• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Controls

Do you like Wii Motion Plus in SS?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
Then chalk that up to every adventure game in existence, because that's part of gaming. I don't see how anyone could say that's a flaw in gaming because of that.

Just because it is a current limitation doesn't mean that it is not something that should be improved on. If someone could design a fluid inventory system that doesn't pause the action and block a good part of the screen, even that would be a large step towards aiding immersion, as well as tweaking the combat system of Skyward Sword so that Link swings in the exact same direction that you aim the wiimote, rather than just choosing the closest pre-programmed diagonal of 8 to slash in.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
*ahem* Skyward Sword.

SS' inventory blocks a sizable amount of the screen. Doesn't pause the action, but definitely blocks a great deal of the screen. This doesn't need to be the case. I'm not complaining about the inventory, but for the sake of the argument at hand, there you go. /slightlyofftopic

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
*ahem* Skyward Sword.

I meant to type menu systems in general.. >.>; Derp. While the Skyward Sword weapon inventory system was a step in the right direction, the rest of the menus had a tendency to pause the gameplay and take up the entire screen.

Z

ZeldaMaster321

just stay in one spot and it easy to fix when its off

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
I didn't enjoy SS' motion controls as much as I had waited for them. First I was like: "ZOOOMG, can't wait to get my hands on that beautyyy~~ YEAH MOTION CONTROLS RULEEEEEE!!", and that, but once I actually got the game, I had been waiting for some seriously epic sword swinging, that would be totally realistic as well as with the bow, and yes, they were executed fairly well, but not as well as I had expected, so I was slightly disappointed.
In my opinion Zelda should just stick with the basic smash-the-button- controls. They feel more like Zelda, and are really comfortable to play with. If the motion controls aren't perfect with every last bit of them, I'm saying no thank you. I know I'm bit of a perfectionist, but that's just me.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
One thing that I really liked about TP was that the battles, especially once learning the majority of the hidden skills, felt very dynamic. You could roll around, jump over enemy heads, all sorts. Even without the skills movement felt very necessary to ensure the highest chance of success against even some simple enemies. The WM+ controls however seemed to bring movement to a standstill. Sure you can re-position yourself and pull off a few back flips. But more often that not I found myself remaining completely stationary as I faced off against a foe. It wasn't as flamboyant and showy as the TP battle system as a result of this and therefore felt a little underwhelming compared.

You moved around in TP's combat but not SS's? Odd, because it was the exact opposite with me. I barely had to budge in TP's combat, what with some of the enemies being capable of being brought down in two simple blows. SS's combat always had me thinking on my feet, especially in the miniboss and Ghirahim battles. To each his own, I suppose, but I'm having a hard time understanding why you felt you had to move around with TP's overly simplistic enemies.

Apart from that though I have no issues with the controls. I thought they were pulled off well for a first try. Here's hoping they perfect their use if WM+ is to be used in any future titles.

The controls already function without issues. There's not much of a reason to say they Wii MotionPlus wasn't perfected as a result. You're talking about the combat specifically. This is not to be confused with the controls themselves.

They worked well enough. Much better than Twilight Princess but I know that was a desperate port. It would have been nice if they had put a little more commands into the button control because i was so sick of flapping my arm for everything. (Especailly the flapping)

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
No. It was new, sure, but I don't think it is worth the frustration. The game was a constant battle against the controls for me. The biggest issue is having to constantly re-center the cursor. I mean like, every fifteen to twenty seconds. They weren't always accurate, not very intuitive, but hardly broken at least. They take some serious getting the hang of. To me, that isn't something in a games favor.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
They were okay to me, it's the first game so far where motion controls don't bother me so I can't complain.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Yeah, after Twilight Princess, it was time for something new. Twilight Princess was basically the peak of our old controls. It reached its full potential and the game was awesome because of that. But if Nintendo had just kept at it, there wouldn't be anymore growth. Skyward Sword is the start. Next we will have the "Wind Waker" that adds to these controls and makes them better. Then we will have the "Twilight Princess" that perfects them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom