• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2 Crazy Happy Mask Salesman Theories

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
I think the HMS can travel to other dimensions across time. if you think about it it kind of makes sense. He is nowhere in Link`s "adulthood" in Oot yet in the credits, he was at that party thing. I think that he was in Termina helping Link in MM at that time which is in Link`s future/past. Confused yet? That, or he is from Termina and decides to watch Link to make sure Link defeats ganondorf so link will go to Termina and save it. Either way it supports my theory. Now onto more shaky ground, I think that he might have got these powers from the oracles so he could help Link which, indirectly helps them. It makes sense (sort of.) if you think about it. Nayru deals with time (ages), Din deals with space(seasons alter your surroundings), and Farore deals with secrets(which I admit is lame.) This theory explains, why he, knows a lot, got to Termina/Hyrule, and how he traveled through time to do it. also, in Oot no one besides Link, Zelda, and Malon age in 7 years. Is Everyone in hyrule like a kokiri?

Last edited:

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I don't really think most of this is true. The HMS probably was just hiding somewhere in Kakariko Villiage like the other townsfolk. And the parts with him watching Link to make sure he defeats Ganondorf and the thought he gets his "powers" from the Oracles seems unreal to me. There is absolutely no supporting evidence for any of these ideas.

He sin't in Link's Adult hood because before he defeated Ganon in Oot, the HMS was in Termina most likely dead because Link hasn't gone to Termina yet.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
One theory I've come up with just yesterday, and I'm not even taking this with a grain of salt, is that the HMS in Termina is that realm's duplicate of Hyrule's HMS, like how a lot of the other NPCs from OoT's Hyrule have duplicates in Termina. As to how he is so knowledgeable about Link and the Skull Kid, I can't say for sure. It's possible that he found out about the whole 3 day thing through some historical text from the ancient tribe that only he knows about. Both of OP's theories have some merit as well, I can believe both of those.

Fig

The Altruist
I'm kind of confused with what this has to deal with. Is it focus on how the HMS was able to time-space travel or to talk about how HMS was kind of waiting for Link to enter Termina to help him out as the writer of this theory wrote it?

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
I even said it in the title that it was just a couple of crazy theories that just popped into my head. I know they are insane

Happy Mask Salesman is a treasure hunter, speciality; magic masks. To be honest, we dont know what kind of strange masks he has. They could possess all kinds of strange abilities. Sure, he's around in OoA/OoS, but he doesnt appear to have any connection to any of the Oracles. His powers must surely come from his Masks? He knows alot, because he has traveled everywhere. And he might, in fact, have been searching for Termina because he heard about it.

He found the portal in the Lost Woods with the aid of his masks, the Skull Kid had already found the portal at that point and been there.
As the skull kid has loved Masks even since he got his first one from Link in Lost Woods he decided to attack the Mask Salesman, he stole a whooole bunch of masks from him which got spread out across termina.

And i think that by the time that Link got to Termina, HMS had been there for a while. Which should indicate that HMS closed his shop in Hyrule about the same time that Link told the castle about Ganondorfs plans.

You-Know-Who

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
In hiding... waiting to kill Harry Potter....
Let me explain: HMS is the Fierce Deity in human form, meaning he is the moon god and majora is the sun goddess. The evil sun deity was trapped in a mask by the ancient Tribe and HMS took it along with him in his human form, disguising himself as a mask dealer. He traveled the world living a human (but inmortal) life, selling masks to people. When Ganondorf took over, he disappeared to Termina, and the skull kid was stuck in Hyrule by the evil forces, meaning he didnt steal the mask and never destroyed Termina. Now, when Link goes back in time, HMS noticed there was something wrong with the universe, so he set out to Termina, where he was robbed by the SkullKid. Majora "infected" the moon and brought it down. HMS couldn't transform into the Fierce Deity because his power was in the moon, which was taken over, so he asked a mortal hero, Link, to save them all (in greek mythology, gods tend to be *****es and let the humans do all the work). He gave Link the godly power to transform and disguise himself with masks using a mixture of his and Hylia's power (time). When Link went to fight Majora at the moon, he saw children that looked A LOT like HMS, but they had evil masks on, meaning they were controlled by Majora. After he "saves" the moon children the final one gives Link the Fierce Deity mask, so he could use HMS's power. In the end, when Link saves the world, HMS disappears because the evil spirit of Majora has been destroyed (or sealed) and he didn't have any other purpose in the human world.

The End.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Let me explain: HMS is the Fierce Deity in human form, meaning he is the moon god and majora is the sun goddess. The evil sun deity was trapped in a mask by the ancient Tribe and HMS took it along with him in his human form, disguising himself as a mask dealer. He traveled the world living a human (but inmortal) life, selling masks to people. When Ganondorf took over, he disappeared to Termina, and the skull kid was stuck in Hyrule by the evil forces, meaning he didnt steal the mask and never destroyed Termina. Now, when Link goes back in time, HMS noticed there was something wrong with the universe, so he set out to Termina, where he was robbed by the SkullKid. Majora "infected" the moon and brought it down. HMS couldn't transform into the Fierce Deity because his power was in the moon, which was taken over, so he asked a mortal hero, Link, to save them all (in greek mythology, gods tend to be *****es and let the humans do all the work). He gave Link the godly power to transform and disguise himself with masks using a mixture of his and Hylia's power (time). When Link went to fight Majora at the moon, he saw children that looked A LOT like HMS, but they had evil masks on, meaning they were controlled by Majora. After he "saves" the moon children the final one gives Link the Fierce Deity mask, so he could use HMS's power. In the end, when Link saves the world, HMS disappears because the evil spirit of Majora has been destroyed (or sealed) and he didn't have any other purpose in the human world.

The End.
Sounds great, but what makes you think the Fierce Deity Mask or the moon have anything to do with the HMS?

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!

The End.

I think this is an awesome theory, and a much better one than anything I could come up with.

After he "saves" the moon children the final one gives Link the Fierce Deity mask, so he could use HMS's power.

So his power is sealed in the mask according to your theory? If his powers where sealed away he wouldnt have them himself if im not misstaken? And how come Link are given the Mask by none other than Majora itself. The only reasonable explanation to that, if you were to follow your theory would be that HMS got robbed from his powers by Majora, and then, after that, HMS got the hold of Majoras Mask, with all of Majoras powers sealed inside. Which sounds really unlikely. Since Majora must have defeated HMS first to get his mask

Are there any hints that point out that HMS would have any kind of connection to Fierce Deity whatsoever exept from there being HMS-like children in the moon? (if that counts for a hint at all)

Last edited:

You-Know-Who

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
Well, Jo-Onis, HMS becomes human to watch over the mask, so he leaves most of his godly powers on the moon. When SkullKid/Majora takes over the moon, the 5 "parts" of the Moon God are controlled by Majora, but when Link comes and helps the first 4 moon children, the last one gains a bit of consiousness and uses it to give Link the god's powers in the form of a mask so he could stop the evil inside him. I hope this clarifies.

Sounds great, but what makes you think the Fierce Deity Mask or the moon have anything to do with the HMS?

Well, either that or he's a ghost.

Sure, he's around in OoA/OoS, but he doesnt appear to have any connection to any of the Oracles.

Wait... He appears in OoA/OoS? I need to get those games and review my theory......

Last edited:
I hope this clarifies.

Ah, yes, it makes much more sense now.
But you're implying that the moon is resisting Majora all the time, right? Would that mean that the Moon actually weakened Majora during the final battle? Just something i came to think of.

You-Know-Who

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
But you're implying that the moon is resisting Majora all the time, right? Would that mean that the Moon actually weakened Majora during the final battle? Just something i came to think of.

If it was resisting, it failed miserably. Notice that you only get the Fierce Deity mask after you get all the other masks and you play with the other children. By playing/giving them the mask, they are "saved" or "healed". The final one gets a bit of the effect and a part of him gives Link the mask. If you dont play, his "conciousness" is never regained and, in turn, you dont recieve his powers.

I think this is an awesome theory, and a much better one than anything I could come up with.

Thanks, I wanna get an IQ test, but I can't find the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
I've presumed he is infact the happy mask salesman from Hryule, simply because he has knowledge of Link and Skull Kid, know i dont believe HMS has any magical powers, only because that would be like saying Skull Kid is magical, it seems more likely he just stumlbed on the portal, same as skull kid, and the reason hes so mad when the Mask disaperes is not because he wishes for the safety of Termina but becuase he got mugged by a kid and has lost his prized mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom