• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2016: Huge Year For Gaming

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This generation has been so slow to start that I'm merely cautiously optimistic about what this year will bring. Only a handful of games like The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, and Splatoon truly feel like something that couldn't be accomplished last generation. Compare this to last generation where we already had the likes of Bioshock, Gears of War, Super Mario Galaxy, Assassin's Creed, The Orange Box, Grand Theft Auto IV, Metal Gear Solid IV, and more this many years in. The 3DS had a strong 2013, the Wii U a strong 2014, and the PS4 is fantastic for people who never owned a PS3, but almost everything about this generation feels like a stop gap before the next big jump in console hardware.

I think FF15 is going to be a big one, one of the only which requires the current gen hardware.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
This generation has been so slow to start that I'm merely cautiously optimistic about what this year will bring. Only a handful of games like The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, and Splatoon truly feel like something that couldn't be accomplished last generation. Compare this to last generation where we already had the likes of Bioshock, Gears of War, Super Mario Galaxy, Assassin's Creed, The Orange Box, Grand Theft Auto IV, Metal Gear Solid IV, and more this many years in. The 3DS had a strong 2013, the Wii U a strong 2014, and the PS4 is fantastic for people who never owned a PS3, but almost everything about this generation feels like a stop gap before the next big jump in console hardware.
You really think No Man's Sky could be done on previous hardware...?

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
No Man's Sky is vaguely mentioned in the OP.

Minecraft in space, except it has 18 quintillion planets. Quintillion. That's 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets. And according to the creators, they are actual planet-sized. Now, I'm not sure how accurate this is, but that is ****ing incredible. Not to mention, unlike Minecraft, there's one shared game world that everyone plays in, not a randomly generated field every single time. It's pretty crazy. Apparently if you were to take a be-line to the center of the galaxy (there are likely countless galaxies in the game, but each person is put on the outside of their respective galaxy, with things getting more difficult the closer to the center), it would take 40 hours, and thats if you didn't have to fuel up. It's insane.
That's why I'm so excited for it. The world is massive, and it is very likely that the planets you discover, and the animals/plants too, have never been discovered prior to you. And you can name new planets and fauna, too. Imagine the possibilities....

It's just gonna be curse words, huh?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Bloodborne... truly feel like something that couldn't be accomplished last generation.
But they did. Twice: they're called Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. Hell, evn DeS.

Now I'm not knocking BB, I love the game and it's the best game on the PS4 (as well as the ONLY game on the station4 ;)), but it is hardly a "next gen title". Maybe for all of that damn chromatic abberation going on, but other than that it's already been done before.

D

Deleted member 14134

Every year this generation looks to be great until the games start coming out. I feel like there're too many disappointments/games not reaching their full potential.

Uncharted 4 should be good, everything Naughty Dog does is amazing and the attention to detail I've seen in the few videos I've watched have been amazing, maybe even unmatched by any other game I've witnessed.

As for Mass Effect, I keep hearing about several people leaving Bioware. I can only imagine this is because the direction EA is taking this game. From what I've heard and seen I can't imagine this game will be ready for 2016 regardless of whether or not it's released this year. Bioware really used to be a great company (and a hometown developer for me), it's sad that they had to get bought out by EA.

After Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 is the game I'm least worried about this year, with the original director back on it I have no doubt that it will deliver.

No Man's Sky looks very ambitious. I'm not sure if I want to play it or not simply because of the huge amount of my time it will eat up in the process. It is an incredible achievement though. Even if 10 million people played the game and they each discovered a million planets, not even a percent of the world would be discovered.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a new PS4 exclusive IP that I'll keep my eye on.

I've never played a final fantasy game before but the first trailer for XV caught my attention and if I hear enough good things about it I might be forced to give it a try.

I've yet to play anything from Team Ico but the last guardian looks like it could be amazing, it's another one I'll have to keep an eye on.

One that hasn't been mentioned on here is Divinity Original Sin 2. I'm currently played through the first one with a friend and it is by far the best couch co-op experience I've ever had and am really looking forward to the second one when it arrives (hopefully) this December.

And then there's Zelda which is pretty much a buy for me as long as it's on the Wuu. I'll call my feelings for this game right now skeptical excitement. With the way Nintendo's going with Zelda I'm almost positive it won't be to me what SS is to JJ but I at least hope it can be something I sit down, get sucked into and enjoy.

It baffles me that people can only find a few games interesting when every month fantastic games get released. We are essentially 2 years into this gen i already have a far better collection of games i had in a similar time period last gen. Granted last gen was my favorite of all time, so the stakes are high.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It baffles me that people can only find a few games interesting when every month fantastic games get released. We are essentially 2 years into this gen i already have a far better collection of games i had in a similar time period last gen. Granted last gen was my favorite of all time, so the stakes are high.
What games do you own for which systems? Do you like all games or are you more of a niche?

Me personally, I'm closer to a niche kinda guy. All I own for PS4 is Bloodborne and Call of Booty (Star Wars: Not Battlefront doesn't count). For Wii U, the only thing TO OWN is the stock Mario game and Zelda remasters. I'm about to sell my XO again.

Right now i only own an xbox one, and i like all kinds of games. My favorite titles so far have been Ori and the Blind Forest (which surpassed Super Metroid for me in this kind of game), The 2 foza games, Horizon and 6. which are likely the 2 best racing games ever made. Rise of the Tomb Raider, my goty of last year, The witcher 3, Alien Isolation the fantastic Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall which i adore, The Masterchief collection, Halo 5 MP which i play every day, Life is Strange, the incredible MGSV, Wlfenstein New Order and Old Blood, and Child of Light, my favorite Ubisoft game.

A friend of mine has a ps4, and i enjoyed my time with Bloodborne, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Little Big Planet 3, The Witness, Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3. This year started off pretty well with Oxenfree, Unravel and The Witness like i mentioned before.

And i dont have much access to a WiiUk, even though i really want to play Xenoblade X, 3D World and Tropical Freeze. Not to mention the Zelda remasters.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Minecraft in space, except it has 18 quintillion planets. Quintillion. That's 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets. And according to the creators, they are actual planet-sized. Now, I'm not sure how accurate this is, but that is ****ing incredible. Not to mention, unlike Minecraft, there's one shared game world that everyone plays in, not a randomly generated field every single time. It's pretty crazy. Apparently if you were to take a be-line to the center of the galaxy (there are likely countless galaxies in the game, but each person is put on the outside of their respective galaxy, with things getting more difficult the closer to the center), it would take 40 hours, and thats if you didn't have to fuel up. It's insane.

Shared universe is cool and all, but what if your friends are near the center of the universe and you're at the edge? I'd hate to log in 40 hours just to get to a planet with a friend. The PS4's install base is just over 35 million, so if we say everyone with a PS4 bought this game, and an equal amount of people on the PC, that's 70 million, roughly. 18 quintillion/70 million is roughly ~260 billion planets per person - a very small percentage of running into someone else. That's a very lonely shared universe. I'm sure they will have some kind of fast-travel system and things to do (space battles and whatnot), but overall, the 18 quintillion number doesn't impress me. Hopefully, for longevities sake, it gives you the ability to actually create things or make custom servers or something. Even though Minecraft ain't my cup of tea, that is something it does right. I'd assume flying into the great unknown to see procedurally generated flora and fauna that you can kill, name and have sex with would get boring after a few hours.

No Man's Sky is vaguely mentioned in the OP.

That MC in space game sounds freaking epic.

Jamie

Shared universe is cool and all, but what if your friends are near the center of the universe and you're at the edge? I'd hate to log in 40 hours just to get to a planet with a friend. The PS4's install base is just over 35 million, so if we say everyone with a PS4 bought this game, and an equal amount of people on the PC, that's 70 million, roughly. 18 quintillion/70 million is roughly ~260 billion planets per person - a very small percentage of running into someone else. That's a very lonely shared universe. I'm sure they will have some kind of fast-travel system and things to do (space battles and whatnot), but overall, the 18 quintillion number doesn't impress me. Hopefully, for longevities sake, it gives you the ability to actually create things or make custom servers or something. Even though Minecraft ain't my cup of tea, that is something it does right. I'd assume flying into the great unknown to see procedurally generated flora and fauna that you can kill, name and have sex with would get boring after a few hours.
They've already confirmed you can type in a planet that your friend has found and instantly go there.

Jamie

That is one game I want to get. And with the planet logging system it is like pokemon but with planets
What the heck are you talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom