• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda A Darker Legend of Zelda?

I'm posting this thread because today we see more and more games becoming realistic. As The Legend of Zelda series has evolved, there have been numerous art styles (Cell Shading, Hyper-Realistic, 8-Bit, etc.) But I feel as though Zelda could be much darker. I loved how the Shadow Temple conveyed a sense of darkness and fear. Although the graphics in Ocarina of Time for that temple weren't amazing, that temple portaited an amazing art style. They should make the next Zelda game with more realism but try and focus on gothic arcitecture or design a world where the player feels a sense of fear. The only Temple I took seriously was the Shadow Temple, The Empty Well, and the Ikana Kindom. Perhaps I just love that dark style ;) Let me know what you think on this topic, remember any Zelda game can be included. :party:

i really did love the architecture in TP and in some of the adult OoT temples, i would love to see a darker and more mature Zelda game but i highly doubt we'll ever see it, which is a shame but nevermind. I think it would be good for nintendo to give us at least one mature and dark Zelda, it'd put Zelda on the map for every CoD, Skyrim playing mainstream gamer for a while and would no doubt sell incredibly well. Nintendo won't fix what isn't broken though, they're loaded, don't need to change Zelda from anything other than what it is now to get sales because it will always sell and they can suffer some lacklustre sales and be completely fine. Zelda has a lot of dark potential but i dont think it'll ever see it realised.

Last edited:

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Well Said Spirit, it would be nice if they set a mature tone for zelda, as far a art style on graphics, if they were to use the art style they used on the tech demo for the Wii U, i would be happy, that looked pretty cool. as far as the whole plot and setting, i doubt they go to dark, but i would welcome it with open arm. it feels like they have always scratched the surface, or are literally try to go dark in tone, but they can never seem to cast their cutsey lil quirks they like to do aside!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think Twilight Princess is an example of how a Zelda game and be dark and mature but still maintain the general charm of the Zelda series. The graphical style was the most realistic we have seen yet and this made everything seem more real, the darker moments in the game such as some of the enemies and the early presence of Zant gave Zelda more of a fear factor. We have yet to see these themes in Zelda games thus far and I would love to see more imposing villains, not overly flamboyant villains such as Ghirahim who I never generally seen as a threat. I would certainly like to see more enemies and villains which strike a certain level of fear to the player, this is essentially what an enemy should be.

Another thing I would love to see like the OP mentioned is more darker settings and locations. The likes of the Shadow Temple, Arbiter Grounds even to the likes of Snowpeak. I use Snowpeak as an example as even though the setting and music was quite chilling you actually felt as if you were isolated in a snowy mountain. Give us more visually darker settings or evenmore realistic settings that relate to what there meant to be like going through the woods should be a scarier experience. Alter the music and make it more atmospheric, I think this would be enough to make the player feel as if they are actually experiencing what Link is actually doing.

The solution isn't to turn Zelda Into a completely dark experience but it is to make it feel more realistic! I mean if you think about it Link is going through some pretty creepy areas fighting some demonic villains however the way is presented is in a more charming manner. This in my opinion takes away from the realism, in a way I think TP to an extent captured more realistic features but still it is not enough. I would like to see a more realistic Zelda game with some dark themes but as long as it stays true to the Zelda formula and charm.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The graphical style of TP did give us a sense of darkness, but it was only a dark palette. I don't think Gothic architecture is the only way to convey moodiness; we could have even a high-quality business suite and there could still be that lingering touch of death that pervades the area.

In general I do believe that more dreadful themes could perhaps wipe their bloodstains onto the series, but to what extent? is the question. Modern Zelda is, at its core, a kid's series. I am not sure what direction we could take things like the Shadow Temple of OoT, or Arbiter's Ground in TP. :I

A darker Legend of Zelda? Please. Twilight Princess was pretty dark, but a big part of that was the droll palette. I want a darker, creepier Zelda game for all the right reasons, like scarier themes, a sense of fear throughout the game, and stunningly dark visuals, not dark in color, but in style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom