• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official ZD Mario Maker Level Sharing Thread!

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
@CrimsonCavalier
Your friends levels.... I must say are pretty mediocre, and poorly designed.
He puts no actual challenge in his levels, of which you just have to play each time and hope for the best.

He uses a lot of tactics that I used... But then that gets lost in his apparently random putting enemy placement. For example, I feel that I put off the use of invisible blocks way better in Big Boo's Mysterious Mansion than in Castle Conundrum. There are simply too many enemies to react to in , and that loses the purpose of level. It just makes it seems like an ugly, forgettable mess. There was no need to have so many enemies in conjunction in invisible blocks. People aren't losing to this level because they aren't good at the level, they are losing because of the level.

This is a common trend with all of his levels.

He should really check out my levels.... Like I said, there are a lot of similarities between his levels, and my levels.... But mine are objectively better designed and more fun because of it. Every time you died(Excluding Luigi's Castle) in my levels you knew why you died. It was you killing yourself instead of the levels killing you. That is good design.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
@CrimsonCavalier
Your friends levels.... I must say are pretty mediocre, and poorly designed.
He puts no actual challenge in his levels, of which you just have to play each time and hope for the best.

He uses a lot of tactics that I used... But then that gets lost in his apparently random putting enemy placement. For example, I feel that I put off the use of invisible blocks way better in Big Boo's Mysterious Mansion than in Castle Conundrum. There are simply too many enemies to react to in , and that loses the purpose of level. It just makes it seems like an ugly, forgettable mess. There was no need to have so many enemies in conjunction in invisible blocks. People aren't losing to this level because they aren't good at the level, they are losing because of the level.

This is a common trend with all of his levels.

He should really check out my levels.... Like I said, there are a lot of similarities between his levels, and my levels.... But mine are objectively better designed and more fun because of it. Every time you died(Excluding Luigi's Castle) in my levels you knew why you died. It was you killing yourself instead of the levels killing you. That is good design.

I agree completely. Something he said to me when making them was that he was tired of "easy" Mario levels. He said that he thought people didn't want easy levels, and that they wanted to be challenged. Otherwise, why not just go play the original Mario games. While I don't necessarily disagree with that, I think he went about it in the worst possible way.

I just don't find artificial difficulty fun. No one does. Enemies in blocks, hidden blocks that block your progress, doors or pipes that lead you to the beginning of the level ... such tricks are not fun.

I played a level the other day that was a troll level. The name implied it, and it was. There were mushrooms in pits that, if you retrieved, you were stuck because invisible blocks barred your way out. There was one mushroom that, if you got it, you couldn't progress any further because the path was only big enough for small Mario. There were invisible blocks over pits that caused death. There was a stack of red Bullet Bills, and there was a giant Bowser. It was practically the worst level I've ever played. That user made a level with every Deadly Sin you can commit in Mario Maker.

Here is a secret not many know about in Super Mario Maker. I will put it in spoiler tags for those who do not want to be spoiled. For everyone else . . . have you unlocked this yet?

WVW69iei56cC_D3D81

• Finish the 10 Mario challenge completely 7x in a row and you will be told you have unlocked the 4x Nintendo World Championship 2015 levels.
  • Access them in the sample levels area of the course bot. Finish the 4x NWC-2015 levels and you are awarded permanent access to the SKINNY MUSHROOM as shown in my screenshot.
  • The SKINNY MUSHROOM cures Mario of his obesity and allows him to jump higher

Here is a secret not many know about in Super Mario Maker. I will put it in spoiler tags for those who do not want to be spoiled. For everyone else . . . have you unlocked this yet?

WVW69iei56cC_D3D81

• Finish the 10 Mario challenge completely 7x in a row and you will be told you have unlocked the 4x Nintendo World Championship 2015 levels.
  • Access them in the sample levels area of the course bot. Finish the 4x NWC-2015 levels and you are awarded permanent access to the SKINNY MUSHROOM as shown in my screenshot.
  • The SKINNY MUSHROOM cures Mario of his obesity and allows him to jump higher

Yep. It looks more like anorexic mario... very scary..

Jump Maneuvering: BDC4-0000-00FC-DC45
Thwomp's Corridors: F351-0000-00FE-088A
Scattered Airship: FA00-0000-00FE-1059
Break Forward: B1C9-0000-00FE-265F
Hammer Hideout: 31F4-0000-0100-AA70
Forest Haven or Underground Hell: CE73-0000-0100-CFF4

Some of the reasoning I had when creating the levels:

Jump Maneuvering: The first half of the level is meant to introduce players to the idea of jumping off Koopa Troopas and avoiding Hammer Bros., cannons, and spikes with ample room to avoid them. The second half of the stage cranks the challenge up a notch by requiring players to make tight jumps and face tougher variants of the enemies encountered before. To reach the flag pole, players must make a risky jump on the top Koopa Troopa to reach the top or the bottom Koopa Troopa while navigating between placed spikes. The second power-up of the level is either a mushroom or flower, so players who are unable to make such precise jumps can take advantage of a few frames of invulnerability twice if they make it to the Sledge Bro unscathed.

Thwomp's Corridors: The level starts off by giving players some extra wiggle room to avoid the descending Thwomps. Players can then choose a top or bottom path to avoid a combination of Thwomps and Dry Bones. After this, the player must jump over a Sledge Bro to reach the second half of the stage. Players must now make two quick jumps to avoid the descending Thwomps and both the subsequent top and bottom paths are harder. After a trickier jump, players must avoid a Thwomp and Sledge Bro to win the level. Note: Top, top is easiest path combination. Bottom, bottom is hardest path combination.

Scattered Airship: There isn't much to say here except I wanted to replicate some of the feel of the World 8 Airship from Super Mario Bros. 3. This is a pretty basic medium pace side scrolling stage with quite a few Rocky Wrenches, Bullet Bills, and cannons.

Break Forward: The goal of this stage is to use bombs to break the block walls and progress forward. Originally, the level was a bit too tricky, so I added some mushrooms coming out of pipes to accompany the bombs. Thwomps are also used to break blocks at two intervals. The bombs also interact well with the Dry Bones scattered about, since they are one of the few ways to kill this usually invincible enemy. At the end, the bombs must be used to break the blocks around the axe in order to defeat Bowser.

Hammer Hideout: The level starts off by having players follow a trail of coins down to bop a Sledge Bro on the head. Players can then choose from two paths. The first involves players simply progressing forward and dodging some Hammer and Sledge Bros as well as Podoboos. The second path requires players to wait on some donut platforms to fall down on a Sledge Bro, then fall down again into a pipe. The pipe contains some Hammer Bros. standing on blocks. Hitting the P-Switch sends them to their fiery doom below. Mario can stand on some donut platforms or on top of the question mark blocks to avoid falling down. The exit pipe gives players another opportunity to bop a Sledge Bro on the head. After players have followed either path, a confrontation with two Hammer Bros. and a Sledge Bro awaits at the level's end.

Forest Haven or Underground Hell: Players can follow one of three paths to the finish line. The first simply involves a horizontal progression to the end of the level. Players are given sufficient power-ups to never make the challenge seem too hard. Players can jump on Wigglers travelling on set paths to reach the top of the goal. Hidden in one of the question mark blocks along this path is a trampoline. Players must use this trampoline to jump atop a green mushroom platform with a question mark block on top of it. Players must then jump atop a higher green mushroom platform. They must infer that there is an invisible question mark block at the same height as on the first green mushroom platform. Using the vine that springs up, players must jump across cloud platforms to reach the underground area. Upon entering, players are hit by Bullet Bill shooters if they are Super or Cape Mario to reduce them to regular Mario. The goal of this is to allow players only two hits before dying in this area (touching the flag pole turns players into Super Mario). The shooters only spout coins so as not to result in any unfair deaths. Players can then choose a top or bottom path to the finish line. Both paths involve tight jumps than involve munchers and jumping on Koopa Troopas and Wigglers. The last jump players make on both paths requires precision to enter through the one-way sign in the right direction. The exit pipe lands players on top of the goal pole.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom