• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Sexuality in Zelda

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Recently with the announcement of Cia in Hyrule Warriors, who is a very well endowed woman there have been complaints by certain individuals that she is over sexualized and sexuality has no place in Zelda games.

Sexuality has been present since OOT with the great faries, who have massive breasts and wear only vines to cover their parts. There is also Nabooru who implies something sexual towards link after he rescues her. In the original Link's Awakening, a certain mermaid character loses her bra, however it was changed to her necklace is the American version. In Twilight Princess there is Telma the busty barmaid and the flamboyant Falbi who is blatantly supposed to be a gay character.
Skyward Sword allows you to spy on your naked headmaster in the bath, and then there is Ghirahim, who wears revealing clothing and acts in a provocative and sensual manner towards link.

What I'm trying to say is that, there are those that say 'this or that has no place in Zelda', but Zelda is a game series full of diversity, it can include a variety of different themes, it's not like the entire game is just oversexualized and perverted because of the inclusion of just a few characters. There are a range of personalities and characteristics in real people so it can be the same in Zelda.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
As per, a female videogame character with exaggerated proportions is horrible and sexualised, and yet watch no one bat an eye-lid if they introduced a huge muscular male character wearing clothing that shows off said muscles.

People really need to lighten up. Boobs are great, try 'em before you knock 'em.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
As per, a female videogame character with exaggerated proportions is horrible and sexualised, and yet watch no one bat an eye-lid if they introduced a huge muscular male character wearing clothing that shows off said muscles.

People really need to lighten up. Boobs are great, try 'em before you knock 'em.

No one would bat an eye-lid if you introduced a huge muscular female character wearing clothing that shows off said muscles, either.

Apples and oranges.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
No one would bat an eye-lid if you introduced a huge muscular female character wearing clothing that shows off said muscles, either.

Apples and oranges.

No, because that is not a sexualized female. That is a masculinized female. A sexualized male looks big and muscular and wears clothes that show off those muscles. A sexualized female character wears revealing attire to emphasize her breasts and figure.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Zelda, has always, to a degree been sexist. No, not as sexist as serious offenders like GTA, Heavy Rain or Duke Nukem, but still.

There has generally been a lack of strong female characters, and the ones that have existed (like Midna and Tatl) were the exception and not the rule. It's kind of frustrating that kidnapping the princess is still the major plot line in the 20th century. This was a small little plot device started for an arcade game in 1979, and Mario adopted it as a staple in the series. Mario has always been an arcadey game that didn't take itself seriously, whereas Zelda, a story-driven series, still relies on this plot crutch. Even the Donkey Kong games are up to new things and not relying on kidnapping the girl anymore.

The introduction of sexist characters in Hyrule Warriors is a bit of a letdown, but it wouldn't be a stark contrast from how women were already treated in the series.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
You mentioned LA without saying anything about the naked hippo...which is more well known than the mermaid. I didn't know of the mermaid until now.

But anyway. Cia is fairly tame compared to some of the female characters in Soul Caliber...now THAT'S oversexualization.

Jamie

A sexualized male looks big and muscular and wears clothes that show off those muscles.

According to whom? And my real point is you can't compare muscular men to women with revealing clothes. They are two different things.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
According to whom? And my real point is you can't compare muscular men to women with revealing clothes. They are two different things.

According to the majority of women.
You can compare a very muscular man to a woman with very large breasts. If both are wearing revealing clothes then it shows a sexualized character.

But anyway. Cia is fairly tame compared to some of the female characters in Soul Caliber...now THAT'S oversexualization.

She is certainly not as big as Ivy, we will just have to wait and see if she jiggles or not. Even the moblins in SS did, so I imagine she might.

Jamie

According to the majority of women.
You can compare a very muscular man to a woman with very large breasts. If both are wearing revealing clothes then it shows a sexualized character.

You can't, because men and women are entirely different groups of people with different features and are viewed differently in society.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
And thus the double standard is showcased.

I wouldn't call that a double standard. What is considered sexy on average, differs between males & females. If a husband finds his wife sexy in her lingerie that shows off her breasts, butt & curves, I seriously doubt she'll want her husband to dress the same and then to find it sexy. That's why you can't really compare a buff girl with a buff man, it sends of different signals to the majority of people. Sure, some men might find a huge buff girl extremely sexy, but on average most will prefer the classic, boob & butt package.

With that said...

I have never cared if the developers make characters of a game as sexy as they can, even if goes beyond exaggeration some times. I can't see how it's unfair to either gender since I guess they both get "insulted" with sexual themes in games. The only unfair aspect I can see, Iridescence already mentioned, the lack of strong female characters. But no, I don't think fashion choice and body figure have anything to do with it.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
You guys are silly. What kind of person wants to buy a game without big jiggly boobies in it? Why do you think Soul Calibur sells? Why do you think people play League of Angels? BECAUSE BOOBS.

Nobody actually plays LoA...

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
She is certainly not as big as Ivy, we will just have to wait and see if she jiggles or not. Even the moblins in SS did, so I imagine she might.

A game is not a next-gen game without jiggle physics, as far as I'm concerned. The PS5 and Xbox Two and Wii U2 will hopefully have dedicated JPUs (Jiggle Processing Unit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom