• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Misspellings and mispronunciations that annoy you

I'm a native English speaker in a German country, so I've just tuned out all the mistakes they make. Two funny ones, though; they pronounce purchase like "purchAse", so the chase part is said like the word chase itself. I can't help but cringe at that. Another thing, they seem to not be able to hear the difference between V and W, so vegetables becomes wedgy-tables (XD), and Darth Vader becomes Darth Way-der. Something about Darth Wader seems to make him seem less threatening!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Definitely/defiantly. I've Grammar Gestapoed people for this one and they're like 'but spellcheck says defiantly is right'. Yes because defiantly is a word. IT JUST ISN'T THE RIGHT ONE.
You know, ever since you mentioned this I have noticed people using defiantly so often instead of definitely. I think of you every time and how I wish you had never pointed it out.

Muslim becomes Muzlim... I don't understand. It's spelled with an S for a reason. Why does this happen???

It's pronounced Muzlum.

Last edited:

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
one of my friends used to use your for you're and it really peed me off so I would be correcting her every time capitalising it.....

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
"Nintendo are..."
Though people will always point out that, when they look it up, grammar books say that either is fine, but it still sounds so wrong! Nintendo never talks about that way about itself, and news sites with quality writers never write like that. It just sounds really wrong.

"Nintendo are..."
Though people will always point out that, when they look it up, grammar books say that either is fine, but it still sounds so wrong! Nintendo never talks about that way about itself, and news sites with quality writers never write like that. It just sounds really wrong.
I've never seen that misspelling, tbh. Is it used often?

"Nintendo are..."
I think this is a culture thing. Best example is with sports. In the UK/football/etc. they always refer to the team in the plural, e.g. "Manchester United are playing well this match" whereas in the US the collective pronoun is used more, e.g., "Chicago is playing terribly"

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Lose/loose.

I don't care. If you are over the age of eight and you can't work this one out, you're just ****ing stupid. Do you know how many times a day I see this ****????? :ananger:
The clue is in the ****ing way you ****ing pronounce these ****ing words for **** sake. Go back to ****ing school you ****ing morons. This isn't even hard.

The word 'loose' has two O's. You know what that does? It softens the s sound. Simples. So when you hear the word loose you should be able to spell the word loose. You should not think ok I'm going to write 'the screw had come lose' and be happy with your life. No. Because I'd almost rather spelt the actual word 'lose' with a z because at least that is ****ing phonetic.

Grrrrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom