• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2016: Huge Year For Gaming

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
This is one of the biggest years for gaming in a very long time. Look at the stuff that is coming out, everything from completely unanticipated games to games we've been waiting for for a very long time.

Final Fantasy XV, a game that's been in development since 2006, is finally coming out this year. It's got to be one of the most anticipated games of the last decade.

Persona IV came out in 2008, and now finally, after much waiting, Persona V is coming out this year.

Zelda U of course has been in the back of every Zelda fan's mind since Skyward Sword got stale a few months after its release. Finally, we will see a Wii U Zelda title.

The Last Guardian will excite Ico and Shadow of the Colossus fans everywhere, with Team Ico's incredible storytelling, anyone who has played these games has loved them. Unfortunately, they don't make much money, so at one point there was a question as to whether or not a third game would be created by them. Finally, we know the answer.

For any Zero Escape fans, anyone who has played 999 or Virtue's Last Reward, was absolutely ****ting their pants when the announcement of Zero Escape 3 happened. Zero Escape is an incredibly story-driven puzzle game, with LOTS of questions left unanswered after Zero Escape 2. The 3rd and final entry was on an indefinite hiatus, as the games did not sell well in Japan, and despite their North American sales, the creator of the Zero Escape franchise had to put the game on hold as he could not get the funding he needed. Finally, he got his funding, and the game is coming out this summer.

Dragon Quest XI is coming out this year, a very popular franchise and a much anticipated game. Unlike some of the others on this list, everyone knew it was coming and it wasn't taking a century, but very big release nonetheless.

Dark Souls is a franchise that has taken off recently, and with Dark Souls III coming out soon, I can only imagine it growing.

Mass Effect 4 was a game a lot of people weren't even sure would ever exist, and yet here we are, anticipating a release this year.

Watch out for this year's E3, as Kingdom Hearts III could very easily be given a 2016 release date, and so could the Final Fantasy VII remake.

This only scratches the surface of this year's collection. Uncharted 4, Gears of War 4, No Man's Sky, Street Fighter V, Pokken Tournament, the new Deus Ex game, and much more are all coming out this year.

So, I think this year is going to be very, very big for gaming. I'm personally very excited, how about you guys?

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I think I've become cynical this generation. Out of the games you mentioned, I'm interested in Deus Ex, because I really liked Human Revolution, Mass Effect 4 piques my interest, simply because I really loved the ME Trilogy, and that's it. I didn't really like Ico, and I didn't play Shadow of the Colossus, so Last Guardian isn't doing it for me.

Essentially, there's no game coming this year that tells me "You have to get a PS4!" I would love to get one as a gift, and I would get games for it (many of those on this list) if I got one, but none of these games scream to me "Get a new console".

In fact, I think 2016 looks dreary. I'm completely the opposite. I think 2015 was the biggest year in a while, and this year looks terrible in comparison. I'm only interested in a few of these games, and I'm excited about none of them.

Yeah its pretty amazing, last year was fantastic too and im still buying some of its games this year. 2016 already had a pretty strong start imo.

Jamie

I think I've become cynical this generation. Out of the games you mentioned, I'm interested in Deus Ex, because I really liked Human Revolution, Mass Effect 4 piques my interest, simply because I really loved the ME Trilogy, and that's it. I didn't really like Ico, and I didn't play Shadow of the Colossus, so Last Guardian isn't doing it for me.

Essentially, there's no game coming this year that tells me "You have to get a PS4!" I would love to get one as a gift, and I would get games for it (many of those on this list) if I got one, but none of these games scream to me "Get a new console".

In fact, I think 2016 looks dreary. I'm completely the opposite. I think 2015 was the biggest year in a while, and this year looks terrible in comparison. I'm only interested in a few of these games, and I'm excited about none of them.
I'm just talking about in terms of impact and how many people are anticipating a lot of these games. I'm not interested in all of them either, but I can't deny their popularity.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
NX may launch this year, but DO NOT expect a 2016 release date for KH3. 2017 at the earliest. I say this because FFXV development as of the last ATR was something around 70% done if I remember correctly, and that is one hell of a game. KH3 isn't a similarly huge game, but it still commands a large development team in its own right -- the team taht is involved on XV no less.

The first episode of FF7 remake may also launch this year, but again I'd prepare for a 2017 release date more than anything.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I made a thread the other week and its pretty much the same thing as this one so I've copied over the games I said I was excited for in that thread. Here they are:

Final Fantasy 15- This has been years in the making and unlike Nintendo and Zelda we have been shown updates for this game, they have allowed fans to play a tester and taken in feedback and rectified problems and recently a gameplay trailer was released showing that they have made improvements to the combat system. It looks totally amazing. I cant wait to play the game. It looks fun. Not only that but the game itself is beautiful. The graphics are going to be the best this generation. The design of the world (which we have only seen a tiny amount of) looks fantastic. I'm looking forward to the story, this is a series well known for its storytelling and for me story is equally important to how a game plays. I'm just...I cant wait for this. It's the game I'm most excited for this year.

Zelda U-I'm ready to give this series a final chance to impress me. Since TP I have noticed a big decline into mediocrity with the series. When it happens to a franchise you love it makes it even worse. I want this game to be good. I want it to do well...Just dont **** it up Aounuma.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided- I greatly enjoyed its predecessor. Transhumanism is a topic which captivates my interest so when I saw the first trailer for Human Revolution and that it was about transhumanism I knew that I would have to get the game. It turned out to have a great story to it. It was stylish and a joy to explore its world. The stealth gameplay was fun and I enjoyed all the different augmentations you could get for yourself. It is only natural that I want to play the sequel. The story should be interesting with transhumans actually being rejected now by society rather than being seen as the future.

Twilight Princess HD- TP is my favourite game of all time. I would have liked a proper remake but I'll make do with a remaster. It has hero mode and should correct my complaint with the weak enemies of the original.

Dark Souls 3- I am a big lover of the original but have refrained from buying 2 which has been reported to me as not being particularly good. DS3 promises to correct the problems with 2 so hopefully will be as good as 1.

Final Fantasy 7 remake- I'm looking forward to playing this game. I like the sound of the story of FF7. I enjoyed the animated movie Advent Children however I cant bring myself to play the original. I know I won't get the same joy from it first timers got when they played when it first came out. I don't even like turn based games like that anyway. But 7 remake has gameplay more akin to Crisis Core which I did enjoy, so I'll get it when it is all out, which is probably not this year as it is apparently being released in parts rather than all at once. I am not one to watch serials until the box set or play serial games until all parts are out.

Darksiders 3-This was available to preorder yet its probably just going to get a reveal this year and release next year. Loved 1. Enjoyed 2 but not as much. Here is me hoping 3 will be an improvement.

Doom-This looks like Serious Sam crossed with Bulletstorm and Gears of war. There's curb stomping, crazy weapons, ripping out your enemies eyes and bathing in their blood as you explode them. I saw a recent trailer and I knew this was my sort of experience.

Mass Effect Andromeda- There hasn't been much news on this game and I'm not sure it will actually come out this year but the ME series is one of my favourites of all time and I am interested in where it will go after the events of 3.

Scalebound-The game looks really nice. I love the art direction of it. The gameplay videos I have seen look interesting so I'm kind of looking forward to this game. I doubt I will buy on release or anything but when it is cheaper I will likely pick up.

Gears of War 4- I got gears 1 and 2 with my xbox 360 in a bundle and have played the series through many times since. The story of 3 wrapped things up with the locust so this is going to be a whole new enemy. I'm definitely going to give this game a shot at some stage.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Might want to throw in the possibility of the NX launching this year too. Apparentely it's going to be more powerful than the PS4 or Xbox One. That claim remains to be tested, but if true it'll be a huge deal.

I definitely won't believe that until I see it. Would be nice, if it's used properly and, more importantly, the 3rd parties come back.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I mean there's no Bloodborne this year so what's even the point tbh

we should just cancel video games until Bloodborne 2 is ready because nothing else matters

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
I'm surprised no one mentioned No Man's Sky. I'm super hyped for that game. As much as I love space, exploration sandbox games, and absolute freedom in games, I think the game is being costumed tailored to my particular interests. I'm hoping it's as good I hope it is, because it might be my GOTY, if that's so.

Other than that, I think Twilight Princess is a given, Zelda U (If it launches this year, which I bet it will), The Division (Especially after playing the free beta), and many more games look incredibly interesting. Plus, the DLC for Fallout 4 is launching this year, so I'm excited for that, too.

Reactions: Dan

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I'm surprised no one mentioned No Man's Sky.

It might just be me, but I don't get that game. It's just an open world, procedurally generated sandbox of a universe, right? What is there to do? All the videos I've seen is just a dude scanning planets, blowing up rocks, and running from fauna. Seems at best it will be Minecraft in space, which may be okay.

I'm interested in Mass Effect 4 mostly. ME 3 was solid (especially after they released the extended ending), but I'm still not holding my breath. This is EA after all. Halo Wars 2 also has my interest. Halo Wars was the best console RTS last-gen, and I really look forward to another.

Beyond that, I'll just be keeping on eye on games like Scalebound, Recore, Gears 4, No Man's Sky, Deus Ex and KH3. Probably won't get any of them at release, but I'll scope out some reviews and videos and pick them up during a sale.

Jamie

I'm surprised no one mentioned No Man's Sky. I'm super hyped for that game. As much as I love space, exploration sandbox games, and absolute freedom in games, I think the game is being costumed tailored to my particular interests. I'm hoping it's as good I hope it is, because it might be my GOTY, if that's so.

Other than that, I think Twilight Princess is a given, Zelda U (If it launches this year, which I bet it will), The Division (Especially after playing the free beta), and many more games look incredibly interesting. Plus, the DLC for Fallout 4 is launching this year, so I'm excited for that, too.
No Man's Sky is vaguely mentioned in the OP.
It might just be me, but I don't get that game. It's just an open world, procedurally generated sandbox of a universe, right? What is there to do? All the videos I've seen is just a dude scanning planets, blowing up rocks, and running from fauna. Seems at best it will be Minecraft in space, which may be okay.

I'm interested in Mass Effect 4 mostly. ME 3 was solid (especially after they released the extended ending), but I'm still not holding my breath. This is EA after all. Halo Wars 2 also has my interest. Halo Wars was the best console RTS last-gen, and I really look forward to another.

Beyond that, I'll just be keeping on eye on games like Scalebound, Recore, Gears 4, No Man's Sky, Deus Ex and KH3. Probably won't get any of them at release, but I'll scope out some reviews and videos and pick them up during a sale.
Minecraft in space, except it has 18 quintillion planets. Quintillion. That's 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets. And according to the creators, they are actual planet-sized. Now, I'm not sure how accurate this is, but that is ****ing incredible. Not to mention, unlike Minecraft, there's one shared game world that everyone plays in, not a randomly generated field every single time. It's pretty crazy. Apparently if you were to take a be-line to the center of the galaxy (there are likely countless galaxies in the game, but each person is put on the outside of their respective galaxy, with things getting more difficult the closer to the center), it would take 40 hours, and thats if you didn't have to fuel up. It's insane.

This generation has been so slow to start that I'm merely cautiously optimistic about what this year will bring. Only a handful of games like The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, and Splatoon truly feel like something that couldn't be accomplished last generation. Compare this to last generation where we already had the likes of Bioshock, Gears of War, Super Mario Galaxy, Assassin's Creed, The Orange Box, Grand Theft Auto IV, Metal Gear Solid IV, and more this many years in. The 3DS had a strong 2013, the Wii U a strong 2014, and the PS4 is fantastic for people who never owned a PS3, but almost everything about this generation feels like a stop gap before the next big jump in console hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom