• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time 64-Bit Dungeon Comparison

Yeah, I agree. I prefered the dungeons in Ocarina of Time over the ones in Majora's Mask, and I also thought they were longer and harder.
Ocarina of Time really did have some awesome dungeons, lol. The Spirit Temple was epic, and the Shadow Temple was perfect for playing in the dark :)

S

Standard Gamer

Yeah, I agree. I prefered the dungeons in Ocarina of Time over the ones in Majora's Mask, and I also thought they were longer and harder.

The dungeons in Ocarina Of Time were not difficult. Longer.....maybe than Majora's Mask, but not harder then MM.

Mehplep

Simply awesome
I just have too agree with some previous posters, that stated that OoT had a more fluid way to make each dungeon harder with time, excluded Ice Cavern and Bottom of the Well. But I didn't really like that concept, actually. Deku Tree was a great starter dungeon, and it increased in difficulty very smoothly and good as you proceeded in the game. But it just made most dungeons too easy, because you were a bit prepared for what would come. In MM, on the other side, you started off with Woodfall, witch maybe was a bit too hard for a first dungeon, but still a great fun to begin with. And the suddenly you're throwed in Snowhead, witch was a signifently harder dungeon... and bingo, you have to think and act more! And I liked that concept more than the OoT dungeons...

I just have too agree with some previous posters, that stated that OoT had a more fluid way to make each dungeon harder with time, excluded Ice Cavern and Bottom of the Well. But I didn't really like that concept, actually. Deku Tree was a great starter dungeon, and it increased in difficulty very smoothly and good as you proceeded in the game. But it just made most dungeons too easy, because you were a bit prepared for what would come. In MM, on the other side, you started off with Woodfall, witch maybe was a bit too hard for a first dungeon, but still a great fun to begin with. And the suddenly you're throwed in Snowhead, witch was a signifently harder dungeon... and bingo, you have to think and act more! And I liked that concept more than the OoT dungeons...

The reason why the Ice Cavern seemed short was because it was originally meant to be the Ice Temple. There is a number of reasons why it was shortened, just like there are reasons why the Wind Temple was taken out...same with the Temple of Light. The major one was the pre-release of real Ura Zelda on the 64DD.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I'm not a big fan of 'half' dungeons in a way. Much like the Ice Cavern or Bottom of the Well in Ocarina of Time. Or the Gerudo Pirate Area in Majora's Mask and even to a lesser extent, Ikana Castle.

I think a dungeon needs to have a final boss in order to be classified as a dungeon. There needs to be a map/compass/and a dungeon item in order for it to be classified as one in my books as well. Most every Zelda dungeon has these three items. The side 'mini' dungeons are fun and all, but I prefer the normal dungeons. There are a few in each game with the main ones being the four I listed below. I didn't consider other areas like the skulltula houses in majora's mask because I think it has to be required to be considered a dungeon in anyway.

I don't remember Ikana Castle THAT much to comment on it, but I do remember it not being too long or hard. Same with the Ice Cavern in Ocarina of Time. If I had to choose, I think I'd give the edge to Ocarina of Time for the mini-dungeons as well.

As Avenged said though, I think I'd rather they included the 'Ice Temple' and even the 'Wind Temple' and 'Temple of Light'. The more, the better. :)

Mehplep

Simply awesome
Agreed, mini-dungeons arent the best parts in a Zelda game. I also agree that a good bossfight in the end is needed, and map/compass/item...

I although really value the time between the dungeons. Games like ALttP was mostly dungeons - after you've completed one, just make your way to the next and wtart working. I can't really say that I hate this concept though, I just like when you have to do something in between the dungeons more. LA was a great game in that way, that you needed to investigate the new area and, in most dungeons, find a key to unlock the next dungeon. It gives the Overworld so much more meaning... But I don't like mini-dungeons as a between-dungeon-thingy, I see them more like failed dungeons, where the programmers could've done so much more...

Z

Zelda Granny

This will probably sound like a dumb question but what are 64DD and Ura Zelda... I've never heard of them? They sound interesting though.

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
This will probably sound like a dumb question but what are 64DD and Ura Zelda... I've never heard of them? They sound interesting though.

64DD was an add-on to the N64 that never saw the light of day, besides Japan. Here is a link to the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64DD

It's a bit like the Sega 32x, but this add on was made more for the purpose of enhancing games, rather than creating new franchises for use for the 64DD. I personally don't know much about Ura Zelda - if you want to learn about it ask Avenged. From what I know though, it was a title to be released as an expansion pack for Ocarina of Time, sort of like the Master Quest. Some of what we have in Majora's Mask and the Master Quest (GC) are said to be taken from the Ura Zelda game that was never released. That is my understanding of it, but I could be (and am most likely) wrong.

I wouldent call it simmilar to the sega 32X. It was a for disks and more room to make games, not to improve graphix. While it could be used that way it was going to be used for larger games the cartedges the n64 used only held abit more then 25mb a cd can hold atleast 80mb.

Actually, its other purpose was in fact to improvre graphics, but yes it was only an addon disk system.

P

pieking

See the thing about the OoT and Majora's Mask is that despite the fact OoT had nearly double the temples, Majora's took me alot longer to complete. Majora's Mask went way more in depth then OoT did in terms of getting to temples. In OoT it was like ok beat one, on to the next. With Majora's it was like, do a side quest to get to the temple, beat the temple, reset the time, do the side quest for the next temple, go beat the temple, so on and so forth. And the side quests were no 15 minute task, more of a 30-45 minute task that you had to commit to because if you took a break its like ok where do I have to go now.. I forget. Atleast for me it was.. and I have a good memory. I enjoyed the simplicity of OoT more then Majora's though. OoT gets a 9/10 for me, Majora's is right there at like 8/10 from me.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Agreed, mini-dungeons arent the best parts in a Zelda game. I also agree that a good bossfight in the end is needed, and map/compass/item...

I think the term good is a bit misleading. What exactly is good? More creative? More difficult? More fun?

I really didn't think much of the Majora's Mask bosses. Some of them were a bit more challenging than the Ocarina of Time bosses but they didn't have enough uniqueness and just weren't that fun in comparison. I loved Barinade, Bongo-Bongo, Twinrova, and Volvagia. They were all a bit difficult the first time around but now for the most part, are relatively easy. Still, they are a lot of fun. Majora's Mask had sub-bosses in almost all the temples, which was awesome, and some of them were really cool. (I loved Wart from the Great Bay Temple)

In terms of bosses, Ocarina of Time gets a B+, while Majora's Mask gets a C.

It gives the Overworld so much more meaning... But I don't like mini-dungeons as a between-dungeon-thingy, I see them more like failed dungeons, where the programmers could've done so much more...

I do like the time between dungeons as well, which basically is completely what Majora's Mask was about. There was no straight temple to temple type thing. Sure there were those mini-dungeons, which I think are decent as long as they aren't... too hard or long. (I don't get the good feeling of beating a mini-dungeon, so having a hard one just isn't too exciting).

And the side quests were no 15 minute task, more of a 30-45 minute task that you had to commit to because if you took a break its like ok where do I have to go now.. I forget.

Yup, completely true. I didn't like all the mini-dungeons, but there was also a TON of optional quests. So if you just didn't want to go to the next temple... or if you were just stuck in a temple, there was a lot more to do in the game. Was pretty easy to get sidetracked from the main quest with all the sidequests. Sometimes you wouldn't even be able to finish some sidequests because of the time and you'd have to go back 3 days. I think the overall consensus is that Majora's Mask is a sidequest bananaza... which is a good thing. :)

This basically is a closer look at one of the commong OOT vs MM debates, the Dungeons.

So what do you guys prefer? A game that had a ton of more simple temples/dungeons, or ones that had a few, but they were quite hard. Personally, I liked the OOT dungeons, especially the easy ones because they actually were not too hard.

That's my only complaint with OOT actually. The kid dungeons were too easy and short. I like tons of dungeons but I like the dungeons themselves to all be tough. the enemies on the other hand I like to progressively get harder as you get bigger and better weapons. I also hated Jabu Jabu's belly, I don't know something about the dungeon not sure if it's the color scheme or what really turns me off to it. MM dungeonwise was I think almost just right. The only dungeon I didn't like was the stone one which took me weeks to pass cuz it was ridiculously confusing.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
The kid dungeons were too easy and short. I like tons of dungeons but I like the dungeons themselves to all be tough.

Really, you thought the kid dungeons were TOO easy? Think about this, if there were no kid dungeons, and the first dungeon was actually the Forest Temple, that would be ridiculously hard for the first dungeon. Heck, that being the 4th dungeon, I still thought it was really hard. I think Woodfall Temple was easier than the Forest Temple.

In my opinion, if Ocarina of Time was your first 3d Zelda title, I think the Great Deku Tree is a good challenge. Heck, I was even stuck on it for quite some time the first time I played through. It was the first time we were in a 3d environment for Zelda, so it was all a mystery.

Now on the flipside, given there was a TON of things to do before the first dungeon in Majora's Mask, but Woodfall Temple was MUCH harder than the Great Deku Tree. Most Majora's Mask players had played Ocarina of Time first, so were used to dungeon navigating, so Woodfall wasn't THAT difficult. However, if that was the first dungeon in the first 3d Zelda game, that would be way too hard for people. I give a thumbs up to the child Link dungeons in Ocarina of Time.

Really, you thought the kid dungeons were TOO easy? Think about this, if there were no kid dungeons, and the first dungeon was actually the Forest Temple, that would be ridiculously hard for the first dungeon.

I don't know I think it'd be fun to start out with that one. Maybe I've just played too many zelda games but even when I played OOT for the first time I passed the kid dungeons really quickly and couldn't wait to get big. If they started with it though they'd probably have to remove the wall masters and put in some weaker enemies. The big skeleton guys would be impossibly hard to pass with 3 hearts and phantom Ganon would probably have to deal less damage.

Now on the flipside, given there was a TON of things to do before the first dungeon in Majora's Mask, but Woodfall Temple was MUCH harder than the Great Deku Tree.

Yeah I liked how it was tough, granted I still passed it pretty fast but the dungeon itself took alot more skill to beat than the deku tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom