• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Potentially Crazy Idea Involving Indie Gaming.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
So the other day, a lightbulb went on over my head at work. That's where I tend to get my most...big crazy ideas, go figure :P I've experimented with game development in the past, had an awesome original project going but never got very far because programming is an absolute bear for me to understand. Then the software I was using went downhill and I can't use it anymore, so...the concept went to the back of my mind, perhaps never to return...

The idea I got was this: make it happen, and make proceeds go to the animal shelter I volunteer at. Thought about somehow making it available on the 3ds e-shop, but I don't know if it's possible to actually get paid myself when somebody downloads it. Flash is another option, with it, I can port it to apple and android, as well as it being on windows pc. A kickstarter will be started to pay for whatever I decide to use as well as somebody to make music for it. That's one skill I don't see myself learning...I'm not musically inclined. At all. But I can sprite and I bet I can learn to program if I tried. I know there are some musicians here, but will they want to donate their talent? I won't make them work for free...willing to haggle prices. And of course they'll be fully credited. ANYONE who helps out, whether it's music or programming or whatever, will be credited.

tl;dr
- When an indie game developer ports something to the 3ds, do they ever get the money when it's purchased?
- Anyone want to help with programming or music for a game and get paid and fully credited?

Fig

The Altruist
I do believe that an indie game developer would receive all of the money that was obtain from being purchased by those that bought the game.That said, I really don't know how it works so I wouldn't entire know exactly how does an indie developer obtain the money. While I would like to assist you in programming or music composition, I just don't have the skill to do programming despite going of r degree in electrical engineering. However I do believe members such as drahsid and Clank may provide better assistance in your request so I suggest sending them a VM or PM soon.

Ganondork

goo
Dragoncat said:
- When an indie game developer ports something to the 3ds, do they ever get the money when it's purchased?

Of course you do. You are paid in royalties, which is a percentage of the total profits. If your agreement is you get 10% of the profit, and your game is $1, then you get $0.10 for every unit purchased. I don't know how much in royalties is offered by Nintendo, but Steam is a lot more viable in my opinion.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I wish I could help with the music but I don't have the money to buy commercial use software and I'm not very talented... I wish you luck, however. I might be able to help you with level design or art if you need that.

prince rallis

I'm a huge metal fan.
I could probably help with the music, I've generally only composed with Mario Paint and my brother told me he thought they were good.

If Mario Paint doesn't work for you I could try using Noteblock Studio or Orgmaker, depends on what you're looking for.

And for reference he're a couple of my Mario Paint songs I've composed.

[video=youtube;5HZ-PCGw6qU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HZ-PCGw6qU&list=UUMs0O2ZynhL09-AQqXZg14w[/video]

[video=youtube;k2BeMs7nTbI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2BeMs7nTbI&list=UUMs0O2ZynhL09-AQqXZg14w[/video]

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I do believe that an indie game developer would receive all of the money that was obtain from being purchased by those that bought the game.That said, I really don't know how it works so I wouldn't entire know exactly how does an indie developer obtain the money. While I would like to assist you in programming or music composition, I just don't have the skill to do programming despite going of r degree in electrical engineering. However I do believe members such as drahsid and Clank may provide better assistance in your request so I suggest sending them a VM or PM soon.

Nonononono. You get royalties. There's no chance Nintendo would put a game on their system and give them complete compensation. Your compensation is actually usually a fairly small percentage in fact.

I would love to help out, but I am wondering how you plan on paying these programmers when all proceeds go to an animal shelter? Also, perhaps you should make a plan so if the revenue reaches a certain dollar amount, you start breaking up where the proceeds go. If you somehow make millions off of the game, don't you think you should separate the proceeds?

Anyway, I am a programmer but my current skills are of course, limited. Where I can and can't help you is dependent on what kind of game you want to make. I excel especially at web design though and I assume you will need a website if you want to launch a game that actually does well. If I'm given real compensation then I can build a website for relatively cheap.

VM me, PM me, or add me on skype at Repentance193 and we can discuss more there.

Dragoncat

Thanks guys! I'm not bad at web design, so I'll do that myself. I had no idea what royalties were...thanks for the explanations.

I've found Stencyl, the indie package of that is $99 a year, which isn't that bad...so that's what I'll probably use. It can do online flash, PC, apple, android...not 3ds though, but that's no big deal.

Jamie

Thanks guys! I'm not bad at web design, so I'll do that myself. I had no idea what royalties were...thanks for the explanations.

I've found Stencyl, the indie package of that is $99 a year, which isn't that bad...so that's what I'll probably use. It can do online flash, PC, apple, android...not 3ds though, but that's no big deal.

Wait a second, to what extent are you good at web design? Just markup (HTML and CSS)? Because I am extremely well-versed in PHP and MySQL. I could create an account system or something more advanced than a simple website. With my abilities I could create a facebook-esque website (of course that's not what you need, but you get the picture).

I would say I am versed in other programming languages but you plan on using a code-free software.

D

Deleted member 14134

You'd get paid a percentage of price it was sold at. The 3DS seems like a big leap for a first game. The PC and phone markets seem to be more of a gateway for indie developers, I would aim for that first.

Dragoncat

Wait a second, to what extent are you good at web design? Just markup (HTML and CSS)? Because I am extremely well-versed in PHP and MySQL. I could create an account system or something more advanced than a simple website. With my abilities I could create a facebook-esque website (of course that's not what you need, but you get the picture).

I would say I am versed in other programming languages but you plan on using a code-free software.
Yeah, just markup...does a site for a game really need an account system?

Ganondork

goo

You need more than markup to run a website. If you want social media attached, you need PHP. And before you ask, having social media on your site is very important. A comment system, if you're avoiding an account system, requires more than just markup. Markup makes things pretty. PHP and other languages make the website actually do things.

Account systems are important for things like pre-orders, newsletters, and things of that nature.

Jamie

Depends on the size of the game, perhaps you will turn your game into a company. And also an account system is just one of the many things PHP and MySQL are capable of. How do you plan on having people pay for the game? Are there high scores? Without any skills beyond markup, you are severely limited.

Jamie

Alrighty. Feel free to add me on skype at Repentance193 if you have Skype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom