• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Worst Zelda Game Since DS Games?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Lately it's blown up in popularity compared to what it had before, and it's constantly bombarded with praise that's mostly undeserved.

While I think it's the poorest of the 3D games, I fail to see how it's overrated when it is also the least popular and arguably one of the most hated Zelda games to the general public.

Ventus;630051For one said:
it featured Bokoblin out of the butt for you to train on.[/B]

That's the entire game.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
First off: DS games are great. Don't be mean. (You have a Byrne avatar, for goodness' sake! You can't think they're THAT terrible! XD)

Second: Those things did not demolish the gameplay of the Zelda franchise. They were merely additions, attempts to breathe new life into the game. It's rather strange that you're saying it demolished the gameplay, since they were simply designed to make the game more interesting. Did the Hidden Skills in Twilight Princess demolish Zelda, because they were new? Did the three day mechanic in Majora's Mask demolish the series? (OK, some people think it did, but whatever.) Did the switch to 3D ruin the franchise with Ocarina of Time?

The Stamina Meter (which I personally LOVED) and the shield gauge were simply unique ways to try and change up Zelda for once. Everyone's been complaining about how the games are starting to become repetitive, but the moment a game does something new, it's criticized for it. I don't exactly agree with the six heart thing, but at least there WERE hearts. Nothing substantial changed there. Six hearts didn't change the whole series.

But, yes, there are others. You're definitely not the only one who hates Skyward Sword. But doesn't "demolishing" the series seem a bit harsh? It wasn't the best, but it's far from the worst.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Did the Hidden Skills in Twilight Princess demolish Zelda, because they were new?
They certainly made an already easy game easier.

Did the three day mechanic in Majora's Mask demolish the series? (OK, some people think it did, but whatever.)
It was vastly different and put a bit too much stress on some players. I like the stress of the three day mechanic, though.

Did the switch to 3D ruin the franchise with Ocarina of Time?
Oh, you'll never see me complaining about this, but the three dimensions actually made things easier from there out. The hardest 3D Zelda, going from majority vote, is Majora's Mask due to its many intricate puzzles. But, combat has been certainly easier due to the lesser restrictions placed on three dimensional movement, and Skyward Sword is arguably the easiest Zelda combat wise...assuming players take it slow. The controls bork out if you don't play calmly.

The Stamina Meter (which I personally LOVED) and the shield gauge were simply unique ways to try and change up Zelda for once. Everyone's been complaining about how the games are starting to become repetitive, but the moment a game does something new, it's criticized for it.
The Stamina Meter wasn't at all unique, though. You always had "just enough" stamina to complete whatever task was at hand (except sometimes escaping from Guardians, lol), so the meter was really just placed in the game arbitrarily to make players think SS did something gracious for the series.

The Shield Meter, while I have my qualms, was really good in its existence but not its application. Shield bashing shouldn't give us I-frames at no cost.

I don't exactly agree with the six heart thing, but at least there WERE hearts. Nothing substantial changed there. Six hearts didn't change the whole series.
Still made things easier by putting a dike in the river that was exploration. :I

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Oh, you'll never see me complaining about this, but the three dimensions actually made things easier from there out. The hardest 3D Zelda, going from majority vote, is Majora's Mask due to its many intricate puzzles. But, combat has been certainly easier due to the lesser restrictions placed on three dimensional movement, and Skyward Sword is arguably the easiest Zelda combat wise...assuming players take it slow. The controls bork out if you don't play calmly.

You know, I find this an intriguing concept: that the 2D games' combat were inherently more difficult than the 3D games. Not too long ago I was playing through the original Zelda (shocking, I know!) and I found the combat to be incredibly easy and simple. Even the harder enemies in the game, those centaur things that shot out sword beams and dealt two hearts damage, were really easy to fight because they just wandered around aimlessly. My entire strategy consisted of running around stabbing things and avoiding missiles until they died, with no real thought needed to win. Even the later 2D games weren't incredibly difficult either, due to their limitations in movement the enemies tend to have easy patterns to deduce. The only 2D game I'd consider inherently harder than the 3D counterparts was Adventure of Link.

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
You know, I find this an intriguing concept: that the 2D games' combat were inherently more difficult than the 3D games. Not too long ago I was playing through the original Zelda (shocking, I know!) and I found the combat to be incredibly easy and simple. Even the harder enemies in the game, those centaur things that shot out sword beams and dealt two hearts damage, were really easy to fight because they just wandered around aimlessly. My entire strategy consisted of running around stabbing things and avoiding missiles until they died, with no real thought needed to win. Even the later 2D games weren't incredibly difficult either, due to their limitations in movement the enemies tend to have easy patterns to deduce. The only 2D game I'd consider inherently harder than the 3D counterparts was Adventure of Link.

Lol, right, just wander around aimlessely.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

I don't see how Skyward Sword has the easiest combat. It automatically requires more thought than in previous games due to precision swinging being a major part of the scheme. Enemies before rarely had any defense, meaning hitting them was practically a guarantee. The same can't be said for Skyward Sword.

The controls "borking out" by not playing "calmly" is also an intentional part of the design. It's to discourage players from waggling.

The Stamina Meter wasn't at all unique, though. You always had "just enough" stamina to complete whatever task was at hand (except sometimes escaping from Guardians, lol), so the meter was really just placed in the game arbitrarily to make players think SS did something gracious for the series.

So you would rather us have more than enough stamina or not enough? Because that would be broken design.

The Shield Meter, while I have my qualms, was really good in its existence but not its application. Shield bashing shouldn't give us I-frames at no cost.

What do you mean?

Still made things easier by putting a dike in the river that was exploration. :I

You mean like modern Zelda in general?

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
I don't see how Skyward Sword has the easiest combat. It automatically requires more thought than in previous games due to precision swinging being a major part of the scheme. Enemies before rarely had any defense, meaning hitting them was practically a guarantee. The same can't be said for Skyward Sword.

The controls "borking out" by not playing "calmly" is also an intentional part of the design. It's to discourage players from waggling.

So you would rather us have more than enough stamina or not enough? Because that would be broken design.

What do you mean?

Lots of quotes, Nice sig, and the SS controls are quiet dificult if your like me, left-handed.

SS isint a perfect game..but its not the worst, though i was disappointed in some aspects like the exploration

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links

Actually, it's not like other games where you would figure out when to attack the enemies weak points. I didn't need to figure out where either. Why? Because I'm controlling the enemy. They are my puppets and I can make them move their blade or stance however I want.

And yet the most common enemies (Bokoblins, Chus, and Keese) are easily defeated by waggling.

What do you mean?

The shield may have a meter...but it's also very overpowered. Using the shield grants you invincibility. The most appalling thing is that rather than using the obvious design (normal shield doesn't take any damage by bashing it does) they do the exact opposite and leave invincibility as the ONLY correct way to use the shield.

True.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Actually, it's not like other games where you would figure out when to attack the enemies weak points. I didn't need to figure out where either. Why? Because I'm controlling the enemy. They are my puppets and I can make them move their blade or stance however I want.

Which is called strategy, enemy depth, and advanced enemy AI, something not seen in past games.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

It actually wouldn't be broken design; in the case of more stamina, it gives the freedom of expression. In the case of less stamina, it forces us to sprint/climb/dothingsfaster only at key moments, not when it seems apparent to start sprinting. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom