• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are You Satisfied With The Wii U?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
With the Wii U practically dead now that production of the system is set to end by the end of this year and its last promising game no longer exclusive to the system, is anyone satisfied with it?

Personally, I think it has a pretty solid library despite a few missed opportunities. Games like Mario Paint and Pokemon Snap could have made excellent comebacks on the Wii U. The lack of a Metroid title was definitely felt and I also feel like they missed a huge opportunity to do something more with amiibos. Not to mention third-party support was extremely weak. Hell, we didn't even get Resident Evil 4 which could have benefited from gamepad functionality, and that game is on every console.

That aside though, we still ended up with arguably the best versions of Mario Kart and Smash Bros. as well as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. We got some neat surprises with Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Splatoon, and Mario Maker. Star Fox made a comeback and Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Woolly World, Sonic Lost World, and Bayonetta 2 were all great additions to their respective franchises. But is it enough?

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
You mean the Wii Poo?

No. It was the wrong console at the wrong time done no favours by poor advertising and no must have launch games.

Most of the big heavy hitting titles like Mario Bros and Smash felt like simple HD skins for previous games which only the most loyal of fans would want. The casual granny market that the original Wii brought in no longer there to boost sales as they either didnt know the Wii U even existed or didnt see the need to upgrade to HD versions of games they already enjoyed in their retirement homes.

The big thing for me is there is no original Zelda title on Wii U. The only reason I bought the wretched console in the first place is because I believed there would indeed be an original Zelda title coming out for it. However now that I know there wont be and the version of that Zelda will be the inferior one due to the inferior hardware of the Wii Poo. I regret my decision to spend. The Wii U is the worst console I have ever bought. I had to get an Xbox One to play most of the 3rd party games I actually wanted. Had the Wii U been up to standard it would have been able to play and have support from the big 3rd parties.

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I was.... Barely satisfied with the Wii U overall.

There were some great games on the system.... But most of these games were sequels of 3DS and Wii games, that were just in HD...

I will always love playing Mariokart 8, 3D World, Splatoon, Smash, Mario Maker and many other games with friends. The Wii U was great to bring people over and have a good time. However, for single player experiences..... Eh????

Of course, Bayonetta, Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, and Xenoblade X were true standouts. However, besides these titles, there wasn't much.

What third parties we had, most of them were either late ports, or poor in quality. Besides a few titles.

There was so much they could have done with the Wii U. Yet we had so much wasted potential. There were way too many 2D platformers on the console, there was not even a single real 3D platformer. There was a severe lack of adventure games besides remakes. There just wasn't that much variety, and not many games overall.

There were too many safe sequels, too many games nobody even wanted(because it pissed on the series with poor quality, such as Game and Wario), too many terrible party games made by NDCube, and too many disappointments.

We had a lot of great games. But we also had a lot of disappointments. We had too much time between releases. We had a terrible virtual console service. We had very little coverage of Nintendo IPs. We had too many problems overall.

I am satisfied with the Wii U because of the handful of fantastic games and remakes the Wii U has. However, I am disappointed. I was 500 times more satisfied with my 3DS than I was with my Wii U. I hope the NX is way better, and is just like the 3DS.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
i kinda feel like there was already a thread on this

i'll just say the same thing i said back when the news/rumor came out that the little rehash machine was ceasing production:
a salute to the wii u, nintendo's worst home console

Reactions: Dio
I am talking 100% hardware here and not the games as this is the question asked.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

This is because the consoel itself though not great allowed me to play very fun games in innovative ways. Especially the gamepad, which I initially hated have grown to like quite a lot. It's still too heavy for my liking but the off TV screen gameplay ability of this is just great.

As a console (not talking games jsut hardware on it's own, the worst console was equally everything (TV based) from the NES to the GC. The Wii was the first Nintendo Console to really innovate on the hardware front.
One could argue the N64's controller stick was innovation at the time. Possibly but it was not executed very well and was very hard to use based on it's location on the controller.

Putting the games aside, the best two Nintendo consoles are the WiiU first and the Wii second. Because they were innovative.

Which Nintendo console had the best games? That's a totally different question entirely.

I was.... Barely satisfied with the Wii U overall.
I am not disagreeing with you at all @Lozjam . I just want to make out a very important point based on what you said. For most people how good a console is, it based solely on the strength of it's games. So many people simply don't care about the hardware, as long as it enables a fun way to interact with the games. Your post here just proves this.

The WiiU has falled and risen again (to an extent) almost entirely based on how good or bad its gaming library is at the current point in time. What the WiiU had in hardware made little impact into that. Sure Nintendo could have had more games that showcased the WiiU hardware. But again this is a software library issue and not a hardware one.

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I am talking 100% hardware here and not the games as this is the question asked.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

This is because the consoel itself though not great allowed me to play very fun games in innovative ways. Especially the gamepad, which I initially hated have grown to like quite a lot. It's still too heavy for my liking but the off TV screen gameplay ability of this is just great.

As a console (not talking games jsut hardware on it's own, the worst console was equally everything (TV based) from the NES to the GC. The Wii was the first Nintendo Console to really innovate on the hardware front.
One could argue the N64's controller stick was innovation at the time. Possibly but it was not executed very well and was very hard to use based on it's location on the controller.

Putting the games aside, the best two Nintendo consoles are the WiiU first and the Wii second. Because they were innovative.

Which Nintendo console had the best games? That's a totally different question entirely.

I am not disagreeing with you at all @Lozjam . I just want to make out a very important point based on what you said. For most people how good a console is, it based solely on the strength of it's games. So many people simply don't care about the hardware, as long as it enables a fun way to interact with the games. Your post here just proves this.

The WiiU has falled and risen again (to an extent) almost entirely based on how good or bad its gaming library is at the current point in time. What the WiiU had in hardware made little impact into that. Sure Nintendo could have had more games that showcased the WiiU hardware. But again this is a software library issue and not a hardware one.
The Wii U wasn't innovative though....

Using 2 screens for games? Yeah. The DS did that in 2005.

Using Gyro Controls?
The 3DS.

Playing without a TV?
This came around from Nintendo since the Gameboy.

Playing games in HD?
Well, this was already accomplished by Sony and Microsoft a generation ago.

Online play?
Already done by Nintendo.

Virtual Console?
Already done by the Wii and 3DS. The Wii also still has a way better library than the Wii U as well.

There is absolutely nothing innovative about the Wii U. It was just a home console version of the 3DS with a higher price tag, and a more limited selection of games.

The Wii U wasn't innovative though....

Using 2 screens for games? Yeah. The DS did that in 2005.

Using Gyro Controls?
The 3DS.

Playing without a TV?
This came around from Nintendo since the Gameboy.

Playing games in HD?
Well, this was already accomplished by Sony and Microsoft a generation ago.

Online play?
Already done by Nintendo.

Virtual Console?
Already done by the Wii and 3DS. The Wii also still has a way better library than the Wii U as well.

There is absolutely nothing innovative about the Wii U. It was just a home console version of the 3DS with a higher price tag, and a more limited selection of games.
All of that in one console? That's the innovation.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
a console is nothing w/o its games. it could be the most groundbreaking, innovative thing imaginable. but if it doesn't have the games, it isn't that great of a console in my opinion
I think the ps1 and n64 era is the perfect example of this,even though the n64 had set the standards of how 3d games should play like,many people still regard the ps1 as the better of the two. reason is simply b/c it's game library is leagues above what you'd find on the n64. it had both the quality and the quantity. [NO,Im not saying every single game on it was good, it just a had a more wider selection of games than the n64 did]

and that takes us back to the wii u, sure all it's features are cool and all, but there was only so many games that made use of them. and there's the complete lack of variety as every wii u owner would probably have that same core 15 games that everyone mentions,w/ only a couple of others sprinkled in. my ultimate problem w/ the wii u is compared to it's predecessors, it has the least amount of worthwhile games under it's belt. granted,those worthwhile games are definitely worthwhile,but they're few and far between.
....ok now I KNOW there was a thread on this before

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
a console is nothing w/o its games. it could be the most groundbreaking, innovative thing imaginable. but if it doesn't have the games, it isn't that great of a console in my opinion
I think the ps1 and n64 era is the perfect example of this,even though the n64 had set the standards of how 3d games should play like,many people still regard the ps1 as the better of the two. reason is simply b/c it's game library is leagues above what you'd find on the n64. it had both the quality and the quantity. [NO,Im not saying every single game on it was good, it just a had a more wider selection of games than the n64 did]

and that takes us back to the wii u, sure all it's features are cool and all, but there was only so many games that made use of them. and there's the complete lack of variety as every wii u owner would probably have that same core 15 games that everyone mentions,w/ only a couple of others sprinkled in. my ultimate problem w/ the wii u is compared to it's predecessors, it has the least amount of worthwhile games under it's belt. granted,those worthwhile games are definitely worthwhile,but they're few and far between.
....ok now I KNOW there was a thread on this before

Meh, you can say the same for the PS3 and Xbox 360/PS4 and Xbox One. The only thing either of them have over Nintendo is third-party support and let's say you're someone like me who owns all 3 systems. Realistically, you're going to play most third-party games on one of the 3 consoles available. For me, that's Xbox. So really, what is either the Wii U or PS3 or PS4 good for other than their exclusive content? Nintendo has always been good at supporting themselves and the stuff they offer is usually of the highest quality so yeah, I'd take Nintendo's core "15" games over Sony's Uncharted and God of War and Microsoft's Halo and Gears of War...

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Meh, you can say the same for the PS3 and Xbox 360/PS4 and Xbox One. The only thing either of them have over Nintendo is third-party support and let's say you're someone like me who owns all 3 systems. Realistically, you're going to play most third-party games on one of the 3 consoles available. For me, that's Xbox. So really, what is either the Wii U or PS3 or PS4 good for other than their exclusive content? Nintendo has always been good at supporting themselves and the stuff they offer is usually of the highest quality so yeah, I'd take Nintendo's core "15" games over Sony's Uncharted and God of War and Microsoft's Halo and Gears of War...

What X1 and PS4 have over Wii U is POWER.
Wii U couldnt run 3rd party games like Witcher 3 it would also have to run the inferior Shadow of Mordor with downgraded nemesis system. They are but two examples.

Unless you are a halo fan or a fan of PS exclusives as a Wii U owner i would imagine you would rather not have to buy an entire other console for 3rd party games and to play Blu Ray and DVD but if you like Nintendo games and want to play them and you also like 3rd party games, you have to spend hundreds extra because of Nintendos decision to make a weak device.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
What X1 and PS4 have over Wii U is POWER.
Wii U couldnt run 3rd party games like Witcher 3 it would also have to run the inferior Shadow of Mordor with downgraded nemesis system. They are but two examples.

Unless you are a halo fan or a fan of PS exclusives as a Wii U owner i would imagine you would rather not have to buy an entire other console for 3rd party games and to play Blu Ray and DVD but if you like Nintendo games and want to play them and you also like 3rd party games, you have to spend hundreds extra because of Nintendos decision to make a weak device.

Power doesn't make Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, etc. any less amazing or fun.

Lack of third party support doesn't alter what the console is offering as opposed to the other systems and that's games. You're either happy with the library available for the Wii U or not. That's the question. Not whether or not the system stacks up in comparison to the competition. What Playstation or Xbox can do is not a factor.

It was all on the 3DS first. Its not innovation.

The 3DS has all of that in one console, minus HD graphics. Are we going to really call a step up to HD "innovative"?

It is innovation. It doesn't have to be the first to do it. It's still unique among the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom