• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Baby Loftwing in My Yard...

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Okay so it's kinda impossible for it to be a loftwing...but I'm not kidding, it has the same style of beak. Found it on the ground and put it in one of the flower boxes on the fence so the cats and dog wouldnt get it, along with 3 sunflower seeds. The poor thing can't fly yet, it's completely helpless. I've heard mother birds sometimes abandon the babies if theyve been handled...let's hope that doesnt happen. I think it knows I'm trying to help it though, I was talking to it and it looked right at me.

So, yeah. Has anyone else rescued any baby birds...

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Yes, actually. Before I moved, there was a duck nest on the roof of my house. So when baby ducklings were born, they'd fall off our roof. We helped them get down, does that count?

Dragoncat

Huh. There was a reply here that said "pics or it didnt happen", but when I came back with the pic, that post had gone poof begone.
image.jpg
You can't see the loftwing beak...I didnt want to touch it again to get a better picture though. We don't want its parents to let it die.

Ducks on a roof? That's something I've never heard of before.

univpark

Heart of Steel
Once there was a nest beneath the axle of my grandpa's old truck with eggs in it. We moved the nest nearby so they didn't get run over.

They hatched a few weeks later, right after I left the farm, actually.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
First of all, that thing is adorable. However, you either need to find where it came from or be prepared to take care of it. If not, go to your local wildlife rescue and they can take care of it. The mother rejecting the baby because of scent in birds is an urban legend; it will accept it back if you found out where it came from. Baby birds like that need to be kept warm; you should take it inside for now if you can. Find a box, get something soft and place it in there somewhere warm. It should snuggle up. This one appears to be old enough to at least hop, so it has a lower chance of catching pneumonia.

Secondly a little one like that can't eat those sunflower seeds, it's too hard for them. This one doesn't appear to be just a nestling as it has feathers and what not. Some species eat mainly fruit and others insects. You can also crack open sunflower seeds, and crush them for the bird. Try to identify the species ideally before feeding it. Make sure you leave a little container of water for it somewhere; but if it can't drink soak it's food or it'll get dehydrated. Never force water down their throats, most who do this actually drown the bird. I'm not sure what species this is; but don't feed it anything too hard or too manmade/processed. Look around for any birds like it, they might accept it and it can go back into the wild or if night doesn't fall leave it on the ground if there is no danger, the parents will feed it on the ground. Bring it inside for the night, it will get too cold.

You can try and identify the bird here. Once you've identified your bird, protein eating birds can be fed a mixture of baby bird food blended with meal or earth worms. Fruit eaters can be fed crushed fresh native berries like blueberries, blackberries,and raspberries. Most pet stores carry baby bird formula mix. If it won't eat gently spoon feed it, do not force open it's mouth or force it down it's throat.

On another note that poor thing looks kind of damp and cold, better get it warm.

Hope this helps!

Dragoncat

I have it in a box with a towel, water, and little crumbs of bread. I figured out it's an eastern collared dove.

That information was a blessing and a curse...it probably wouldnt have made it through the night if I kept it out there, BUT my parents are being trolls and dont want wild birds in their house, so it's in a shop attached to the garage. -_- I need to move out.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
I have it in a box with a towel, water, and little crumbs of bread. I figured out it's an eastern collared dove.

That information was a blessing and a curse...it probably wouldnt have made it through the night if I kept it out there, BUT my parents are being trolls and dont want wild birds in their house, so it's in a shop attached to the garage. -_- I need to move out.

Please make sure it has a heat source near by a heating pad or lamp even will do the trick. Don't feed it very much bread, it can be used in a pinch, but that little one feeds mainly on seeds from cereals and grasses, but it also takes some buds, fruits, berries, insects and other invertebrates. Any of these things will do.

That's so sad :( I don't know much about caring for baby birds, just make sure you do some real research and maybe call some wildlife organization.

One time a whole nest of baby blue birds fell onto the hedges in our yard. We fed them some blueberries, but the mother came and started to attack us . . .
We ended up giving the birds over to some sort of animal welfare group, and we actually found the mom dead in our yard a few days later. It was a bizarre weekend, for sure . . .
We had a funeral for the mom v.v

WechyPichu

is hiding behind 7 froxie
MAYBE YOU CAN RIDE IT!
All kidding aside, that thing is cute. Teaching it how to fly will be hard though. Dont hurt yourself when you teach it!

Oh you are a hero to the birds for trying your very best.
To you two above posters trying reading what the bird hero has to say first ! She said the poor thing didn't make it.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Well, we TRIED to save some baby quails that were born in our backyard...

...But they were too scared of us to let us help them out of the yard (since they were kind of trapped in there). Annnd a week later, after dropping off one by one, they all disappeared. We have no idea what happened to them. D:

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

Jk.

I myself have never saved a bird, but that's so cool how you did. I really wish that I could see what it looks like, a loftwing baby...SO AWESOME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom