• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pen

The game is on!
Earth, year 2047. Let me start by catching you up to speed on what has happened between now and then: After covid-19 was put to an end the world enjoyed a decade full of international cooperation and prosperity. Because of this, scientific and technological advancements made huge leaps throughout the 2020s and into the 30s. In the early 2030s a number of unexplainable phenomena occurred throughout the world. Different occurrences like that kept popping up more and more frequently throughs the 30s and most of them couldn't be explained despite of the advanced scientific level our society was at. With no clear understanding of these irregular and unpredictable phenomena, it became known simply as "magic". By 2043 the whole world was in great shape thanks to the rapid technological and scientific growth as well as the different types of magic that had been around for about a decade at that point.

But in the summer of 2043 our planet was attacked by a massive army from outer space. These aliens took us by surprise and easily overpowered earth's defences. After the swift invasion they occupied every settlement on every continent and suppressed humans everywhere. They stole our natural resources and used those with magical abilities for their own gain. And although they were more technologically advanced than us they took our research in case there was something to be learned. A vast majority of humanity that survived became slaves on their own turf. Extremely few were able to live free, and those who did lived in constant fear of being caught.

The aliens called themselves "vis" and they used instantaneous translators to communicate with the humans. They looked similar to humans in general size and shape but presumably they possessed a better physique and psyche on average compared to humans. The only way to safely tell the difference between a human and a vis without examining their cells was by looking at the colour of their irises. Instead of typically having brown, grey, blue, green or turquoise eyes, the vis had purple, orange, yellow, pink or red eyes.

Now it's been four years since the vis occupation of earth. The story is set to start in a small town on the countryside in Australia where our protagonists have been enslaved together since the invasion and forced to do farm work to keep their oppressors fed. Our player characters and their families along with maybe a few more families live there in captivity, so it's relatively small and chances are everyone at least knows of each other. I apologise for the long opening post, but I felt it was necessary to at least give this much detail. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask! I made the technological level and the magic rather vague on purpose so that you're free to create your character the way you want it to be. Of course I have to approve it, but I won't be too strict. Fill out the form below to sign up! :)

Name: -
Abilities: - (scientific or technological skills, physical capabilities, or potential magical power)
Appearance: - (if you include a character portrait, please still write a little bit about your character's build)
Personality: -
Backstory: -

Pen

The game is on!
As the game host (assuming we'll have enough players to start a game) I will be controlling a few more characters besides my primary protagonist character, so here's one of those side characters of mine. I'll probably hold off on making my main character until after a few others have signed up with their main characters. ^^

Name: Michael Stern
Abilities: Skilled at mechanical engineering and chemistry. He knows how to mix chemicals to create performance boosting potions of various kinds and he can make a variety of different explosives.
Appearance: Tall with broad shoulders and decently well trained.
download20200800024247.png
Personality: A responsible but also a bit impatient man. He has grown sick and tired of the way they're being treated by the vis and wants desperately to do something about it. He has somewhat of a big brother role in the community and thus feels like he must protect everyone in the town. He easily loses himself in the moment and tends to forget to worry about himself.
Backstory: Being the oldest sibling out of a group of orphans living with their grandparents, Michael started taking a lot of responsibility from a young age because he didn't want to bother his elderly grandparents. This sense of responsibility stayed with him into his adolescence and adulthood when he learned a lot about chemistry and mechanical engineering in order to provide for his siblings, but also for his wife and kids which later came along too. He's not just a family man, but he's loved by everyone in the community for helping out neighbours and acquaintances alike. In the four years since the occupation Michael has done his best to help everyone else in the town to cope despite the very harsh circumstances. With each day that goes by he becomes more desperate to break free.

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
Name: Medivh Tirisgarde
Abilities: Telekinesis, decent cook
Appearance: Shoulder length black hair, blue eyes. Slim build. Generally wears a t-shirt, purple hoodie, and jeans.
Personality: Quiet, Stoic
Backstory: Medivh's parents died fighting. Since then, Medivh has grown up on the farm as an orphan slave. He's known as being helpful, polite, and mature for his age, though some worry about how stoic he is. One day while out in the fields, he discovered a mysterious crystal that dissolved when he touched it. Afterwards, he discovered that he had gained psychic powers. Since then, he's been secretly training his abilities and waiting for an opportunity to escape.

Last edited:

Pen

The game is on!
Name: Medivh Tirisgarde
Abilities: Magical Prodigy, decent cook
Appearance: Shoulder length black hair, blue eyes. Slim build. Generally wears a t-shirt, purple hoodie, and jeans.
Personality: Quiet, Stoic
Backstory: Medivh's parents died fighting. Since then, Medivh has grown up on the farm as an orphan slave. He's known as being helpful, polite, and mature for his age, though some worry about how stoic he is. He's been secretly studying magic and waiting for an opportunity to escape for as long as he's been there.

Your application looks good for the most part, but I might have been a bit unclear about the magic. To explain further magic here includes all sorts of unexplainable and non-scientific things. Basically it doesn’t necessarily have to mean what we think of as traditional fantasy magic. Your imagination and my approval is the limit. What I failed to convey in my opening post is that those people who do possess some kind of magical ability usually have that ability because something happened to them (though that doesn’t have to be the case) and a person’s magical ability is typically a specific power so if you can find a niche that would be great. ^^

Pen

The game is on!
So less magic, more superpowers. Gotcha. Edited.

Yeah pretty much. Although that doesn't mean I'm forbidding traditional magic, as long as it's got a niche somehow.

The three powers you selected feel a bit too different. I would probably accept multiple powers if they were more closely related to each other, but I think teleportation, telekinesis and telepathy are too different to belong together. Unless of course you can convince me that it makes sense.

Also, it would be nice if your background info included how your character got its magical power. And if there isn't an apparent reason, then at least tell me when he got it and how it affected his life. ^^

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
Is just removing the teleportation fine? Telekinesis and telepathy are usually paired together as your basic psychic package, though that may just be from me reading too many comic books as a kid. Also, I edited his backstory.

Pen

The game is on!
Is just removing the teleportation fine? Telekinesis and telepathy are usually paired together as your basic psychic package, though that may just be from me reading too many comic books as a kid. Also, I edited his backstory.

Backstory looks good now! But I'd still prefer only one out of those powers since I want to avoid having any characters that are too over powered.

Storm

Ghost of The Roleplay Section
Name: - Lizzy/Beth Baxter
Abilities: -
Lizzy- Shadow Magic[ Balls, bolts, and crude Melee items(for now) ], Tome writing, Mixology, Video Game Knowledge
Beth- Shadow Magic [Same as above, albeit less so(For now) ], Academics, Video Game Knowledge, Self-Defense
Appearance: - 5'9", curvacious Muscular build, white female. Beth is blonde with Blue Eyes, Lizzy has black hair and Hazel Eyes
download20200800185617.png
download20200800185807.png
Personality: -
Lizzy- Unwavering Charm,Fun Loving, Livewire. Carefree. no need to worry, Mr. Dio ;)
Beth- Immune to Charm, Serious, calculating, obviously the brains of the operation
Backstory: - being the first born of two, the older sister of Janine Garofalo Baxter. Born to loving parents who arent dead ( yet ;) ). at age 15, Beth, through study found some dusty tome on a library bookshelf, and reading it shot herself into a 3 month coma. when she awoke, she was not alone in her mind. Lizzy had come to play. Through this deal, Beth had given Lizzy in exchange for Magical affinity a vessel in which to see and feel the world.

Then the Voe hit. Beth was almost graduated from school. her sister, Janine was in her freshman year. she was just handed her diploma when a laser blew up some things and it got real scary. Lizzy grabbed the steering wheel and got Beth to Safety with Janine.

Last edited:

Pen

The game is on!
Name: Janine Baxter
Abilities: Can shape shift into a large leopard with near impenetrable skin, night vision, and heightened strength, speed and instincts.
Appearance: Slightly below average height with a slender build.
Janine.png
Personality: Janine has always been a bit of a daredevil and a rebel. She often thinks she knows best even though that certainly isn't always the case. She tends to be in a rush a lot of the time and has a strong thirst for trying out new things.
Backstory: Janine is the Elizabeth's younger sister. The two sisters were born and raised in the small town where the story begins. Their parents are butchers and were very strict with their daughters especially when it came to work ethic. Unlike Beth, Janine despised being told what to do and started rebelling against her parents from a young age. At age nine she started smoking, and she started drinking alcohol when she was 12. This was also when her sister attained a distinctly different personality and some shadowy abilities, which bothered Janine at first but she came to appreciate her sister's new side in time. Janine began smoking marijuana when she was 14. Her sister knew of this but their parents didn't. And at age 15 the aliens invaded and brought an age of utter despair. During the horrible years that followed under the rule of the vis Janine started drinking and smoking more openly without caring who about found out, and she even started doing psychedelic drugs. She would often go too far with it to the point where she wouldn't be able to do her slave work, so her family would have to work extra hard instead. Two years ago when Janine was 17 she smoked some leaves she found that she thought had a nice aroma. She tripped out so hard from those leaves and found herself in a misty realm face to face with a massive leopard that told her that it would grant her its shape in exchange for her ability to cry. The next thing she knew she woke up on the floor several hours later with a headache. That night Janine turned into her giant leopard form for the first time. It felt natural for her to move around like that, but she transformed back into human a few minutes later and hasn't shifted into her leopard form since then because of the heavy surveillance that the vis have of the area. Since this happened to her she and her sister have been trying to come up with a plan to escape.

Storm

Ghost of The Roleplay Section
Edited once again.
to save you some time. Pen wants excruciating detail. he wants to know in intricate detail what the abilities are. you cant just say one word this time. you have to 300 word essay those abilities. you have to tell pen how may pounds his mind is capable to lift. how far his influence is. how good those pancakes you make are. their temperature

Pen

The game is on!
Edited once again.

Thanks! Storm exaggerates of course but he’s not entirely wrong. It would be nice with some kind of brief description on the extents of your character’s telekinetic powers. Preferably it starts off relatively simple but then of course you can let it be improved as the RP goes on. ^^

Where did you do the character portrait this time?

It’s one of the many avatar creators they have over on picrew. Great site! https://picrew.me/

Are you planning on joining the game btw, Giri? It would be nice to have you on board. ^^

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
I'm thinking it's a bit like him having several invisible extra pairs of hands. He can lift many smaller individual objects, or he can focus his power to lift larger and heavier ones. The larger and heavier the object, the more focus it takes to control it. He can also telekinetically project force in order to, say, punch someone in the face from 50 feet away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom