• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Tedious Over-Analysis of the GDC Trailer

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Upon trawling through the latest Skyward Sword trailer, the one showcased at the 2011 Game Developer’s Conference, I’ve noticed a slew of interesting background details that reveals a few things about the game. Nothing “new” or “revolutionary” is learnt here, but for those who enjoy squeezing details out of upcoming Zelda games, I hope that the following could be used as a resource for speculation.

The Forest Temple

Forest, Wind, Deku.jpg

Oh so pretty, so very pretty. Who needs HD? Right? Wrong! This would be very nice in HD. That’s not the point though.

THIS is that tree in the E3 demo. It’s reminiscent of the Great Deku Tree from Ocarina Of Time. Why? Firstly because it’s a large prominent mega-tree. Secondly, it’s branches are shaped into the Kokiri symbol. The swirly, wind shaped symbol. This symbol denotes all things related to the forest, the wind, the Kokiri, Deku and generally wooded areas. It’s present on the houses in Link’s hometowns, on the sail of the King of Red Lions (though slightly altered), the Deku shield, etc. Recall that the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time was originally intended to be the Wind Temple, hence the wind symbol on the medallion. The Korok’s from the Wind Waker were associated with the Wind Temple in that game too. The connections between forest and wind are well established in Zelda lore, and this is crucial in understanding my claims further on.

What else can we establish as Forest constants? Spiders, intuitively. Mushrooms, given. Gohma, as well. Look on at the following screenshots from the GDC trailer.

Forest Dungeon Opening.jpg

Notice the spider (red), mushrooms, and weird crystal things (green) and the floating speckly things (blue). This place appears to be somewhere near the entrance of a Forest/Wind Dungeon.

Tightrope.jpg

The floating specks are back (blue). Check out the branch (green) and compare it to the Kokiri Symbol. I have no idea what on Earth or otherwise that (yellow) thing is. I haven’t included it in here, but the door behind the unlucky Bokoblin is one of those WMP twisty 3D key doors.

Skull Kid.jpg

Behold, the specks! (blue). We have another spider, gohma thing (red), no, it’s not the Skull Kid. The weird crystals return (green) and just to point out, that thing next to the spider (teal) is a heart flower.

The Damning Evidence!.jpg

The mushrooms return, the crystals too (green). But possibly most damning of all evidence, the symbol adorning the wall, that’s an incarnation of the wind symbol. For a comparison: http://bit.ly/iBRRA4

My claim: Welcome to the Forest/Wind dungeon (probably wind)! It’s spacious and had a spider problem. It looks like a temple and it is in decline (the heads of those statues have been knocked off, I suspect they’re Oocca’ish, in my opinion. Even Skyward Sword has backstories to attend to, apparently.

The Fire Temple

Fire Symbol.jpg

Let me set the scene here. It’s hot, it’s dark, and occasionally very bright yellow. There’s an Aztec/South-East Asian feel to the place and Link is coping with several layers of clothing. Notice the flame symbol adorning the cave walls (orange). That’s the fire symbol (similar to, but not to be confused with the Goron symbol). This is the same temple in which you will fight the giant gold statue manipulated by the antagonist. Look on:

Fire Temple Face.jpg

This is the very same dungeon if not for sheer obviousness but also because of the returning fire symbol (orange). Lizalfos have returned, which is good, they’re challenging foes. The East-Asian/Aztec statues are also present in this screenshot. Note the face on the left (black).

Douche on the Statue.jpg

Yes, I’m aware they’re not identical . But it’s (black) very similar. Also, it still looks East-Asian/Aztec. The antagonist is brooding atop the statue, that’s about it.

I also have a feeling that the Beetle item may be found in this dungeon, simply only because it seems to fit the theme. Though, it can be seen in the “Forest Temple” which shows less heart containers than the Fire Dungeon.

Beetle.jpg

In addition to these two dungeons, there appears to be a mechanical dungeon with what looks suspiciously like electricity. For a game taking part so far in the past, this place looks very advanced. Maybe it’s in the sky.

Mechanical Dungeon.jpg

What I will assume is an electric Peahat (green) and on the left, a Peahat that won’t close (pink), it’s probably not related to the others. There’s some weird mechanical, electric handcar type thing (blue) next to Link, which really confounds me. Also, the most intriguing item in this trailer in the equipped item slot is in the equipped item slot. It looks like it may be a hookshot, but it could be anything.

Final Notes:

Link.jpg

This a fully equipped Link: Hylian shield, Master Sword and air of confidence.

Prepared.jpg

Check out his sword here. It looks very different to the Master Sword, it doesn’t actually look all that impressive. Also, Link has a Hylian shield, with Hylian Crest on it. Can someone from the sky get a Hylian Shield made by the people from Hyrule? Maybe there’s something I’m not taking into account.

Door.jpg

This door looks very impressive. It also has an avian figure on it. A figure similar to the avian figure on the Hylian Crest. This is an origin story. Could this detail the origins of the Hylians and their connection to this avian figure? This place may be frequented throughout the game, it could possibly be a holy place or the means of transport to and from Hyrule and Skyloft.

Scorpion.jpg

A scorpion furiously defends a heart flower (teal).

That's it:D. What do you all think?

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I'm thinking your analysis is fairly correct, except to note that the sword in the "Fully Equiped" picture is the Skyward Sword, not the Master Sword, it become the Master Sword probably near the end of the game. The other sword is probably the "starting" sword, you know, like Kokiri Sword in OoT, or Ordon Sword in TP. Oh, and for the Hylian Shield emblem, what if that is the symbol of Skyloft, but then Hyrule adapts it once it forms or whatever.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Excellent! You caught a lot of things that I missed. The Kokiri symbol for one.

I'm not sure I can agree on the statue boss. Everything in the room looks very different. Link has nine hearts and a whip. Of course, there isn't enough evidence to suggest an alternative.

Link uses that sword in at least three dungeons. We've been told several times that the Skyward Sword is what leads Link on his journey, so he must get it early on, perhaps even before any dungeon. So I disagree with 425.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
I think my justifications for the Wind Temple are justified, though the Fire Temple is a bit semantic, but I stick by it. Nintendo has a tendency to release screenshots and trailers depicting environments that are either completely removed from the final game or redesigned. A good example of this is the early Twilight Princess photos that showed a forest with dogs and a Western-looking Castle Town. I'm also intrigued by that mechanical dungeon, it strikes me as something on the periphery of what Zelda is just because it looks too advanced.

I also noticed what you said about the tree.
So Maybe the people from skyloft and the kokiri are somehow related?

i mean kokiri forrest has a huge tree that protects the kokiri.
the kokiri are not able to leave the forrest or else they die.

same with the people of skyloft it seems, leave skyloft and you die (for obvious reasons)

Also it looks like ss will be a prequel to oot and tp ( as hyrule is lost in ww and that focussed on the hero of time and twilight princess focusses on a legendary hero who cannot be the hero of time)
Because the temple of time was located in the lost woods in tp and you get the dominion rod which you need to get to the city in the sky.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Keep in mind though that the tree is not from in game locations. It was just from the demo, which was just a closed sandbox area that probably isn't in the final game. But that branch in the Tightrope screenshot was in that shape and is a part of the same dungeon where every other forest cue was found. I'm not sure if the Kokiri or Kokiri equivalents in this game are of any importance to the Sky, because for all we know, this temple is on the ground. My hunch is that the Sheikah and Oocca definitely are of significance to the Sky as stated by Impaz in Twilight Princess. I think I can safely assume that Link in this game is the Messenger to the Heavens.

Keep in mind though that the tree is not from in game locations. It was just from the demo, which was just a closed sandbox area that probably isn't in the final game. But that branch in the Tightrope screenshot was in that shape and is a part of the same dungeon where every other forest cue was found. I'm not sure if the Kokiri or Kokiri equivalents in this game are of any importance to the Sky, because for all we know, this temple is on the ground. My hunch is that the Sheikah and Oocca definitely are of significance to the Sky as stated by Impaz in Twilight Princess. I think I can safely assume that Link in this game is the Messenger to the Heavens.

And the legendary hero mentioned in twilight princess AND ocarina of time.

Yuuki

ギラヒムーあくま
your analysis was great, alot of things I didn't pick up on either.

I like the idea of a wind temple instead of a forest but either way meh.

The one thing that truly intrigues me is the Golden Aztec/Asian figure the (possible) antagonist is perched apon. Do you think this is his introduction to the game, like when we FIRST see him/her IN GAME. And whats the significance of the Golden figure atop of it in the trailer it has a shadowy veil type magiggy above its head and the middle of it became enclosed (a gold plug or such) is covering its body, prior to that it seems to be a portal or "heart" idk. :l

Ariel

Think for yourself.
your analysis was great, alot of things I didn't pick up on either.

I like the idea of a wind temple instead of a forest but either way meh.

The one thing that truly intrigues me is the Golden Aztec/Asian figure the (possible) antagonist is perched apon. Do you think this is his introduction to the game, like when we FIRST see him/her IN GAME. And whats the significance of the Golden figure atop of it in the trailer it has a shadowy veil type magiggy above its head and the middle of it became enclosed (a gold plug or such) is covering its body, prior to that it seems to be a portal or "heart" idk. :l

Hmmm. I don't particularly think that the Golden Statue incident will be our first meeting with this mysterious figure, only because it seems too anecdotal. I will say that it seems very intriguing to me that the (possible) antagonist is having an active role in a boss battle. He's possessing the statue/idol and that's what the purple cloud is. This can also be seen as a purple membrane in it's central cavity. I'm almost sure now that this will be the weak point for it as you see it being very protective of it's ....... hole.

The Hollow Man.jpg

Yuuki

ギラヒムーあくま
Yea haha I know we will be seeing more of him/her or it :) (i don't know how to quote on iPhones lol) but I did speculate that he would be involved in that battle. But taking a look at its head a second time it seems that it has a type of chimney type of thing pumping maybe a tainted smoke?

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Yeah, he/it/whatever has definitely got something going on up there. I'm intrigued to see how the battle plays out considering the whip is equipped.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Ok, I was just playing the Wind Waker today. It's my first play through, I never had a GameCube so I had to get it on eBay to play it. It's good, but that's not important. On the symbol found in the forest/wind dungeon above: WTF!

Why is it all over Hyrule Castle in the Wind Waker (see below). Am I mistaken in believing that it is a symbol of the wind element? Or is it more symbolic of the Hylians? Can someone throw me a bone because this discovery is really throwing a spanner in my theory. I will maintain that the above is indeed the Wind Temple for the time being.

Screen shot 2011-05-17 at 11.03.16 PM.jpg

Anyone?

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Thankyou, I think my claims are fairly well supported, except for the ones that I acknowledge that aren't. But can someone please provide some insight into the insignia etched onto the outside of Hyrule Castle in the Wind Waker? It's keeping me up at night.

Thankyou, I think my claims are fairly well supported, except for the ones that I acknowledge that aren't. But can someone please provide some insight into the insignia etched onto the outside of Hyrule Castle in the Wind Waker? It's keeping me up at night.

Nothing important I think. Symbols are used all over the place in Zelda, it doesn't have to mean anything.
I think the 'weird crystal things' are some sort of plants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom