• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official ZD Mario Maker Level Sharing Thread!

I finally got around to playing a few levels in this thread. I have yet to share any of my own levels online, but I hope I can get something up by the end of October.

@Lozjam
Your Lakitu level was pretty good, though if it was played the way you intended, it relied a bit too much on gaining temporary invincibility from getting hit to dodge around some of the very tough spots. It was a fun level, but it didn't have a very Mario vibe to it.

The Bowser's Castle level, on the other hand, is fantastic from what I've played thus far. I haven't quite had the chance to complete it yet, but I liked what I saw from both the top and bottom doors. The top path felt slightly better to me, because it rewarded tight jumps, but also allowed a safer approach to leaping across lava by slowly eliminating enemies in the way. The Bowser battle at the end was very interesting. I was going to be lazy and simply kill him with fireballs, but apparently that doesn't work in Super Mario Maker. I can see how I possibly need to jump on the homing bullet bill mounted on top of him to jump over, but I haven't been able to execute it quite yet. The bottom path felt pretty good as well; avoiding the cannon and bullet bill barrage while jumping from vine to vine gave a Super Mario Bros. 3 World 8 army theme to it with a twist of its own.

@the8thark

Thus far, I've only had the opportunity to play and beat your wall jumping level. It was slightly challenging, but it never felt unfair. I liked how you used coins to guide the players. It was a very smart way to introduce players to the basic concept required in the level before presenting the danger and ramping up the difficulty. The ending part got me a few times; right at the final jump, I slid off when crouching, and I was so mad at myself. What a clever mind game. I can see you've done a good job adhering to the Playtonic Games formula presented in your posts.

In addition to what you said in that post, I think this video does a good job explaining why there are so many poor levels in Super Mario Maker and what can be done to rectify this problem. Too many people focus on stuffing as many enemies and challenges into one level as possible. That is not good level design. As the quote from the level designer of Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns says, "Let the player know what's coming their way, so they can react on time." Also, "Make it easier to get the item than it is to keep the item, but always make it fair." A lot more levels need exploration, too. One of the reasons I enjoyed playing Lozjam's Boswer level was because it offered branching paths. Good levels are those that encourage players to revisit them and learn something new each time.

I have made a new Super Mario Maker level.

A Vine on a Sunny Day
1978-0000-00D8-E5EA

As the title suggest, this stage is all about a vine. It's not the hardest level ever. I had an idea a few days ago and yesterday and today I had the time to really make this idea a reality in game. Took me about 8 hours to make the stage off and on. Only because of the nature of the level I could not test parts of it, I had to test it all each time.

Also this stage is in the SMB3 theme. I can honestly say there was no choice in theme for this level. I'll explain why.
  • SMB1 - The themes here just looked bland and didn't really go with the stage I was making.
  • SMB3 - Worked well and is what I chose in the end.
  • SMW - Worked amazingly, better than SMB3 apart from one issue. The skeletons throw bones in this theme. The thrown bones broke part of the stage. I either had to remove that part of the stage or use a different theme. So I had to sacrifice and use another theme.
  • NSMB - All the enemies move at different speeds in this theme this broke the stage. Well not entirely, it just made the stage quite a bit harder. This added difficulty changed the level into something not as good as what the SMB 3 theme provided. Also the spikes are harder to see on the lighter backgrounds in this theme.
I have not seen or played a Super Mario Maker level like the one I have made. Not saying they don'rt exist, I've not played all million plus created levels. Just I've played quite a few and nothing like this has come up for me.

Hope you all like the stage. It is designed to be more fun than hard and to demonstrate the base idea I had for the level. Once you play the level you'll totally get the idea I had.

PS. I know I have not yet made a SMW level. That will be my next level, when I get around to it. I will make something that actually fits the SMW theme, as nothing I've made so far fits the SMW theme.

The ending part got me a few times; right at the final jump, I slid off when crouching, and I was so mad at myself. What a clever mind game.
When I made the stage at first, that issue came up a lot. I found it really hard not to slide off that final moving platform due to the momentun of the sliding while ducking, so I spent quite a while on that and came up with a compromise. Since you really can't stop sliding quick enough I made the final platform, the one right under the goal pole to be just high enough to stop you in your tracks. Then you can follow the coins there wall jump off the wall to the left of the note block to land right on top of the note block and get the 1UP from the flag pole.

@Lozjam

I played your Bowser's Castle again. I realised something with it. If you take the bottom path and reach baby bowser with the cape, you can get past him without using the P-Block. Just side hit the yellow blocks, the duck slide under the one you can't cape hit and jump to it. Then you can spin jump to break the couple below you and you're through. I am not sure if this is intended but it's possible.

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I finally finished playing, recording and editing @the8thark levels. The video will be in my signature.

My main takeaways from your levels are that they are very well designed. There were a few times that I didn't know what to do next, especially in the Wario Ware levels, but once I finally figured it out, I realize it wasn't your fault. It's actually the game's fault. You'll see when you see the video, but there is one room in each Wario Ware level that I just could not figure out. There was definitely some frustration involved.

But other than that, you have very good level design. I really enjoyed playing them.

I finally finished playing, recording and editing @the8thark levels. The video will be in my signature.

My main takeaways from your levels are that they are very well designed. There were a few times that I didn't know what to do next, especially in the Wario Ware levels, but once I finally figured it out, I realize it wasn't your fault. It's actually the game's fault. You'll see when you see the video, but there is one room in each Wario Ware level that I just could not figure out. There was definitely some frustration involved.

But other than that, you have very good level design. I really enjoyed playing them.
Thank you so much. I'll watch your video playing my levels soon today.
Also the WarioWare levels are designed without the playerknowing what to do in each room. That's not a flaw in the game, that's an intentional design purpose. To copy the actual Warioware games where you have 5-10 seconds to do a minigame and the game does not tell you how to do it, you just have to work it out fast and do it. Adding to the franticness on the minigames. The challenge there is not about not dying (as there's no death from spikes or enemies) it's about working it all out in the short time limit. I am aware this breaks the usual level design principles but that's the whle point of the WarioWare levels.

The other 3 levels I have made though, I tried to make it clear what you have to do in them.

You should try my 5th level just posted above all about a single vine. I think you'll like it too.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Thank you so much. I'll watch your video playing my levels soon today.
Also the WarioWare levels are designed without the playerknowing what to do in each room. That's not a flaw in the game, that's an intentional design purpose. To copy the actual Warioware games where you have 5-10 seconds to do a minigame and the game does not tell you how to do it, you just have to work it out fast and do it. Adding to the franticness on the minigames. The challenge there is not about not dying (as there's no death from spikes or enemies) it's about working it all out in the short time limit. I am aware this breaks the usual level design principles but that's the whle point of the WarioWare levels.

The other 3 levels I have made though, I tried to make it clear what you have to do in them.

No, maybe I did not convey my point clearly. It is not bad level design or game design. It's that (you'll see what I'm talking about) I didn't know how to perform the gameplay mechanic to progress through the level.

I tried running through the gaps in the first WW level, and I couldn't. I guess I did it "wrong", but it took me a while to figure out how to run across the gaps, even though running across gaps is a Mario gameplay staple.

So when I say it was the game's fault, I don't mean the game itself is poorly designed, it's that I thought I was performing an action, and I was performing the action, but I was not seeing the results I thought I should be seeing.

Like I said, you'll see what I'm talking about.

No, maybe I did not convey my point clearly. It is not bad level design or game design. It's that (you'll see what I'm talking about) I didn't know how to perform the gameplay mechanic to progress through the level.

I tried running through the gaps in the first WW level, and I couldn't. I guess I did it "wrong", but it took me a while to figure out how to run across the gaps, even though running across gaps is a Mario gameplay staple.

So when I say it was the game's fault, I don't mean the game itself is poorly designed, it's that I thought I was performing an action, and I was performing the action, but I was not seeing the results I thought I should be seeing.

Like I said, you'll see what I'm talking about.
I see. The trick is you get speed and jump over the first gap then use the momentum to run over all the rest. Works every time. For the 3rd lowest level in room #2 you have to jump before the gaps (ie hit your head on the blocks there) and run accross. I see what you mean totally. It's a tough room and the usual trick of running over gaps just doesn't work like it should because there's not enough space to get to speed. Jut with a little jump you're fine.

YtlwtWW.jpg

See the red X's there? What you do is start at the end of each level there jump where the red X's are. On the 3rd lowest level you're not jumping over a gap, you're jumping over blocks. You will hit your head on blocks but that's good. After you jump the gap on the first 2 levels and the block on the 3rd level keep running, don't stop. This gives you the momentum to get over the gaps. I am aware it's tough. It's a weird mechanic because how one thinks the room should be completed is not how it needs to be completed. A tough room I know but once worked out it's doable always. Maybe the room was a little too tough. Oh well, It's only hard till you work out the trick.

I never expected you to run under the trampolines in Room #5 though. That's not how I did the room. You worked out a way I hadn't thought of. Well done.

Sorry for there being 2x WarioWare Nanogames. I have not deleted the old version of it (I removed two nasty trampolines from it) but forgot to remove the old uploaded version of it). Sorry about that. It's all better now though.

Room #4 Nano games, you start on the pipe use that for momentum (not starting on the first spring as you kept trying) on the 3rd trampoline you jump up back on it so you have stopped moving and standing still in the 3rd spring. Then slowly and lowly jump to the other pipe. (In the other version of it I have two more trampolines on the other side of the exit pipe, I was told that's way to nasty and it was so I removed them). The other Nano games version had them. Lucky you chose the fixed up version of the game to play.

You did Go West much quicker than I thought. Well done. Thanks so much it was a great video. You did a great video and your feedback was great.

I would like your feedback on my new vine level if that's possible because I know you give excellent feedback and I think you'll enjoy it. (A video is not needed, but just a few words in the forums would be nice). A shame I made it too late for your video. But that's ok.

Lastly how do you record your Mario Maker footage? I'd like to record some but now sure how to do it.
Would a capture card like this get the job done? It seems to. But I think you'll know a good one to use. This one seems to have a delay in recording thuogh so no good for recording with voice as you're doing.
http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Captur...391546&sr=8-1&keywords=elgato+game+capture+hd

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
@the8thark I think the best part of seeing how people play your levels is to see the different ways they tackle the puzzles. Like how I did not beat the trampoline stage how you intended. I think that's such a cool aspect of Mario Maker.

I will definitely try out your new stage and tell you what I think!

As for the Elgato, that's exactly what I use. There is a delay, but the audio records to the actual on-screen action, not the delayed action on your computer. Which is good, because otherwise it would be weird for me to yell "Oh no!" 3 seconds before I actually die.

Here is my Super Mario Maker Collection. I am just sharing it with you so you all know what exists. (The Modern Mario amiibo I will get when it's released here). Also I do not have the UK badge that was released with UK pre-orders of the game. I might hunt around for it if I could be bothered. Apart from the LE version in the gam and the amiibo, I received all the rest for free from random people (or with the game as a pre-order bonus the magnet set).

First step - Tall advertising banner (coreflute)
Second step - 30th Aniversary of Super Mario poster
Third step - Retro Mario Amiibo, Super Mario Maker book, Super Mario Maker cube
Fourth step - Super Mario Maker advertising box, Limited Edition outer box, game box
Fifth step - Super Mario Maker magnet set
Sixth step - Wide advertising banner (coreflute)

rZkvDfI.jpg

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Alright guys, this time I did a video on a friend I know in person. I have to admit, his levels are not my favorite. I played a few of his levels, and I didn't want to do a video on them, because I didn't care for them, but he kept asking. I tried being as nice as I could.

His problems stem from him wanting to make "challenging levels." Those were his own words. He told me he didn't want to make levels someone could just pick up and beat. He wanted to challenge the way people play Mario levels. To be honest, I think he'd be better off making levels that are fun instead of trying to stump players. That's just me though.

But to be honest, I'd like some of you to try these levels and tell me (and him) what you think. Am I just really bad at Mario, and that's why I died so much? Seriously. If it's just me, please let him (and me) know.

To me, his levels have an inherent design flaw, and that's that they're artificially hard. They're not challenging, they're frustrating. The fact that most of his levels have a very low completion % is, in my opinion, the proof. But maybe I'm way off.

@Himura Kenshin good job on the second level. Doing a running jump to begin the level is challenging but rewarding once done. Now I went the top level route which I find rather easy to do. But timing the jumps was a good test of my jumping.

The first level I've seen a lot and to be honest, the level concept is not the funniest out there. Maybe have it be only part of the level and then have a different concept.

Can't wait to play more.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
@Himura Kenshin good job on the second level. Doing a running jump to begin the level is challenging but rewarding once done. Now I went the top level route which I find rather easy to do. But timing the jumps was a good test of my jumping.

The first level I've seen a lot and to be honest, the level concept is not the funniest out there. Maybe have it be only part of the level and then have a different concept.

Can't wait to play more.

I agree. The second level was very enjoyable. I also went up the top route, but I wasn't sure if there was a bottom or not. It just worked out that way.

I have a similar thing to your first level in my first level, but it wasn't the whole thing. It was just the very end to reach the flag. In fact, it's the only way to reach the top of the flag in that level. I died a lot in yours. I didn't hate it, and definitely isn't "unfair" or "unfun", but I prefer your second one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom