• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are You Satisfied With The Wii U?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Honestly the recent rumors of the NX only make me more happy with the WiiU.
Why is this?
According to the rumors.
NX is going to be a more powerful Wii U(to what extent is unknown, depending on if it uses the X1 or X2), that's less expensive, and has utility because it's actually portable, and it can be played on the TV.

Not to mention, the NX is already getting strong third party support(not late ports or Ubisoft garbage). It's also likely to get way more first party support as well.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
As far as the software goes, absolutely. The Wii U offers some of the best games on the market, period. As of when this post is written, the Wii U still has the best games of the generation (that may change since there won't be more Wii U games, and the PS4 is still getting games).

There is only one console you can play Xenoblade X, Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, Bayonetta 2, Splatoon, and Mario Kart 8, and that's the Wii U. Ergo, hands down, the Wii U is the best console out right now. Not to mention the definitive versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Smash 4, Zombi/ZombiU, and Monster Hunter 3U (which is just an upgraded version of Tri, but a far superior version).

I don't really get when people say the software was lacking. No, it didn't have FIFA, or Call of Duty, or Destiny. I guess people really love their shooters and only their shooters, and if that's the case, then yeah, sure, the Wii U had nothing for you. But if you actually like games, then the Wii U was for you.

I've said this in a dozen different threads: if you couldn't find ONE game on the Wii U you liked, among the ones I mentioned and MORE, then you don't like games. You can like games like the Witcher and Halo and still enjoy games like Topical Freeze or Splatoon. The argument that the games suck as you're playing your boring, rehashed games is stupid and it makes you sound like a moron.

----end----

As far as the hardware, no, I was not satisfied. Not because it was a weak console. I don't consider the PS3 or the X360 weak consoles. They're old. They're old in the sense that something newer and better has come out, but that doesn't make them bad, or weak, or crappy, or no longer satisfactory, or trash, or anything. They're just weaker. Outdated. That doesn't mean that they're no longer good.

The Wii U could have been better had it been more powerful. And I'm not just talking about the games, but that's mostly where power comes into play.

There was nothing wrong with the power the Wii U had. It just simply should have had more. It wasn't a good enough upgrade. It lacked. And it still produced some of the most gorgeous visuals I've ever seen. Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, and even MK8, had some breath-taking vistas. Those games weren't hurt by the Wii U's lack of power. They weren't worse because they didn't have the PS4's power. Could they have been better? Sure. But were they in some way made worse? No.

I was dissatisfied because of the missed potential. The GamePad was a farce, for example. It was a controller that had potential, and that potential was wasted.

We were also given a really crappy Virtual Console. And I only mean that in comparison to the Wii's, which was the single greatest collection of games in one machine the world has ever seen. The Wii U's VC was trash in comparison, as far as content.

tl;dr — The Wii U is one of my favorite consoles ever. It has some of the best games I've ever played on it. However, I can't help but feel it will always be known as the console that had all that potential, and that potential was killed off by Nintendo themselves.

Why is this?
According to the rumors.
NX is going to be a more powerful Wii U(to what extent is unknown, depending on if it uses the X1 or X2), that's less expensive, and has utility because it's actually portable, and it can be played on the TV.

Not to mention, the NX is already getting strong third party support(not late ports or Ubisoft garbage). It's also likely to get way more first party support as well.

The NX sounds like it came out of a Dr Frankenstein story, detachable controllers? i want a proper, ergonomic controller with great build quality. Small screen? i dont play on the go. In fact the NX sounds like a beefier 3DS, and i dont like the form factor of the 3Ds. The whole thing sounds like a toy kids take to school to play pokemon with, to me that is nor very appealing.

As far as 3rd party support goes i dont see how it has a strong support as of yet, when most 3rd party developers dont know what the thing is. And honestly, Ubisoft was the saving grace of the wiiu many months after release, i dont know why you guys are being ungrateful towards them. They tried harder than anyone else in the industry to support ninntendos crazy ideas.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The NX sounds like it came out of a Dr Frankenstein story, detachable controllers? i want a proper, ergonomic controller with great build quality. Small screen? i dont play on the go. In fact the NX sounds like a beefier 3DS, and i dont like the form factor of the 3Ds. The whole thing sounds like a toy kids take to school to play pokemon with, to me that is nor very appealing.
Then good. The NX caters to you as well. Just set up your console on its TV connector permanently, grab yourself you bluetooth controller, and get playing. You don't have to play on the go. You can play entirely at home. Not only this, but it will be more powerful than the Wii U and for a far cheaper price. This time with no touch screen, no gyroscope, and no weird control schemes in games.
As far as 3rd party support goes i dont see how it has a strong support as of yet, when most 3rd party developers dont know what the thing is. And honestly, Ubisoft was the saving grace of the wiiu many months after release, i dont know why you guys are being ungrateful towards them. They tried harder than anyone else in the industry to support ninntendos crazy ideas.
What exactly did Ubisoft do?
Create an okay launch game for the system. It was okay.
Make a Rayman game that was originally going to be exclusive to the Wii U. Then all of a sudden, nope! They made it for PS3 and XB360 and then delayed the Wii U version of the game?
Port Watchdogs over a full year after it originally released?

I mean. Ubisoft did try more than other third party developers. But their support still wasn't exactly good.

Then good. The NX caters to you as well. Just set up your console on its TV connector permanently, grab yourself you bluetooth controller, and get playing. You don't have to play on the go. You can play entirely at home. Not only this, but it will be more powerful than the Wii U and for a far cheaper price. This time with no touch screen, no gyroscope, and no weird control schemes in games.

I think what he's trying to say is that he doesn't want to see the quality suffer when switching from portable to TV. I find it hard to imagine that the specs and power of the NX are current gen level because of its portability. Then again, I'm just a stupid fan so what do I know.

As long as the software is great and plentiful, it shouldn't really matter.

Riding the console through didnt feel too bad, and as long as there were games on the horizon, the string of games on the system felt very strong.

Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Splatoon, Yoshi's Wooly World Mario Kart 8 were all great games.

Then we had the surprise entries like Hyrule Warriors and Pokken

We also had some nice third party games such as Project Zero 5 and Bayonetta 2.

We had remakes of two of the best Zelda games there are, which is nothing to get cranky over either.

But then things just sort of stopped, and then the games coming were kind of sucky. Star Fox wasn't great, neither was Kirby or Tokyo Mirage.

Then... Nothing. The horizon is blank. Stick Star 2 and perhaps a flawed version of BotW...

No Metroid, no F-Zero...

With the Wii U, as long as there was something on the horizon then things looked and felt great, but the games slowed down and then started sucking...

Now, looking back, it was meh. The games weren't bad, but aside from a small handful, didn't revitalise or reinvent anything like Metroid Prime did on GameCube or Galaxy on Wii.

The WiiU looking back is just kind of meh now that its over.

I'm disappointed but not in a terribly profound way like I was with the Wii. Its probably my second favourite Nintendo console

Last edited:

Browen

xXThatReallyEmoNameXx
I've had the Wii U ever since it came out. I've had many good moments, mainly from Splatoon, MK8 and Smash, but to be honest, it's not that great. It just didn't seem to be at the same level of previous consoles. Sure, the good games were incredible BUT oh the amount of bad ones. There were so many bootleg games I've never heard of too. Nintendo released many poor main title games and didn't have many of the big releases. I just wasn't impressed with how it turned out. I felt like I didn't get what I wanted out of it. The main reason was actually for BotW...funny joke right?

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
To be perfectly honest, no. I was not satisfied with the Wii U. The problem was that games were few and far between (and my Wii U collected many dust bunnies as a result), and games often felt like rehashes of previous titles (Super Smash Bros.; Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze) or was devoid of content (Amiibo Festival; Mario Tennis Ultra Smash). You could say that Hyrule Warriors was a nice change of pace, but anyone whose played a few Musou games will tell you it was just Dynasty Warriors with a Zelda skin on top. Fun, but plays just like any other Musou game. The Virtual Console section was sorely lacking; HD remasters were overpriced.

But Bayonetta 2 was somehow even more over the top with its action than the original. Splatoon was a welcomed breath of fresh air in the shooter community, and while I complain about Xenoblade Chronicles X's story, it was a genuinely good game. But they are only a small handful of games from Nintendo that felt fresh and fun.

But then again, I haven't had a fond opinion on this generation of consoles and the games they've put out. It's not just Nintendo shoving remakes, rehashes and remasters down our throats -- Sony, Microsoft and several third party developers have been doing the same thing. Really, this generation of games has felt either too weak or too safe.

Last edited:

Ambient Nomad

Home Starmy
...no, not really. Admittedly, we only have a handful of games. (Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros., wind Waker HD and Yoshi's wooly world). I love the games we have, but the library as a whole is seriously lacking. Other than the Metroid Prime collection and Twilight Princess HD, I'm not likely to get anything else for the system. And those games are both rereleases.

The virtual console is also severely lacking. I guess technically you can still use the Wii BC, but it's inconvenient.

Honestly Zelda games are the only reason I plan to keep the Wii U around. Unless the NX turns out to be really compelling, I'll just get Breath of the Wild for Wii U and go back to being primarily a PC gamer.

On the other hand, I absolutely love my New 3DS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom