• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Am I the Only One Who is Disappointed?

Exactly Xyphon there are so many of us that there will always be a majority who feel let down or slapped in the face, for example I supported SS sword and still do while there was and likely still is a large number of people who felt disappointed by it, and with this new game I'm on the other side of the table, Nintendo will never be able to make everyone happy, at best they can find an equilibrium a balance.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
@Red
I don't care if your opinion is contrary to anyone else's....I'm with Shadow here. I just don't like being ganked after being lead to believe something. Like, they gave us all the wrong hints as to what ALttP2 was gonna be.

I get the feeling fans are going to do exactly what they did with Skyward Sword. Nintendo said Skyward Sword was a prequel and it had higher damage, so fans expected a genuinely difficult game and to connect everything in Zelda together. It did neither and even though Nintendo never actually promised either of these things, they were put in deep crap because of how the fans interpreted it.

I get a feeling this game isn't going to be as "aLttP" as fans want it to be. It won't be nearly as difficult, it'll be either way more linear than aLttP or fully linear, it will probably have more direction than aLttP and even though Nintendo only said it's going to take place in aLttP's world, the fans are going to--no they have--come to expect aLttP 2. Maybe the game WILL step backwards to aLttP (I mean...we have a magic meter...that's something), but I'm going to say now that I doubt it will be as close to aLttP as aLttP fans want it to be.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I get a feeling this game isn't going to be as "aLttP" as fans want it to be. It won't be nearly as difficult, it'll be either way more linear than aLttP or fully linear, it will probably have more direction than aLttP and even though Nintendo only said it's going to take place in aLttP's world, the fans are going to--no they have--come to expect aLttP 2. Maybe the game WILL step backwards to aLttP (I mean...we have a magic meter...that's something), but I'm going to say now that I doubt it will be as close to aLttP as aLttP fans want it to be.

Indeed. Nothing trumps the superpower that is a memory fueled by nostalgia. Even if it is on par difficulty-wise with AttP, it still won't seem as hard. With that in mind, I'll be adjusting my expectations accordingly. based on the previous announcements, I get the impression that this isn't the game they wanted to make.

Clash

Super Melee Brawler
I didn't exactly know what to expect from Zelda 3ds, and even as a newer fan I feel that a return to the old 2d style is due. However, the game is not fully 2d as seen when Link turns into the flat image on the wall. Personally I think we should wait for more info before we trash the game.

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
I didn't exactly know what to expect from Zelda 3ds, and even as a newer fan I feel that a return to the old 2d style is due. However, the game is not fully 2d as seen when Link turns into the flat image on the wall. Personally I think we should wait for more info before we trash the game.
thank you do everyone whos looking foward to the game and shut the **** up and wait for the game to be released and play it before u trash talk it

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
thank you do everyone whos looking foward to the game and shut the **** up and wait for the game to be released and play it before u trash talk it

Even when the game is released it going to be criticized. Everything is criticized so there's nothing new here.

there is a deference between what we're saying about it and trashing it, for example most of my stated opinions are more about the choices nintendo made with development and design of Zelda 3D, I have also said that I will likely enjoy the game even though it wasn't what I hoped for.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
PancakeSamurai
Even when the game is released it going to be criticized. Everything is criticized so there's nothing new here.

I'm not riding the Trash Talk train, but, c'mon girl, you act like million people agree with your opinion the final game will suck. You're totally wrong. There are many fans, even here at Zelda Dungeon, who like what they saw. The same goes for me. Sure, there will be people still complaining when the game is released, but what you are talking makes no sense. How could you know the game will be criticised when it's released? Or are you a Fortune Teller? I don't believe in Fortune Tellers. Michael Pachter is a Fortune Teller, I don't like this guy ;)

The press, who played the game in Frankfurt was very optimistic after they played Zelda 3DS.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I'm not riding the Trash Talk train, but, c'mon girl, you act like million people agree with your opinion the final game will suck. You're totally wrong. There are many fans, even here at Zelda Dungeon, who like what they saw. The same goes for me. Sure, there will be people still complaining when the game is released, but what you are talking makes no sense. How could you know the game will be criticised when it's released? Or are you a Fortune Teller? I don't believe in Fortune Tellers. Michael Pachter is a Fortune Teller, I don't like this guy ;)

The press, who played the game in Frankfurt was very optimistic after they played Zelda 3DS.

Lol, I'm actually a guy...

Excuse you, I never said that I had a negative opinion on this game. I was just defending other people's opinion and saying that they should have the right to have a negative opinion on what they saw. Name one game that hasn't been criticized at least once... (There isn't one by the way so don't call me a fortune teller). Nothing is perfect and everything has flaws. Some people may not like these flaws and have a negative opinion on it.

There are somethings that I saw that I didn't like and I not as excited as I want to be because I don't own a 3DS, but it's Zelda so it still made me smile.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
He's a fortune teller, all right. None of his predictions ever come true. XD

Ha, I have to correct me. He thinks he is a fortune teller :D

@PancakeSamurai

Ok, let's start this all over, boy!

:D

Please, pardon me ^ ^

Well, a person quoting the DDR Professor from Metal Gear Rising cannot actually be a hateful person ;)

Please don't put words in my mouth.

That was not my intention. But I have to apologize if my post sounds exactly like that.
I was just complaining about the very early criticism. I think, there is much room for criticism when more details of the game is released. This goes not for you, Pancake, but many people don't think that much before they post a comment.

You also have to understand Shigeru Miyamoto. I think it was not his intention to disappoint fans. But people who dislike the style have also to accept, there are many people who really fell in love with the style of Zelda 3DS. For me, it's still ab bit hard to tell my opinion in a foreign language. I'm talking in a very difficult language the whole day, so I have to apologize when my words are more harsh than intended to be ;)

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Well, a person quoting the DDR Professor from Metal Gear Rising cannot actually be a hateful person ;)
Your face when I don't even know what that is... :P
That was not my intention. But I have to apologize if my post sounds exactly like that.
I was just complaining about the very early criticism. I think, there is much room for criticism when more details of the game is released. This goes not for you, Pancake, but many people don't think that much before they post a comment.
I feel like they are criticizing elements that were shown and not the actual game itself. I also see more criticism when more is released and when the game is released.
You also have to understand Shigeru Miyamoto. I think it was not his intention to disappoint fans. But people who dislike the style have also to accept, there are many people who really fell in love with the style of Zelda 3DS. For me, it's still ab bit hard to tell my opinion in a foreign language. I'm talking in a very difficult language the whole day, so I have to apologize when my words are more harsh than intended to be ;)
I know this, he has the right to do what ever the hell he wants because he's Miyamoto. People also have the right to not like his decision though.

I apologize if it seemed like I was calling you out or that your post upset me. I just believe that all opinions should be accepted. Even if they don't agree with you.

How could you know the game will be criticised when it's released? Or are you a Fortune Teller? I don't believe in Fortune Tellers. Michael Pachter is a Fortune Teller, I don't like this guy ;)

Whether or not it will be criticized is not debatable: Of course it will. There is no such thing as something in this world that is liked by everyone. Every single thing comes under scrutiny and criticism at some point in its existence, so there will be people disappointed by Zelda 3DS no matter how good it is.

Anyway, to answer the question in the thread title, no mozetich, you are not the only one who's disappointed, as I have seen several people who share the sentiment (as I'm sure you've seen in the thread). That said, however, there are also plenty of people who've liked what they've seen and I count myself among them.

However, I can't help but feel disappointed by what was shown today. Since OoT was my first Zelda experience back in 1998, Zelda to me is meant to be played in a 3D world with a more serious tone. I just can't seem to take this game seriously despite watching the trailer multiple times. I know it's early and I'm sure that once I actually get this game and get into it, my opinion will probably change because of the gameplay innovation with Link melding to a wall and it's a new Zelda game. But as of now, I just kind of wish that they would have gone in a more serious direction and 3D as opposed to top-down.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my anticipation for this game is less than it was now that the game has been announced and I know what "style" it's going to be.
The fact of the matter, however, is that this is not how Zelda was meant to be played. I understand fully that this is what you're accustomed to and prefer, and that makes perfect sense considering your introduction to the series. But the fact remains that not only did Zelda not start out that way, but it has repeatedly been given more sequels that use the top-down perspective, even as recently as the two DS games. A Link to the Past is still one of the series' most lauded games, and for a lot of people it was their first Zelda game as well.

All I'm getting at here is your distaste for the perspective and/or style of A Link to the Past 2 is primarily based on personal preference. There is nothing wrong with that, of course, I'm just outlining the fact that it doesn't make it an invalid style, and it's pretty beloved to a lot of people. I'd say give the game a chance and see if you get into it.

After the success that was Ocarina of Time 3D, you'd think that the 3DS installment would be gimmick free! No, I get to see what's effectively Super Link 3D Land. They could disappoint me in a lot of ways but this one thus far takes the cake.
First off, what gimmick are you referring to, exactly? As I have said, the top-down perspective is an established part of the series that hasn't even died down recently when you consider the DS games. It's not a gimmick; it's a valid perspective. If you're referring to turning into a drawing, well then yeah that would count as a gimmick, but not more so than every Zelda title has had; every Zelda title has a new gimmick. Ocarina of Time, with its titular instrument, is a prime example.

It's also not really comparable to Super Mario 3D Land for reasons I've already stated -- the continued prevalence of the style -- as well as the fact that that game was a 3D revival of 2D concepts, whereas... this is just the old concept that didn't even get revived in doing so. Beyond that, though, there are those of us who think Super Mario 3D Land is awesome. :P

I agree with you. When I logged on today, I saw "Zelda 3DS Revealed" on the home page. My heart started racing with excitement. Then, when I saw the video, my heart sank into a sea of disappointment the moment I saw it was top-down. I really don't like that at all. I highly prefer behind-the-back, and after displaying the capability to make a game like Ocarina of Time 3D on the 3DS, we get... this? I'm very disappointed. Nintendo could have done much better with it than this.

Of course, I'm still going to try the game out once it's released. I like the idea of Link becoming a drawing and moving along the walls. That could be a lot of fun. But the top-down style makes the game look lazy. It looks like it could pass for one of the minigames you play in the Mii Plaza. I am not very happy about that. I'm sure that once I play it, I might warm up to it and enjoy it, and I have no idea what to expect as far as gameplay goes, but I can be sure that I certainly don't like the way it looks.
I really don't grasp how you can consider the top-down style to be in any way inferior. I've heard similar arguments before about this perspective -- about how outdated and inferior it is -- and I can't really appreciate them. I can't really take that kind of talk as anything more than an attempt to demonize something you simply don't have personal preference for.

I understand there are fans who prefer the 3D perspective (and there's nothing wrong with that), but this kind of argument really only manages to be ignorant of what is basically an equal part of the series; top-down never went away, and it's always been a part of the series. You can't argue that the full-3D perspective is somehow more Zelda, because it isn't.

To be fair, I don't think anyone's going to argue that A Link to the Past 2 is as good-looking of a game as it could be given the hardware (though this has nothing whatsoever to do with its perspective), but I also don't see what this need is for every game to make maximum use of the available hardware; it's not a standard we've ever applied to indie games or downloadable releases. I know plenty of people wanted to see another game in Ocarina of Time 3D's visual and gameplay style, and I can sympathize with that sentiment, but at the same time, if you want an epic 3D Zelda adventure, well you're going to get one when Zelda Wii U comes out; what's wrong with the handheld title offering something different? Not every Zelda game needs to offer the exact same things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom