• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Good Name for Link's Loftwing

It's been bugging me forever how I've always called the bird "the loftwing", when I'm supposed to have this deep bond with the thing. So I started to try to think of the perfect name for it and have come up with the name Rhiannon.
I started by finding out more on the name Epona, I heard once that it is the italian/french (don't remember which) word for pony, however, when I googled it I find it's the celtic goddess for horses and fertility. So I thought which god/goddess is over birds? with the help of these sites, I found the goddess for birds and horses is Rhiannon.
The Gods and Goddesses of the Celtic Lands
Celtic Deities

I thought "huh, a goddess of birds and something you ride, it's perfect for a loftwing."
digging deeper I found this Goddess is associated with the moon, something that always lingers in the sky, being mystical and looking over you, like a loftwing. plus, the rare lunar eclipse is red.

the only problem with Rhiannon is, that it is a female name.... zelda called link's bird a "he".
So I'm curious on what you think of the name Rhiannon, and if you hate it, what are some ideas you have for a name. Let the discussion begin.

I never gave it much thought until this morning when I randomly blurted out "I'm flying, Jack!" While playing SS as i summoned my Loftwing, So to me the Loftwing is now called Jack, and I'm gonna start a new game and call Link Rose. =]

though Rhiannon is a nice name, very pretty and your reasons for the name are quite apt.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
For some odd reason, I think the name "Elric" would fit Link's Loftwing perfectly. Now, I don't know the meaning of "Elric", but it seems to fit with Link's Loftwing almost 1:1. At least in my opinion.

Alizarin. Because it's cool, it sounds masculine and powerful but graceful like a bird, and because there's a color of acrylic paint called Alizarin Crimson :D

M

Megatronsays

I love looking up the meaning of names, especially the Celtic deities and mythical goddesses. I love Rhiannon. I am now going to go listen to it. HAHA I never really thought of a name for the loftwing. Epona popped in my head, just thinking it was Epona from a previous life as a bird, I guess.

It's been bugging me forever how I've always called the bird "the loftwing", when I'm supposed to have this deep bond with the thing. So I started to try to think of the perfect name for it and have come up with the name Rhiannon.
I started by finding out more on the name Epona, I heard once that it is the italian/french (don't remember which) word for pony, however, when I googled it I find it's the celtic goddess for horses and fertility. So I thought which god/goddess is over birds? with the help of these sites, I found the goddess for birds and horses is Rhiannon.
The Gods and Goddesses of the Celtic Lands
Celtic Deities

I thought "huh, a goddess of birds and something you ride, it's perfect for a loftwing."
digging deeper I found this Goddess is associated with the moon, something that always lingers in the sky, being mystical and looking over you, like a loftwing. plus, the rare lunar eclipse is red.

the only problem with Rhiannon is, that it is a female name.... zelda called link's bird a "he".
So I'm curious on what you think of the name Rhiannon, and if you hate it, what are some ideas you have for a name. Let the discussion begin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom