• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are You Satisfied With The Wii U?

It was all on the 3DS first. Its not innovation.
Almost true but not quite.
The 3DS is not HD.

The 3DS has all of that in one console, minus HD graphics. Are we going to really call a step up to HD "innovative"?
No. It was old hat by the time Nintendo did it. Sony and MS pioneered the HD gaming revolution. They get the accolades for that. Still what Nintendo did was not bad either. Making a HD 3DS as you call it is not that easy whle keeping it affordable for the majority of customers. The PS4 and XB1 launched at a higher price than the WiiU did.

What X1 and PS4 have over Wii U is POWER.
100% correct. It's the selling point of the XB1 and PS4. Power instead of controller innovation.

Power doesn't make Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, etc. any less amazing or fun.

Lack of third party support doesn't alter what the console is offering as opposed to the other systems and that's games. You're either happy with the library available for the Wii U or not. That's the question. Not whether or not the system stacks up in comparison to the competition.
I guess that's all that matters in the end. Peoply buying the console that has their favourite games. If you get good games on a decent console (all of the but 3 are decent) then you'll be happy. I can agree here.

It is innovation. It doesn't have to be the first to do it. It's still unique among the competition.
Kind if like Apple, example the iPhone. The iPhone has done nothing first in terms of hardware. What it did was take everything, everyone else did in isolation and package it all up in one product. Doing that can be rather innovative indeed.
I am not saying the WiiU can compare as it was not super revolutionary. But the WiiU does provide players with different ways to play games. Some like that, others do not.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Power doesn't make Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, etc. any less amazing or fun.

Lack of third party support doesn't alter what the console is offering as opposed to the other systems and that's games. You're either happy with the library available for the Wii U or not. That's the question. Not whether or not the system stacks up in comparison to the competition. What Playstation or Xbox can do is not a factor.

It is innovation. It doesn't have to be the first to do it. It's still unique among the competition.
But, Power of the Wii U compared to the 3DS didn't make 3D World, Smash Bros, and MK8 any more fun than 3D Land, Smash 3DS, and Mariokart 7 either. These are practically the same games with different level designs. Nintendo was not ambitious at all with the Wii U, and released prettier versions of 3DS games that play absolutely fine on the 3DS.

If we were to get a true 3D Mario game, a Mariokart games with Mission Mode, or a brand new smash game. I would agree with you. But almost everything that you can get on Wii U(with around 3 exceptions), you can find a similar experience on 3DS if not an identical experience. And the 3DS still has way more IP's, more games, better games, amazing third party support, and well.... More games.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

Lack of third party support doesn't alter what the console is offering as opposed to the other systems and that's games. You're either happy with the library available for the Wii U or not. That's the question. Not whether or not the system stacks up in comparison to the competition. What Playstation or Xbox can do is not a factor.

It isnt actually unique because smartglass can also be used as a touchscreen for xboxes. I think PS4 has gyro and touch control, though no screen if I recall correctly. Though I dont know much about PS4s.

The Wii U doesnt really do anything the competition doesnt or cant do. And to be realistic most do not find the gamepad is an industry changing must have controller for games. Its a gimmick which nobody bar a few select people really want and a gimmick which adds very little to the enjoyment of games.

As for what you said about Bayonetta and Mario world. They werent hampered by being on Wii U? I am of the view that games are not just gameplay, music and visuals but it is the combination that makes up the overall score of how good a package that game is and when a game is more beautiful that alone adds points to its overall rating. If you are presented with two exact same games but one looks better. The better looking one IS better. I know that the games you mentioned could have been made more beautiful by being on a more powerful console. I know the power would have also allowed them to run better and have enhanced gameplay capabilities also. So I'm saying that having to develop for the Wii U held back the potential of those games because creators were more confined by the constraints of hardware. Unless they are 100/100 in your eyes then there is room for improvement and more power could have definitely allowed for some of that in some areas.

I am not happy overall with the Wii U library. Had I known there would not be an original Zelda then I would have unlikely bought it. I would have waited for their next console. I am happy with the Xbox One's library and I would be happy with the PS4's as well because they share a lot of games which I have loved this gen mostly from 3rd party developers.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
But, Power of the Wii U compared to the 3DS didn't make 3D World, Smash Bros, and MK8 any more fun than 3D Land, Smash 3DS, and Mariokart 7 either. These are practically the same games with different level designs. Nintendo was not ambitious at all with the Wii U, and released prettier versions of 3DS games that play absolutely fine on the 3DS.

If we were to get a true 3D Mario game, a Mariokart games with Mission Mode, or a brand new smash game. I would agree with you. But almost everything that you can get on Wii U(with around 3 exceptions), you can find a similar experience on 3DS if not an identical experience. And the 3DS still has way more IP's, more games, better games, amazing third party support, and well.... More games.

A lot of the Wii U content was basically HD 3DS content. I think of home consoles as something to provide grander experiences than what a handheld can offer. Nintendo did largely fail in that regard with Wii U.

Nintendo fans are not generally grahpics whores like many of the hardcore gamers who really want the best graphics and power for their games. So they arent necessarily going to jump over when they can have basically the same experiences on their 3DS and anyone who is into graphics went to Xbox One or PS4 over Wii U because there might be some games on Wii U that look good but even its best offering does not hold up to some of the true next gen titles.

A lot of the Wii U content was basically HD 3DS content. I think of home consoles as something to provide grander experiences than what a handheld can offer. Nintendo did largely fail in that regard with Wii U.

Nintendo fans are not generally grahpics whores like many of the hardcore gamers who really want the best graphics and power for their games. So they arent necessarily going to jump over when they can have basically the same experiences on their 3DS and anyone who is into graphics went to Xbox One or PS4 over Wii U because there might be some games on Wii U that look good but even its best offering does not hold up to some of the true next gen titles.
The PS4 is just a HD PSvita?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The PS4 is just a HD PSvita?
No the PS4 has games on it that would not be found on a vita due to their scale. Games that utilise the power of their system. Witcher 3 vita would not work for instance. The Vita is too weak to take something of that scale. However most of Nintendos own games would work on 3DS. Smash bros for instance on Wii U is pretty much an HD version of the 3DS game.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I think it gets too rough of a time, but the judgements aren't always unwarranted. Compared to other systems I've seen this gen, the Wii U seemed to be the best if you wanted a decent couch multiplayer experience, which was nice. I think my favorite thing about it was thinking back to when I was a kid and thinking how cool it'd be to be able to play Mario or Yoshi with multiple people instead of taking turns, and now that's a possibility.

Launch was weak, but I think there are enough games out there that are enjoyable to warrant a purchase. The Zelda thing sucks, but it is what it is.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam

No they're not. But let's say they are, does that make Super Mario Galaxy 2 less phenomenal? The correct answer is no.

If we were to get a true 3D Mario game, a Mariokart games with Mission Mode, or a brand new smash game. I would agree with you.

What exactly is a true 3D Mario? Last I checked, Super Mario 3D World is just that... Also, how does mission mode make for a completely brand new experience? Not like people play Mario Kart for missions. If that's the case, then surely Smash Bros. is unique enough for having different stages and modes. Besides, what's your point with Smash Bros.? That game was developed simultaneously on 3DS and Wii U and the Wii U is by far the superior version. What does the 3DS version being "fine" take away from the better version?

But almost everything that you can get on Wii U(with around 3 exceptions), you can find a similar experience on 3DS if not an identical experience.

Similar, not the same. What else do you expect from established franchises?

And the 3DS still has way more IP's, more games, better games, amazing third party support, and well.... More games.

Sure, if you're into RPGs, otherwise it's just a bunch of crap.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
It isnt actually unique because smartglass can also be used as a touchscreen for xboxes. I think PS4 has gyro and touch control, though no screen if I recall correctly. Though I dont know much about PS4s.

The Wii U doesnt really do anything the competition doesnt or cant do. And to be realistic most do not find the gamepad is an industry changing must have controller for games. Its a gimmick which nobody bar a few select people really want and a gimmick which adds very little to the enjoyment of games.

As for what you said about Bayonetta and Mario world. They werent hampered by being on Wii U? I am of the view that games are not just gameplay, music and visuals but it is the combination that makes up the overall score of how good a package that game is and when a game is more beautiful that alone adds points to its overall rating. If you are presented with two exact same games but one looks better. The better looking one IS better. I know that the games you mentioned could have been made more beautiful by being on a more powerful console. I know the power would have also allowed them to run better and have enhanced gameplay capabilities also. So I'm saying that having to develop for the Wii U held back the potential of those games because creators were more confined by the constraints of hardware. Unless they are 100/100 in your eyes then there is room for improvement and more power could have definitely allowed for some of that in some areas.

I am not happy overall with the Wii U library. Had I known there would not be an original Zelda then I would have unlikely bought it. I would have waited for their next console. I am happy with the Xbox One's library and I would be happy with the PS4's as well because they share a lot of games which I have loved this gen mostly from 3rd party developers.

Smartglass is nowhere near as relevant or essential to Xbox One games as the gamepad is to Wii U games so that's a very poor argument nor is it anywhere near as innovative as the gamepad.

The gamepad is very much game changing. Anyone who considered the DS to have been such a huge deal when it came out yet criticizes the Wii U for applying that same innovation onto a console is a hypocrite. The DS offered great possibilities with that second touch screen and so does the Wii U. The problem here though is the lack of power which Nintendo was willing to sacrifice for innovation but third-party developers weren't. Had they made a console as powerful as the Xbox One and PS4 with gamepad functionality, more developers would embrace it though it'd be a lot more costly for consumers.

Power on Xbox or Playstation has no bearing on how excellent Nintendo IPs are on their own consoles. You're not going to get the Mario or Zelda experience on Xbox or Playstation so what does it matter what power the other guys are working with when the Wii U's power is still very much progress for Nintendo's IPs given where they were in the previous generation? So no, Bayonetta 2 and 3D World were not hampered by the Wii U. In fact, Bayonetta 2 wouldn't even exist and Mario sure as hell isn't going to be found elsewhere. Are you not satisfied with any of your third-party Xbox One games because they run better on Playstation 4 or look better on PC?

Let's not forget that you just said that you know Wii U games could have been more beautiful, run better, and had enhanced gameplay capabilities on a more powerful system yet you say Wii U games are largely just 3DS games in HD completely ignoring the fact that the Wii U is significantly more powerful than the 3DS. If you really don't think something like Super Mario 3D World is a far more grander experience than 3D Land then you are very very wrong. It's not like the game is a port with HD visuals, it is vastly different.

Also, never call graphics whores hardcore gamers again. If the most important thing to a gamer is graphics then chances are they don't play many games.

I think looking back the wiiu is the most well realized nintendo console. Some things could be better, like the VC integration but as a whole i think its a good console. I think its too pricey for what it is though.

Games wise, it has some pretty good games, just like with any nintendo console i end up with little over 5 games i truly love. I just hope SS HD comes to it, so i can have my Zelda machine, alongside the 3ds.

No, I am not satisfied with the Wii U. I am also not unsatisfied. I'm more so in the middle. Most of it is based on the library of games, which should be a major factor on whether a console is successful or not.

I expected the Wii U to bring about the return of good third party games. The Wii didn't really deliver there (it had support, but not from big developers) and the GameCube couldn't compete with the popularity of the PS2. I really thought Nintendo noticed this and was making plans for third party support. Unfortunately, those plans didn't work out. I guess developers found it difficult to port their games to the WiiU.

I have no problem with the graphics of the Wii U. A lot of Wii U games had gorgeous graphics. But I'm more easily pleased when it comes to that I guess. I think Nintendo delivered there at least.

There were amazing games to play on Wii U, but not a lot variety. Obviously, Nintendo's big games like Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, DK, the Zelda remasters, etc. were awesome. But where were the new IP or even IP they've used in the past? The only one I can think of is Splatoon, and while Splatoon was spectacular, that was the only new thing. Metroid, F-Zero, Mother, and other IP never made it to the WiiU.

Honestly, I expected something similar to the GameCube. It sold so-so, but it had an incredible gaming library. Wii U's library is no where near as good, but that could be the nostalgia talking.

There are a lot of things I like about Wii U. Dual screen, virtual console, HD graphics, and some of my favorite games. But it didn't deliver on what I expected it to be.

Last edited:
No the PS4 has games on it that would not be found on a vita due to their scale. Games that utilise the power of their system. Witcher 3 vita would not work for instance. The Vita is too weak to take something of that scale. However most of Nintendos own games would work on 3DS. Smash bros for instance on Wii U is pretty much an HD version of the 3DS game.
Xenoblade Chronicles X in theory if you had a WiiU in a handheld in some future portable device then you could. Same with Witcher 3 and some future amazingly portable portable Sony console. The 3DS has the dual screens to make XCX work and There's nothing control wise the Vita does not have that Witcher needs, only console power lacking.
The WiiU/3DS games, in those dual releases it's usually the 3DS verion being redesigned graphically to work on the 3DS. SSB4 has different character models, Hyrule Warriors has different character models and less enemies on screen. Downscaled ports in essence. Downscale Witcher 3 and with a whizz developer, you never know. XC made the N3DS and XC is a pretty complex game. SO you never know with the Vita or a new more powerful Vita.

To be honest, not really. Smash Bros is fun and Super Mario Maker is alright, but I'm honestly a bit disappointed with 3D World and Mario Kart 8. Just don't seem to keep me playing as much as their predecessors did, even with the supposed 'improvements' in regards to graphics and music.

Breath of the Wild looks fun, but that seems like something I'll be getting on the NX, not the Wii U.

So yeah, kind of disappointed really. Maybe because I was expecting some more 'niche' games like Metroid, F-Zero and Wario Land, and the Wii U hasn't delivered many games in second tier Nintendo franchises like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom