• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda An Emotionally Invested Story?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Something I feel the Zelda series is lacking in is an emotionally vested story. Don't get me wrong, euphoria has been and probably will be drawn from every title in the series, even one such as LoZ wherein story is absent, but the animations, text, and general flow do not tend to evoke emotion out of me. Sadness is never prolonged, happiness seems to pervade the series like a fairy-tale, and anger isn't prolific.

So I was wondering, do you believe the next couple of games could make good use of emotions? Would you like to see crushing events - the death of your father, the torture of Zelda, et cetera - or some other method? Have at it.

I wouldn't mind an emotionally gripping story. During the earlier games Link was more an avatar than a character. Starting with Ocarina of time, Majora's Mask, and The Wind Waker, however, Nintendo attempted to flesh out his character. Link's interactions with characters were greatly improved upon but there is much from the hero himself to be desired. I can't relate to some guy who feigns surprise and grunts when he's overburdened.

Nintendo needs to play it safe with changes in Zelda's narrative. Change is seldom a bad thing but it needs to be implemented wisely to be in tune with the rest of the series. Such was not the case with Metroid: Other M, for example. Fans raged when they saw a weaker, dependent, pitiful Samus. An emotionally invested story in Zelda should follow after The Wind Waker-gradual progression throughout with a sentimental climax.

Imprisoned

*~German Sparkle Party~*
I think something like a real WHAT. THE. H*LL. moment at first, but later it turns into a more intense thing, picking at your emotions would be interesting, if you know what I mean.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
well, we have had emotional moments in previous games. OoT, MM, WW, TP, and SS all had their emotionnal climaxes. You could really feel for the King of Hyrule as he was dying. The same goes for Zelda as she sacrifices herself in SS and TP. MM and OoT- don't even get me started.

What the franchise really needs is a big OMG moment that will shock fans and newcomers; something that will make the game famous. We need something like Aeris's murder in FF&, but bigger. As I proposed in some fanfiction, Link must die. He has survived encounter and danger. He has been our friend for ages. Now that we know officially that many Link's exist, it is time. My proposed idea was to. . . no I'll make a new thread for this.

Well your father/whoever died in ALttP and Zelda was tortured near the end of SS but neither were emotional.

I don;t know, i dont think games are the best stage to attempt emotionally invested stories even though some have done it in the past. I don't think nintendo will be able to pull off an emotionally investing story, which is a shame because at the moment if i feel anyhting for a game at all i call it a success. We can but hope nintendo could make an emotionally investing story but i doubt we'll see anyhting like that anytime soon.

Alex

~TLoZ Veteran~
I would love to see some kind of more emotional Zelda game definetly. Perhaps some more romance between Link and Zelda. It is something i have waited for very long. ;)

OK well first off Link shouldnt have to die... but i agree with the failure. In the Downfall timeline Ganondorf defeats Link (no mention to him being slain especially where he has offspring that become alttp link). I think what needs to happen is Link needs to lose at the hands of the villian and have either the triforce of courage or whatever they decide to make ripped from him. This will be a crushing blow that can completely alter the game from a lets beat ganondorf (or whoever) to OMG he has the power and is physically destroying the world and we are one step behind. and who knows maybe they wont be able to beat him.....

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
If done right, couldn't hurt. Actually, it'd probably be one of the more popular stories of the series. But I'm iffy to say I want one because... you know... that whole "Nintendo is doing it" thing. Actually, no I want one. Nintendo said they were gonna stop the traditional Zelda, and I'm gonna encourage them. Step out of that safety zone and make me feel something. (Although TP did a great job of it imo)

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
As long as the emotional investment doesn't intrude in on the exploration, combat, etc. that the series is known for, yeah go on ahead full steam ahead. The past few Zelda games have become increasingly more emotionally-involved for me, SS in particular taking the cake, and I'd like to see Nintendo step up and pull off an even more emotionally-invested story; it's part of why I play, after all.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Zelda seems to have started leaning towards this with ever since Twilight Princess. I know for a fact that I've felt some level of emotional connection ever since and including that game. Midna, Linebeck, Zelda (ST), and Zelda (SS) have each given me huge reasons to care about them and root for their success (SS Zelda going so far as to make me cry). I certainly hope this keeps improving in the future. It can only benefit the series' storytelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom