• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Future

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I want to know what you guys think about the idea of a futuristic Legend of Zelda. Do you think it would be a horrible game or the best Zelda game ever created? I personally think that a Legend of Zelda that takes place in the future is the coolest thing I've ever heard.

When I think of this game in my head, I imagine Link wearing a dark green, leather coat that goes down to his feet with a beige shirt and pants underneath with the same pointy hat, brown gloves and boots, and one golden earing one his left ear. (Link has two blue earings in all the other games.)

Well, the thing i love most about Zelda games is how even though when Hyrule or wherever the game takes place is undergoing major stress and destruction, it still seems so peaceful and joyous. Wind Waker really played off of that element. The whole sea was being taken over and flooded with enemies by pure evil, but for some reason, the people still seemed chipper. The future wouldn't be like that, in today's day and age, everyone i see on the streets has 15 inch holes in their ears, tattoos all over their bodies and are depressed. I play Zelda to escape this world, because i want nothing more than happiness. If we had a future based Zelda, it would ruin that aspect of the game.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I have an idea of what that might be like and I think it could work as a one-game thing. I definately don't see it as being the best game in the series simply seeing as how it would go against the series' core story but, if done well, I don't see it as being bad either. Honestly though, I think this would be better off as a novel or a fanfiction than as an actual game, and it likely wouldn't be canon.

Nah, i've always enjoyed medieval video games. And if you made that many changes to the Legend of Zelda, it wouldn't even be Zelda anymore.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I was more thinking that Hyrule would look every place seen in Star Wars all combined. When I say future, I mean like way in the future. Also, when I think of the game in my head, I think of something a lot like Final Fantasy.

winterbbytumblr was saying how everything and everyone in the Legend of Zelda games seems peaceful and joyous even when evil is taking over the world. When I imagine the futuristic version of the game, that aspect isn't changed.

The main things that I would want to see, if anything, in a futuristic style would be the tools and weapons Link carries around, the clothes he wears, and the scenery and landspace in the game.

The things that make the Legend of Zelda the Legend of Zelda wouldn't be changed for the most part. It would just be everything else.

FosterTheNation

The Better of The Best
I think a Zelda game that's set in the future of current Zelda games would be awesome. A game set around the 1800's when things are started to be industrialized. It wouldn't be a western, but you might compare it to Assassin's Creed III

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I had this idea a short while back and though I did change my mind after much consideration, I did not give up on the idea completely. Many responses to my idea were along the lines of either "NO" or "In one area...maybe..." I personally would be fine with one random Zelda that takes place in the future. However, many others like the medieval concept. I would like to see a Zelda where the Tri-Force is used to progress civilization but it isn't working out and things are corrupting in the change so Link has to revert the world back to normal. This brief but advanced time in the Zelda history would be a great change of scenery and could easily be fit to hold the same old Zelda formula.

I am willing to settle with having this progression in one area of the game much like Lanayru Desert in Skyward Sword. This area included the ability to return to the past where the desert is actually a lush paradise that is a bustling port for the Timeshift Stone trade. Though this area had technologically advanced machinery and robots, it still didn't have as much as I would have liked. So in the future, maybe a game where there are towering buildings and holograms and such but only in one area and only used by one species and not used for warfare so Link can keep his original weaponry.

No way! Part of the awesomeness about LoZ is that it takes place in semi-medieval times. There was talk a while ago about bringing guns into LoZ, but that's just as ridiculous.
Bringing Link into the future would change way to much about the series in a very bad way.

One of the things that is awesome about zelda, in my opinion, is the world it takes place in. Hyrule (in Oot mostly) is for me such an utopic place. It's full of colors, happy people leading lives where nothing bad happens other than monsters being there. I think it is an ideal world, just chill at lon lon ranch, lake hylia or kakariko village. The peace and happy atmosphere is great and the fact that it is medieval kinda universe makes it even more apealing!

Personally I would love a futuristic game added to the series. To me the medieval factor does not create all of what makes Zelda, Zelda. It is always the Zelda Mythology and the combinitation of the story and the characters that makes a true Zelda experience. It would take a little more creativity and originality, but if there could be a combination between a futuristic feel without overbearing technology and cheesy future-ness, I think it would be an amazing game. Keep some mystery behind a magic and origin aspect and it could be a terrific Zelda game!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom