• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

AoL's Story Possible Connection to Skyward Sword?

I'm hoping!

Let's take a look at a couple of things. First, this game is the prequel to OoT and so far it seems to be the earliest tale, I don't know how they could come up with another prequel to this game. If that's the case, this Zelda is the first Zelda in the Royal Family.

Second, when you watch the trailer and you see Link and Zelda jump off to fly on the birds, there's a third individual. Could this individual be the prince from AoL's story?

Third, it talks about a sorcerer who placed the sleeping spell on Princess Zelda. Could this be Demon Lord Ghirahim? It does say he is skilled in the ways of magic and has sorcery powers. It also says he is part of a tribe who is seeking Zelda's holy power. Holy power... Triforce of Wisdom? Remember, the ToW imparts divine wisdom upon its holder, and grants the holder untold mystical abilities.

From there, the story goes on and all the characters will get connected somehow and maybe the end will show Ghirahim casting the spell on Zelda and she goes in her sleep.

This is all speculation but I am also hopeful that this could be it! I'm also hoping that Nintendo is trying to connect all the games together starting with this one but so far, it seems that's why they are doing IMO.

I'd also like your input as well and what you think.

I'm not quite as familiar with the backstory of Adventure of Link as I should be, but I do know it dealt with a lot of origin stuff for the rest of the series. That said, the idea of it being an origin story was overwritten kind of a long time ago, as early as Ocarina of Time. OoT was a prequel to the Zelda series when it came out, and at the time AoL was a direct sequel to LoZ. So the idea of her being the first Zelda on the timeline was retconned a while back, and I don't think they intend to change that now, what with them expanding off of what they established in OoT by making a prequel to it. There's also issues with the Triforce, as it split in Ocarina of Time but was whole beforehand. Though that doesn't mean much since the Triforce is pretty confusing in general and anything seems to go with it. <_<

Unfortunately, with many of the recent games in the Zelda series (or really any game in the series after Link's Awakening), the original games' timeline placement and even canonical-ness are fairly uncertain. The safest bet is usually to place the first two at the end of the timeline.

Even if AoL does somehow come between Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time, I would think that it couldn't be the same Link, Zelda, prince, or wizard/Ghirahim. There's also the fact that Ghirahim will probably not be a significant, final boss type of villain.

Basically, I'm just wishful thinking here. I'm hoping Nintendo knows what they are doing with the story and doesn't mess anything up even more then they have to.

So are you saying that the back story to AoL is scrapped that it no longer applies?

I'm not quite as familiar with the backstory of Adventure of Link as I should be, but I do know it dealt with a lot of origin stuff for the rest of the series. That said, the idea of it being an origin story was overwritten kind of a long time ago, as early as Ocarina of Time. OoT was a prequel to the Zelda series when it came out, and at the time AoL was a direct sequel to LoZ. So the idea of her being the first Zelda on the timeline was retconned a while back, and I don't think they intend to change that now, what with them expanding off of what they established in OoT by making a prequel to it. There's also issues with the Triforce, as it split in Ocarina of Time but was whole beforehand. Though that doesn't mean much since the Triforce is pretty confusing in general and anything seems to go with it. <_<

Unfortunately, with many of the recent games in the Zelda series (or really any game in the series after Link's Awakening), the original games' timeline placement and even canonical-ness are fairly uncertain. The safest bet is usually to place the first two at the end of the timeline.

Even if AoL does somehow come between Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time, I would think that it couldn't be the same Link, Zelda, prince, or wizard/Ghirahim. There's also the fact that Ghirahim will probably not be a significant, final boss type of villain.

I think the idea of AoL is that it comes at the end but the sleeping Zelda is the first Zelda in the family lineage from centuries before AoL actually takes place.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
As I said in many threads before, I would love to see the Sleeping Princess in Skyward Sword. Miyamoto and his complete stuff totally neglected this mysterious ancient Princess. Well, but the Backstory of Adventures of Link told you something about a dead King, a Prince and a Sorcerer. Don't fit to Skyward Sword at all. Like Juicie said, it could happen after the main story of Skyward Sword, but for me, I think this won't happen. Anyway. If the Skyward Sword Zelda is indeed the Sleeping Princess, this may be the first Zelda without a Happy Ending.

Well, but the Backstory of Adventures of Link told you something about a dead King, a Prince and a Sorcerer. Don't fit to Skyward Sword at all.

That's why I said maybe the third individual person jumping to fly on the bird is the prince and the the sorcerer is Ghirahim. As for a dead King, maybe he dies later on in the game? I don't know I'm just theorizing here.

If the Skyward Sword Zelda is indeed the Sleeping Princess, this may be the first Zelda without a Happy Ending.

This is another thing I have thought about too. I think it would be really cool to finally have a Zelda game without a happy ending and have a game that is based on the backstory in AoL and I'm thinking this could be that game.

Another thing to consider is that the game starts off in Skyloft. Well, it seems that nobody knows about the land of Hyrule below and the people of Hyrule don't know about Skyloft. If that's the case then why is the Royal Family in Skyloft? Maybe that's where they were originated so maybe this Zelda is the Sleeping Princess.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Since SWS isn't out yet, we don't have any basis for this sort of speculation yet, but yes, it would be cool if SWS had ties to Zelda 2. Especially if the SWS incarnation of Zelda turned out to be the sleeping princess from Zelda 2. There's one problem with that theory, though. Literally all other games in the Zelda series take place between SWS and Zelda 2. And nobody ever mentioned that sleeping princess in the castle up north? Granted, Zelda 2 has the biggest Hyrule map of any game, the other titles just cram more and more stuff into that one small region in the southwest, but still, that area is within walking distance from the North Castle, so it's hard to believe that nobody knows of her or finds her worth mentioning.

If that theory is true, however, I'm sure we will get confirmation when Ghirahim transforms one of these birds...
5817462761_ba92e41042.jpg

...into Thunderbird.

I mean, wouldn't that be cool? If the wings on the royal family's coat of arms turned out to be the wings of the penultimate boss in Zelda 2 that everyone forgot?

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Unlucky Monkey said:
As I said in many threads before, I would love to see the Sleeping Princess in Skyward Sword. Miyamoto and his complete stuff totally neglected this mysterious ancient Princess.
The reason we don't tend to see any references to this anymore is because the Sleeping Zelda element to AoL has been retconned because it no longer tends to fit into the backstory of many of the games.

Michael Heide said:
I mean, wouldn't that be cool? If the wings on the royal family's coat of arms turned out to be the wings of the penultimate boss in Zelda 2 that everyone forgot?
A number of people have speculated that the Skybird on the present Hylian crest is something similar to what we see at the end of AoL, or something that we have already seen in Skyward Sword. If you notice, throughout Skyloft, all their crests feature only the bird. We're likely to see a unification between Skyloft and Hyrule to form the crest that we see today, with the Triforce and the bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom