• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Am I the Only One Who is Disappointed?

New Super Mario Bros Wii Sales: 26.80m
New Super Mario Bros DS Sales: 29.12m

These both have sold far superior to any other 3D Mario game that has come out.

While I agree that 2D Zelda is still important to the series, I don't know that using the New Super Mario Bros. games as examples is necessarily a good idea. They were often bundled with their respective systems at some point, and New Super Mario Bros. U was a Wii U launch title. It seems they were chosen largely in part to accessibility, not just to quality...although your potential argument that 2D can sell well is still solid in light of this.

The only thing that disappoints me so far is the graphics, which seem kind of weak for a 3DS game. Nevertheless, 2D gameplay for Zelda doesn't have to be a con. Yes, a modern impression of Zelda is behind-the-back, but top-down and behind-the-back play very differently, allowing for two different styles of gameplay. 2D combat, for instance, tends to be easier to use but very challenging, as evidenced by the final boss fight in Link's Awakening (still one of my favorite fights in the series, never mind that you needed mostly optional items to do it). 3D may be the spearhead of Zelda right now, but it would be a shame to lose a very viable alternative mode with its own advantages.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
New Super Mario Bros Wii Sales: 26.80m
New Super Mario Bros DS Sales: 29.12m

These both have sold far superior to any other 3D Mario game that has come out.

Ocarina of Time: 7.6m

Twilight Princess 7.1m

These have sold superior to any other 2D Zelda that has come out. Let's not compare apples to oranges shall we?

DarkLink7

I make my own fate!
Never played aLttP, but the BEV for 3DS? That's just confusing! From the trailer..... why?! I expected something more.... epic! But no, we get a sequel. Not something brand-spanking new, but a sequel. Yes, I am quite disappointed, but will get it nonetheless.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I was kinda miffed at first, but now I'm actually glad that Nintendo has done this. It's a really safe bet for bringing back classic Zelda exploration, as well as give Miyamoto his wish of remaking ALttP in 3D without actually remaking ALttP. Plus... the gameplay looks awesome. Switching between dungeon floors seamlessly via smiley spring thingies? Turning into a drawing on a wall and switching to a third person perspective to overcome clever obstacles? Something similar to the Stamina Gauge??? SIGN ME UP!!!

I have been hoping for a Zelda top-down perspective for the 3DS. Though many want a complete 3D back view perspective like Ocarina of Time 3D, I feel that it doesn't truly capture the full potential of what 3D can enhance in a Zelda game. Sure Ocarina of Time 3D has some great effects, but it's not that impressive compare to Super Mario Land 3D, where the camera is not simply confined to the back view of Mario. That and there are benefits to a 2D world, such as lack of camera issues and spying hidden locations, passages, and items at places that a back view camera could not achieve. As for being A Link to the Past sequel, I'm curious about the story. Is it directly after A Link to the Past or perhaps around the time of Link's Awakening? Is the villain the blue pig Ganon or his surrogate mother Twinrova? Would they reference the defeat of the Hero of Time as decreed by Hyrule Historia? Whatever it is, I'm excited and waiting.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
I think a lot of younger Zelda fans are experiencing a generational gap with the Zelda 3DS announcement.

I think, that's a good point. I grew up with Zelda. Played it 1991 oder 1992 for the first time (the original Legend of Zelda). In 1995 I've played A Link to the Past. Loved it. As a little brat, I've cried tears at the end of the game. Now, most gamers are used to the 3D Zelda titles. The new Generation of Gamer started most likely with The Wind Waker. Now I'm 26 (still not a grandpa) and I love both, the Top Down view and the 3D view. It's sad so many people are disappointed. It's even more sad when you think of it we only saw a one minute Teaser.

We will see a new entry in the series. Not a remake, maybe not even a sequel, maybe this game will become significent to the Timeline. I think, Nintendo will release a great game. Most of the people may change their minds when more material is coming.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I have a feeling I'm going to end up liking this game more than I think, it will do OK but not great for overall reception, and it's going to tick off the hardcore fanbase.

Ocarina 3D should never have happened.

...Because?

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
I'm disappointed with the graphics. Now, before you start arguing, I'm a firm believer in gameplay over graphics. But when I see this and compare it to Kid Icarus: Uprising, it just seems lazy. A mobile phone could run this.

Although the drawing mechanic looks like it could add a lot to the game.

I hoped that this new zelda game would be more like OoT or SS but I was very disappointed by what I saw, I hate top-down views and I'm tired of cartoon graphics, I was hoping for the quality that was put into TP but that isn't what they gave us, I'm sure the game will still be a lot of fun but I'm still disappointed, but at least I know they won't disappoint with MM 3D.

M

mozetich

Regardless of whether or not I am disappointed in the style of this game, I'm sure that it will be an incredible work of art. An epic, classic Zelda adventure that takes upwards 35-40 hours to complete. However, my track record when it comes to BEV Zelda games is lack luster. I just don't finish them for some reason. It's very hard to stay engaged. I get bored after a while and stop, then come back to it a few months later, reset my file, and get half as far as I did the first time.

When I step foot into Hyrule field on OoT3D, I feel like the world is a lot bigger than it actually is because I can see it's vast scope. In BEV and side scrolling, you only see one tiny portion of a way larger map and to understand it's scope, you have to view the world map. That feeling of being able to see something "in the distance" is thus removed limiting how "epic" the game appears to be in it's presentation.

What's been showed so far just doesn't resonate with me. It's not something I could boast about to my friends. I'm most pissed off that this is the style they've decided to go after making me wait so long. Especially when getting my hopes up a while back and saying that it will be more like console Zelda's. Here I am expecting something more modern and something that would resemble TP, MM, OoT, SS.. Little did I know that they meant it would be like SNES Zelda with stupid, annoying enemies from PH and ST. I will still buy it though but the chances of me 100%-ing are significantly less.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with you mozetich, they suggested a console style but that didn't happen, at least we still have an enhanced MM 3D to look forward to, but they are probably going to make us wait a thousand frickin years for that as well, I mean seeing how simplistic this new game looks you would think they might have finished development buy now, I thought it was taking so long because of how much work and detail they were putting into what I envisioned to be a game that would be like OoT and MM put together but no that was wrong.

Fiery Klongo

I Am Mardric
I think that its about time for a change. Think about all of the other fans who HATED SS, TP, ST, PH, MM and OoT. They might have lost their interest if Nintendo had not turned back to the simpler Zelda's.

Sometimes Fiery Klongo simpler is better but not this time Nintendo lead us to believe we were getting a console grade zelda with similar design aspects to TP and SS but that is not what they have showed us, and I would hardly say that this new game is a change it might as well be a slightly enhanced version of PH, and with the potential that the 3DS has they could have done so much more, in my opinion they made the wrong choice with the style they have chosen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom