trying to put a damper on TP's graphics, which were also great, but I just have to go with cel-shading.

Steve

5/19/13
As I've said before, I don't consider these graphics to be cel shaded at all, and they remind me more of Ocarina of Time, actually. Regardless, I much prefer the artistry and creativity that is present in these graphics, than just an attempt at realism, that you see in most other games. Video games, in my opinion, are a form of art, and their detail reflects the work put into it.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
My username might make you think that I prefer cel-shading but about ten minutes into most games I completely forget about things such as graphics and focus on what task I'm supposed to be doing. If The Wind Waker had realistic graphics I would have had just as much fun fighting through the dungeons, completing the Nintendo Gallery, or just doing nothing in particular.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Just to straighten things out, Cel Shading isn't an art style in and of itself in the slightest. Proving that is that TP was partially cel shaded. It's just a technique to make things look brighter.

As for my opinion, I really just prefer a bright, vivid style (cel shading) to a dark, realistic style (realism). Not to say I think realism looks bad, it really does look good, but I just prefer a bright vivid style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom