• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Apple Destroy Video Game Industry?

What do you think of this?

• There is no way that this will ever happen.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't think that this will happen, but it might.

• I don't know

• This probably could happen.

• There is no way that this will ever happen.

• Total voters

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
There's a really interesting article I found a few minutes ago. Basically, it's saying that based on Apple's sales, they could destroy the gaming industry. Personally, I don't believe that this will ever happen. As long as the biggest video game series (Legend of Zelda, Halo, Call of Duty, Resident Evil, etc) are around, then gaming industry will stay. Give a few months to a couple of years time and wait for the Wii U and the newest Playstation (PS4?) and XBox systems to come out. There's no way that Apple can destroy gaming industry after this. Games on tablets and phones are only meant to target casual gamers. What do you guys think on this? Here's the link for those who want to check it out.

Is the video game industry Apple's Next Victim?

EDIT: Messed up on the poll. Since I can't edit it, let's just pretend that the second 'there is no way that this will ever happen' really says 'this will happen for sure'.

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
There's no doubt that Apple is making advances to rise to the apex as the irrefutable number one marketing industry for digital entertainment. I've already seen gaming apps that were blatant rip-offs of famous video game series. It's not enough that game developers won't allow their creations to be used on iPads or iPhones/Touches, so instead they permit these derivatives to be uploaded onto the App Store. By doing this they starve out their competition. In time this will force their competitors to either shut down a viable market in the States (mostly for Nintendo), or join hands with Apple so that they could all share profit. But...Apple would probably be the one to benefit most in the latterly case.

However, it seems one has already given in to Apple's expectations, and that would be Microsoft. They've formed the biggest partnership thus far, to my knowledge, if only slightly. I establish this point on the games or apps I've seen being placed on their platforms or portable devices. Microsoft was somewhat tactful in doing this, because they don't need to enter the market of handheld devices. Still, it doesn't hurt them having two income sources where they're based, yet this is more a danger to Nintendo and Sony. Point is, I think Apple's making great strides in forcing those two in uniting with them or starving them of sales until they claim bankruptcy, at which period Apple will situate their hindseats on the marketing throne.

Regardless of all that, both Sony and Nintendo more or less seem to be faring well enough on their own. They're not in any peril at this time.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Honestly, I don't know whether Apple has the potential to do this. But I know that I would be very upset if they succeeded. The sort of games that come out on Apple's platform are not quality titles, but quick diversions that are similar to online flash games. I also don't enjoy the idea of having to play with nothing but a touchscreen, and no button or stylus controls whatsoever.

I will support Nintendo for as long as they exist, and I will stop playing video games rather than go to Apple if they succeed in dominating the market. I feel that their business practices are unfair, their products are of inferior quality, and that they do not offer the features I want to see in games.

I think that saying that Apple will "destroy" the gaming industry is ridiculous. However, I do think they could only do harm to it, that goes for anything Apple gets into. They are like the plague, a plague of the mind that slowly spreads throughout everyone and destroys any rational concept people have of technology. Likely they would use their unbridled talent for powerful propaganda to get people to use their stuff, and pay stupidly large amounts of money for it. But I don't think they would pose a significant threat, because their platforms are inherently restrictive (moreso than consoles are today) and would likely never get beyond boring games with no real story or value.

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
How would this happen? I can't see it. Maybe they could try and take a step, but they haven't shown me anything to think that they can make better systems and games than playstation nintendo and xbox. Have they made a game? no. Have they made high quality gaming software? not really. I think that if they tried, it would be only having games from third party developers. I personally think that apple are on their way back into the pack, because many other companies are competing strongly. Android anyone? Amazon is in the position to make another kindle that will tear down the ipad majorly. Kindle fire is already strong competition. Then their phones have the entire android line to consider. Tell me that apple is got it made in the industry and I would tell you to look at all the options that more and more people are exploring and choosing other than apple. I don't think that Apple could take over video games. If that happened you would see playstation, xbox, and nintendo collaborate and bring it down.

Apple isn't even a part of the videogames industry. iPods, iPhones, are primarily used for music and calling, respectively, whereas the iPad while virtually no different than the other two devices except in size is a better rounded multimedia device because of that. None of those devices, however, primarily serve to play videogames. That is the biggest load of bull I have ever heard. Just a few days ago, I watched a video about how some ignorant guy ranting about how if Apple released a button peripheral it would utterly destroy the Big Three of the industry. I couldn't help but shake my head at this stupidity. The reason game apps happen to sell well are not only because they are cheap but because the hardware itself is flying off shelves. Apple has no idea how to promote third party software. It's all coincidence and I don't appreciate the words "Apple" and "videogames" being mentioned in the same sentence.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Maybe not Apple. but mobile gaming is undeniably having a negative impact on the video game industry. It's filled with cheap, poorly made, but readily available games that people can get on their mobile devices without having to purchase a separate device. This has been damaging the video game industry for the last eight years at least. It's why the consoles are struggling and are branching out to be more than just gaming platforms.

I actually think Apple has a good chance at ruining this because, as has been said, they're very good at marketing. It doesn't matter if they suck at making games. Most mobile games suck and that's the point. That's why they're damaging the industry. It's also why the casual market is a very difficult one to get money from. Casuals are the same people make up the majority of those that go over to mobile gaming versus console or handheld. Nintendo got wickedly lucky with it with the Wii and DS. The same trick won't work twice. Already as they've seen as it didn't go too well when they keep trying casual with the 3DS and it performed way worse than they expected. Same's going to be true of the Wii U. Despite their efforts otherwise, there's still a clear attempt to draw in casuals and it just isn't going to work a second time.

Mobile gaming, especially Apple, is destroying the video game industry.

P

PikminMastr77

There's no way Apple would destroy the gaming industry. Most of their games are for casual gamers who need a quick fix. Even if they are good at marketing, nothing beats quality. Zelda, Mario, Soul Caliber, Call of Duty, and many other blockbuster titles will always be number one with dedicate gamers. Sure, I like to play Plants vs. Zombies on my iPod touch once in a while, but that game (among other mobile game) also happens to be on many other platforms and will never hold a candle to other blockbusters. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft's games will never be ruined by the likes of Apple! They just don't do games like the "big three" does.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
No, I don't see Apple destroying the gaming industry. People understand what Apple is and what they can do. And besides, Apple wouldn't be able to keep up with Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft anyways. Apple only owns the cellphone, and tablet industry, which I'm glad to say I don't own anything from them.

Hanyou

didn't build that
"Destroy" might be a strong word, but I'm under the impression Microsoft has damaged both the console and PC markets pretty badly since the release of the Xbox and their emphasis on online gaming. Apple can't really make things worse.

Honestly, at this point Apple could erase consoles entirely and I don't know that we'd be much worse off.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I think the statement that Apple could "destroy the video game industry" is something akin to Reality Television destroying the TV/Movie industry... I'm saying this being a big fan of Apple's products. What I envision is that Apple will probably produce games that appeal more to the general population (mostly casual gamers and people who up until this point hasn't really been a gamer at all) and they will most probably earn a ******** of money doing it, but the specific gaming market won't be that easy a sell.

They are affecting it but they are not destroying it. I still wish all those stock holders would shut up though about Nintendo making games for IOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom