• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Return to the Sea

This thread is more for the aesthetic rather than function of the game.

Back in the day of the GC using realistic visuals on a game like the WW probably would have look tragic. (unless they stole the water from Ico)
But now we have consoles which can deliver awe-inspiring visuals and stunning special effects...

If nintendo ever returned to the sea in Zelda much like in the form of WW with realistic visuals how would you perceive the game?

Would you find it boring without the toon style cel-shaded art-style?
Would you see it as more of an epic and inspiring world to see the natural beauty of the ocean recreated within the game to be able to sail on as you pleased?
Would you like to see this happen at all?

I think this is an interesting aspect and the most recent example I can provide for by basis in Zelda's implementation is what I've seen in Assassin's Creed 3. I don't think it should be a main function of the game, although very essential for some parts.

In my Zelda game story development I explore the inclusion of pirates and therefore the possession of your own ship. This would add a great deal of side questing to the game as you can upgrade your ship over time (not like PH) creating an ultimate destroyer.

I think the main aspect to consider in this is how does one go about voyaging on the sea. Wind Waker had specific locations for its happenings. And I personally feel the sea should be more dangerous than previously. For instance, I introduce Sea Serpents as an ongoing, almost annoying threat, but they can be avoided by upgrading to a larger ship. There just has to be more enemies and side quest-styled activities out on the open sea. Instead of having it be the mode of transportation, have it be its own location.

So in The Cardinal Kingdom there are about 20 or so kingdoms, and the Great Sea is included. There's also an element of the Great Sea akin to Skyrim's random encounters with dragons, so there are less dull moments while sailing.

The whole idea that the next Zelda game needs to embody is keeping the player on the edge of their seat. Give them some clues, but keep them guessing, and while they're guessing, give them something to be excited about, anxious even. That's what my development of The Cardinal Kingdom entails, and it's not in any way lacking if it pursues an HD, realistic design (hopefully).

I haven't played WW but in PH I hated the water it was incredibly boring waiting for the boat to move to a location.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The idea of seaing giant underwater behemoths cruise past you while you traverse the ocean is a glorious mental image and would make it seem much more alive.

I sea what you did there.

I agree with TheBlueReptile about the return of the sea. Although I did enjoy sailing in The Wind Waker there would have to be a lot more going on for me to enjoy it again. Phantom Hourglass took steps in that direction by letting you fight and sail at the same time but for a grand environment such as an open ocean, you need grand things to populate it.

There are examples of sea creatures which are enormous (blue whales come immediately to mind) and they are so because they had the space to grow that big. Even if they weren't hostile, seeing gigantic sea creatures swimming around would add a whole new life to sailing. Stormy weather would also do this. The Wind Waker had the water get a little more bumpy when it rained but there was never any danger of, say, capsising or even just falling out of the boat so there was no reason to fear those pseudo-storms. Maybe some form of 'mini-game' could be triggered in stormy weather, where you have to complete certain tasks to make sure the boat doesn't suffer any ill fortune in a storm. That would make you more active while sailing and it would make you feel like you have some kind of control over what's going on with the boat.

The idea of running your own pirate ship is one that a friend and I talked about a few years ago... For The Elder Scrolls. I agree with TheBlueReptile that being captain of your own ship in a Zelda game would get cumbersome after a while. I think it could work in a game like The Elder Scrolls, but for Zelda sticking to a smaller vessel would work better I think. But definitely some kind of upgrade system would be excellent. It's always nice to invest in your equipment and making your ship gradually better is something I think any future 'Maritime Zelda' games should include.

Hmm. I think if the sea did return I'd want some perrilous weather conditions from time to time. Seas that are actually turbulent rather than just having 2D wave sprites wandering past every now and then. I also quite like the idea of having HUGE underwater creatures swimming past and maybe attacing from time to time. The idea of seaing giant underwater behemoths cruise past you while you traverse the ocean is a glorious mental image and would make it seem much more alive. As much as I like the sea from WW it wasn't very lively (for good story-based reason mind you) and I'd like the next possible incarnation of it to be a bit more bustling.

The idea of an upgrade system as rock said is also something I think would make a great addition. Things like a stiffer rudder so steering isn't as flimsy, or a sail that catches more wind so you go faster. Whilst pirating the great sea is an attaractive offer I don't think I'd be too keen on piloting my own huge pirate ships. It would make the experience less personal and no doubt constantly getting off and on the ship would get tiresome. I like the "hop-in" approach they took to KotRL. It meant you could make quick pit stops at islands and not have to worry about things like parking.

See, I grappled with the upgrade system for a bit and tried to figure out what would be feasible upgrades for pirating the open seas. Naturally, I created enemies that would overshadow the likes of a small boat, which meant the only direction upgrades could go is up, But I had no intention of making it cumbersome. By that point in the game, you'd have your hookshot and easy access down and up (if it were a big ship) as your crew would just hoist you up, etc.

Your ship upgrades are:
Sailboat (typical WW style, no canons/no claw)
Merchant Ship (faster, small pirate ship, no canons)
Gale Ship (very fast Merchant Ship w/ 3 canons)
Sloop Ship (your typical pirate ship, Merchant Ship speed w/ 10 canons)
Gun Ship (large and slow-starting, but builds Merchant Ship momentum w/ 30 canons)
and Thunder Gun Ship (the largest and slowest w/ 100 canons)

The beauty is that they aren't all required for in-game completion. You could manage to do with just the Merchant Ship, but the gun ships are exclusively for those who like to acquire all upgrades and/or blow enemies to bits...literally...to bits. Sailboats and Merchant Ships can be manned by yourself (and so, essentially the Gale Ship as well), but for the gun ships you would need to enlist a crew, which is part of the side quest missions to acquire such a behemoth.

Still, I must remind everyone that the open seas are not the main element of the game. Think of sailing as an equivalent of what Epona was in OoT (not that it'd be that restricted).

I think it would be very great to have a gritty, real looking game on the sea, much like the aesthetic look of Pirates of the Carribean movies. Personally, I would find that enthralling.

I think it would be very great to have a gritty, real looking game on the sea, much like the aesthetic look of Pirates of the Carribean movies. Personally, I would find that enthralling.

Have you seen some of the Assassin's Creed III footage on the sea? It reminds me of just that kind of grittiness. I'd say that's a great template for a Zelda take only with mythical creatures and more colorful scenery.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Oooh boy. That's tough to decide

It honestly depends on how it comes out really. If Nintendo decided to do the sea with realistic visuals, it'd either be absolutely gorgeous, or it would suck and id get bored with it very fast. With the wind waker, its just so charming and fun to look at. I'd honestly rather be looking at cartoony crisp blue water than murky realistic water.

I'm sure they could pull it off, but itd take a lot of work

Have you seen some of the Assassin's Creed III footage on the sea? It reminds me of just that kind of grittiness. I'd say that's a great template for a Zelda take only with mythical creatures and more colorful scenery.

No I'll have to check that out.

No I'll have to check that out.

Please do and tell me what you think. I always have these opinions but never know if they line up with any accuracy. It'd be nice to further ponder the idea of that kind of example used in the Zelda world.

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
Personally I thought sailing the ocean on WW and PH was boring. Sailing the Lanayru Sand Sea was fun. I also think it would be cool with realistic Twilight Princess style graphics. They could make it really creepy with realistic sea monsters and thunderstorms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom