• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Story-heavy Zelda?

as we all know, zelda games already have a pretty good story, but would you like it to have a more complex and lengthy story? personally, i would like this VERY much. i think it'd be great to have a complex story and really flesh-out the characters (somewhat similar to what final fantasy does.) think about it; it'd be great if they were focused on the charaters' personalities and relationships with each other (especially link, zelda, and ganondorf.)

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Oh, I'd love to have that. But Nintendo (and a lot of the fans) still don't want Link to get any personality whatsoever, so that the players can project themselves on him. I consider that absurd. I have no problem following stories with protagonists ranging from Harry Potter (an 11-year-old boy that happens to be a wizard) to Dexter (an emotionless serial killer), from Lestat (a vampire) to Green Lantern (a space cop). I am none of that, but a good writer still lets me empathize. It could work with Link as well. And the games would benefit from that.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I would love more of a focus on story and deeper characters. However, I am one of the fans MH mentioned. I want overall intricate stories and dynamic NPCs, but would prefer Link's relationships remain ambiguous.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Yeah, I would like a Zelda game's plot to be almost as in-depth as a movie. That would be really cool, if you asked me. They could do this through many cut scenes I suppose.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
I'd love for Link to have more of a personality. And I think TP did a semi-good job with this by giving him the love life with Ilia, and the fact that he and Bo cower in fear when Ilia gets mad at them after Link injures Epona. Although, Nintendo definitely could do better. I like the idea though, it would be nice.

Beeker

Wild Card
I wouldn't mind seeing a more story oriented Zelda. TP worked on this a little with it's character development. I'd love to see the characters and NPC's show a little more emotion.

As for Link... I'm not too sure about it. I would like to see him show more emotion so he isn't as...blank, but at the same time I'm not sure if I'd want to see him with a fully fleshed out personality.

Ganondork

goo
I would enjoy a movie-like Zelda game, however, Link is a great character due to his lack of personality. It gives him more character and as a result, he's more interesting.

Djinn

and Tonic
I would love for the other NPC's of Hyrule to take a little more of a part in the story than just being there to show players that Hyrule is populated. Normally I have the impression that the general population has no idea anything is happening at all. They just go along as if nothing was out of the ordinary, even when things like a giant magic barrier is erected around Hyrule castle, or Moblin forts appear all over the ocean, Bulblins rampage across the countryside, etc. Throughout the game they stay the same saying the same things and acting normal. I think it would help the storyline of the game a lot more if their comments would at least change, or have different NPC's in Castle Town in different parts of the game. Something, it makes the story seem nonexistent when the only characters moving with the story are Link, his companion, and possibly the main villain.

Z

ZTOSTRAFE

Hey, first ever post. This is kinda off topic, but it relates to the thread. So for my college English class we are reading The Hero with a Thousand Faces, by Joseph Campbell. The point of the whole book is that Campbell believes in the concept of mono-myth (one myth). He argues that if one were to collect all the myths form all the places in the world, that one would recognize similar motifs in all the myths, hence his belief of the mono-myth. He writes about the hero's journey in all the myths and then goes to prove how the hero's journey in his mono-myth, can be seen in other popular and Eastern myths. My teacher asked me to think of a hero journey that can prove his idea of the mono-myth. That is when I choose Link's Journey in Ocarina of Time. the only problem is that she wants other sources besides the game that I can site (we have to use MLA format). So if anybody can help me out with providing any written sources that I can use for my paper, I would be greatly appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom