• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Arguments -against- a Female Link?

Skywaker

Cheese & bacon potato
It's funny—just the other day I was thinking about this and drew Link as a female. xD

I don't mean to offend anyone who would like Link to be a female, but I personally don't want to be playing a Zelda game with Link as a girl. With that said, I'm agreeing wih above posts that it would be too much of a change, after all these years with Link as a male.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Link already looks like a female, Adding the option to make him thinner and have a larger chest could hardly be a problem. The best thing will always be to just give players a choice, Wether they wanna be the girl in the green garb fighting evil or the boy. I always go for the female versions of the heroes in games where you have a choice to do so, So being able to do that in Zelda would be awesome.

Do not fix something that isn't broken. They don't need a change the only change I would like to see is TP art graphics on the Wii U HD.

You-Know-Who

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
In hiding... waiting to kill Harry Potter....
Well, maybe there could be a game where you choose to be either Link or Zelda, and you get 2 different stories. I was actually thinking a while ago that you can play as 3 characters from the triforce: Link, Zelda, and someone else (Ganondorf being good, maybe?), and they have separate dungeons or joined dungeons (i.e. Link goes to the Temple of Courage while Zelda goes to the Temple of Wisdom, and then they have to follow someone in this dungeon and must work together to solve the puzzles.

LumiGem

He gave me LOADED DICE!
I'm not trying to be a butthurt fangirl, but after 25 years of Link being male all this time..that would kind of bust the Legend of Zelda feel. I'll be honest: Heroines are awesome, but that's too big of a change. Let's keep Link-ette in fan works and fan-made online games.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm not trying to be a butthurt fangirl, but after 25 years of Link being male all this time..that would kind of bust the Legend of Zelda feel. I'll be honest: Heroines are awesome, but that's too big of a change. Let's keep Link-ette in fan works and fan-made online games.
Please don't use the term "butthurt" ever again, gosh that term is horrible. So what if you don't like a change, it doesn't mean your butt is hurting. Gawsh. >_<'

Okay, back to on topics. What exactly would make the LoZ feel go away, should Link become female? I mean, we've seen Zelda become the main character and even not make an appearance whatsoever, and those haven't removed the "LoZ feel". We've seen Zelda go from completely unimportant character to a very important one and that hasn't removed the LoZ feel. We've seen Link's hair go from brown to PINK and that hasn't removed the LoZ feel. Art styles, gameplay, items, main antagonists...so many of these things have been changed and yet the feel stays all the same (bar SS, for me).

I get that Link going girl would be a bit off, but in my mind I don't get why it would completely kill the game. And besides, isn't the Legend of Zelda series all about experimentation (well, it used to be about exploration but by the turn of the 21st century, the series has pretty much become analogous to experimentation)? They switch things up all the time, and Link's gender, in my honest opinion, should be the next thing.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
This willl sound cliche coming from a girl, but I don't see a huge reason not to have a female Link. I mean, even thought its rare to see a female heroine, doesn't mean you can't have one. Games like Final Fantasy for example have male & female heroes. Why is it bad to change it? Zelda can still be a girl & Gandorf can still be a guy only it will be a female saving the day for once. I understand why it would be wierd to have a female Link though, so the closes we'll ever get to a female Link are Fan Art like this Female Link2.jpg

Attachments

• female Link.jpg
    female Link.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0
  • Female Link 3.jpg
    Female Link 3.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I personally think it would be... awkward if Link was a girl. After all these years, his gender is one thing that should not be changed in my opinion. Now don't get me wrong, having a female hero would be awesome! If Nintendo decided to create a new franchise, maybe they should take the idea of a heroine into account. I agree that change is not always a bad thing, and that sometimes change is needed to see what works and what doesn't, however; I feel that this change would be too much.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Concerning the argument that Link is Zelda in many non-fans' mind: This will only worsen if they switch Link's gender. We already have a hard enough time convincing these people that Zelda isn't the main protagonist but rather that the male hero clad in green is; I don't want to have to complicate this further by throwing in a female Link into the equation. There's a reason characters like Mario, Luigi, Samus, Kirby, etc. are the exact same every time: name recognition.

And speaking of Samus....
This right here is basically what they would end up with if they did a gender switch on Link. They're both near-mute protagonists (disregarding the abominations known as the CD-i games, that cartoon show, and Other M), are both lone wolfs for the most part, and are both extremely courageous in the face of danger. Yeah I'd like to play as a female protagonist every once in a while, that's what Samus is there for. She's been a female ever since her creation, and the name recognition is a powerful force.

Also as a side note..... I really like the way Link looks and acts. More than any other male protagonist out there, I want to BE Link. He's a top-tier role model for me, up there with Batman and Harry Potter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom