• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

All Gamers, Help: Should I Get a PlayStation 3 or an Xbox 360?

What console should I get?

• Xbox 360

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PlayStation 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nerion

Nerion Saiarion
All Gamers, Help: Should I Get a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360? (Updated with more info)

So I'm thinking about getting either a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, but I don't know what to choose..... Maybe you guys could help me out. It's optional, but please make a reason why that console as well. And please try to avoid things like "Choose PlayStation because playing online is free."

I have sort of big hands, and since the Xbox controllers are bigger than PS3 controllers, I'm thinking about Xbox. About the games I want, I've really enjoyed the Final Fantasy series, and there are more FF games to PS3 than Xbox. But I've also enjoyed the Saints Row series. The first one has to be my favourite of those three. Mostly because of the memories of me and my best friends playing it. *Looks dreaming out of the window...* Anyways, one issue is that the first one isn't released for PlayStation.

A quick question: Can the PS3 run PS1 and 2 games like the Wii runs GC games?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I would say that it really depends on the exclusive titles. If you want a futuristic shooter or a gritty, badass third person shooter, go with the 360. If you want an 3rd person adventure shooter and a game with sackboys, go with PS3. I'm not going to vote because its all opinion based. I personally, though, prefer the 360.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
It call comes down to system exclusives really. It's the one thing they have really different that isn't just a matter of perspective. Rather than types of games, I'd suggest looking into specific games you'd like and do some research on them. An example would be Elder Scrolls. Oblivion and Skyrim are on both systems, but the PS3 versions are buggier. Then there are system exclusive series. Halo is on 360, if that's something you like you could get it for that. If it's a tough decision, really look into the games you would like to get to help make your decision. It was the main thing that I considered when I choose the 360 over the PS3. The actual differences between the consoles are entirely up to your preference. I like the button layout of the 360 a lot better than the PS3 layout. But some people like the PS3 layout. Really, those considerations should come after your choices in games. The consoles are quite similar.
And yeah, you pointed out that that online being free with PS3 and not free with the 360 is a really minor issue. Xbox Live Gold isn't really that expensive and you'd end up putting far more money into games and add-on content with either system.You can buy 12 months of Live Gold for about $50, which is less than the cost of most new games anyway so it's really not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. So I suggest not even considering online being free or not as a factor at all, it doesn't matter, just remember if you get it to only pay for Live Gold through pre-paid membership cards you can buy, never get it directly with a credit card.
I can't tell you how the other online services for the systems compare. I like the apps on the 360. I use Netflix a lot, and the PS3 can get that too, so they're on the level in that at least.
Both systems have overheating issues, despite the Xbox line being so famous for it. No matter what system you get, you will want to get the one with the biggest available hard drive and get something to cool it. Either a cooling fan attachment, or just an ordinary fan to blow on it.

Bottom-line, first priority in choose is in the games you want. I absolutely cannot tell you which system you should get. It depends on the games you want more than anything.

To be honest I'd wait for Microsofts or Sonys new console to come out in 2 years or less most likely. It may seem like a long time but they're going to be pretty darn expensive when they first come out, more expensive than the Wii U. If moneys no consideration to you, it's up to opinion like others have said.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
For the most part i'd say that it depends on which exclusive titles you want to buy as the main deciding factor, go for whichever console you'll get the most use out of.

Upon owning both consoles, I have to admit that I got a PS3 simply due to it's exclusive titles. If there are cross platform games I go for the Xbox version simply because I find the controller layout to be more comfortable.

Danigo92498

Someone You Met Online
IMO, you can get the same games for both systems. I like the XBOX 360 cause you can listen to music while playing games(i don't think you can do that with any console by PlayStation) There's tons of extras like Skype for the PS3 which is cool. I'm also planing on getting the PS3 mainly cause Kingdoms Hearts 3 is exclusively for the PS3(it's always been for Playstation, exceptions from Nintendo) It really just depends on which one you like more.

Defiantly go with the PS3. free online service' loads of content' a good amount of quality exclusives compared to the 360.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I would go with a PS3. It bascially has all the same games that come to X-Box except the few exclusives, but even so, PS ones are better. Plus, you have the ability to watch Blu-Ray discs. And also, who likes Microsoft anyways. Sony is waaaaay better!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If it were up to me, I'd get a PS3. I have had a 360 and have had nothing but problems after problems with it. Having to pay to play the game as it should've been played was trouble enough, but the Xbox360 was actually interferring with the Internet line itself. Circular scratched discs, constant freezing, unfair DLC rules (PSN has 'em too), Red Ring and now Red Light of Death. I will not recommend the 360 to you no matter what.

Things like "controller wasn't comfortable" just can't be helped – I have big hands but like small controllers and oither people have different situations. Game choice, the games are virtually the same on 360 and PS3 (enjoyable), but if you are lacking the money, you cannot fully enjoy a multiplayer game on 360 unlike on PS3 where the online truly is free (besides the actual connection itself which is paid through Internet Services).

I haven't extensively used the PS3, as in never truly owned one, but if it's anything like the 360 then I would say to stay away from both. However, with first hand (minor) experience with the PS3, though, I totally recommend it over the 360. FFXHD I heard is PSN exclusive though I could be wrong. Sure, Microsoft gets some exclusive DLC and faster DLC, but is it really worth paying for (the exclusives)?

chris112

ゼルダファンの伝説!
PS3. Besides "free online," the games are better (in my opinion). I also think it is stronger than the 360 (not sure though).

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
If it were up to me, I'd get a PS3. I have had a 360 and have had nothing but problems after problems with it. Having to pay to play the game as it should've been played was trouble enough, but the Xbox360 was actually interferring with the Internet line itself. Circular scratched discs, constant freezing, unfair DLC rules (PSN has 'em too), Red Ring and now Red Light of Death. I will not recommend the 360 to you no matter what.

Most of the disk scratches comes from having the system standing vertically. If you lay it horizontally it doesn't happen so much. This is because the disks just lay in the tray with nothing to hold them on. If you lay it horizontally, gravity holds it down and you don't get the problem. If you run games off the hard drive it won't happen at all. Freezing is hardly a problem unique to the 360. The PS3 also has some very bad lag problems with several games. It's actually worse on the PS3 because it has larger capacity disks with a smaller laser, meaning it takes longer to load things because the laser has a longer distance to go to find the data. The red ring/light of death has mainly one primary cause: overheating. All current gen consoles, PS3 included, have very bad interior designs that makes for very bad airflow. You have to use some sort of cooling on it. An ordinary fan, or a cooling fan attachment. And don't overplay, let your system cool down after so long. Also you will have less overheating problems if you run games off the hard drive rather than from the disks. The 360 has an advantage here because it has models that have larger hard drives than the PS3.

I have absolutely nothing against any console. I'm just offering a balanced judgement of them. They all have flaws. The most serious one on the 360 is the exceptionally bad interior airflow, the primary cause of the infamous red ring of death, though its large hard drive options make up for a lot of that. All three current gen consoles are advertised with the vertical positioning of the system, however for each of them this is a very, very bad way to have it. For the Wii, 360, and PS3 you're way better off laying it horizontally. If you do, you will have less problems with overheating in all three systems, and any disks you put in them will have less wear on them, and the actual mechanical parts of the consoles will also have less wear. The vertical layout is just for flashy show, it's a very bad design move and all three consoles did it. So it's no preference to any one of them.

I would only recommend buying either system if you're on a budget. It's best to stock up on a new system, which will have increased functionality and more likely than not backwards compatibility with the last.

That being said, if you're absolutely dying to get one of these systems it really depends on your preferences. If you're for online, stick with the XBOX 360 as LIVE easily trumps Nintendo WiFi Connection as PSN. Also, if you're a shooter type of person, the 360 controller is well-designed for those types of games. The PS3 on the other hand, has a wider range of exclusives a multimedia function. The Playstation 3's well rounded exclusive selection was clearly manifested this past holiday season with the likes of The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Colleciton, God of War Origins Collection, and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. And for upcoming games, Sony has Twisted Metal, Sly 4, The Last of Us, and the Last Guardian whereas Microsoft boasts Halo 4 and Alan Wake: American Nightmare. Take your pick. :) In terms of multiplatform support, both systems offer close to the same.

GanonSlayr

Vermin Supreme 2012!!!
PS3 if you want a better gaming experience. X360 if you want a 70$ cheaper gaming experience(on a budget). PS3 has better exclusives. However if more of your friends have one or the other, choose that one so you can chat with your friends. PS3 is better. Free internet. But I'm gonna buy a 360 because its pretty impossible to buy a PS3 off of snow shoveling and leaf raking money.
Note: PS3 is waaaay more expensive than it should be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom