• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

stories in video games

I'm a gamer who plays games for the story. I care little about difficulty, graphics unless they're impeding my progress, (I've even suffered through bad gameplay to see a story which was connecting with me to see it through to the end).

But some stories in video games are disappointing. I've played games which I view negatively (even if they looked good and were fun to play) to an extent, because their stories were absolute garbage.

So, ZDers do you play games for their story above all else?

Do you want your video games to be story driven?

Which video games have had the best and worst stories for you?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I play for the stories first and foremost. Graphics and Gameplay are important to me too though. I am someone who also suffered through gameplay I didn't enjoy just to get the story and enjoy the graphics (FF13).

Yes I like my games to be story driven. As Zelda fans are the majority of users here if I said a Zelda game that played like Zelda with no story and that was just level based, would have absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever. I like to enjoy the journey with the fun gameplay but I am playing on to get the next bit of story at the end of the day.

Best stories have got to be Twilight Princess and Witcher 3.

Worst were probably so bad or minimal that I forgot them.

Feverish

Source of stink
I can play a fun game with a not-too-great story and enjoy it (fire emblem fates: conquest) but playing a game with an intricate and well written story makes it much better for me. The lore of the Elder Scrolls is a great example of that

I love story driven games but as I get older it's hard to really dive into the longer ones.

FF7 is still my favorite game largely because of its story (and the rest).

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
A good story is usually nice to have in a game, although not every game needs a story such as Tetris.

D

Deleted member 81859

Its like... the only reason I play video games?

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
No. I think a game with a good story is great. It's a good medium through which to tell a good tale, because of the immersion of being the character. However, I won't sit through a crap game (in terms of gameplay) just for a story. Gameplay is king. Gameplay is everything. Gameplay is what makes a game a game and not a movie.

A good story with good lore can make mediocre/average gameplay more tolerable/forgivable, but bad gameplay will ruin any game, regardless of story.

We'd have to be lying to ourselves if we said we play Zelda for the story, since the stories in the games have not been that good, with a few exceptions. Zelda is great because the gameplay is great. And when the gameplay is bad (Skyward Sword), the magic behind Zelda can't save it.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
lately as I got older,I feel more compelled to play games that have stories over ones that don't
however gameplay will still be the biggest factor, for instance, star fox assault was my first star fox game and I loved how that game had a narrative to follow,but I ended up preferring star fox 64 over it b/c its gameplay was just that good

Gameplay is my priority, however games where story and gameplay and intertwined elevates the experience ( Dark Souls, Legend of Zelda, Hyper Light Drifter, Braid, Sword and Sorcery, etc). There are many game stories i enjoy, the ones that stick with me the most are the ones i have to work to put the pieces together, or by simple exploration and world building through lore. I get bored of games who try to tell stories through thick narratives and lots of exposition, at least as a general rule.

For example i have been playing Hyper Light Drifter (essentially a sci fi LoZ game) and at this point im heading north through some up stairs where i end up on a cliff overlooking an ancient body. When i get closer the camera pans over that boy on the background and it shows me one of the titans that -judging by its decrepit body -should be remains of an ancient catastrophe that precedes my presence in that world. At that moment the music elevates and tells me that is an important scene, and important event built into the world and that i should take note of it. The game has many moments like these, and you start getting an overall feel of the story and your purpose in the land. Its not intrusive, it doesnt beat you over the head with it, it blends perfectly with your actions. Its sublime.

I captured a clip

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mihael Langley/video/20296864

Dan

Gameplay is priority for me too. Very rarely do video game stories compare to that of other mediums. I'm always rolling my eyes when game journalist praise a video game story to such a high degree, yes it's a work of art when compared to other video game stories but when compared to other mediums it's usually just passable.

I can play Mario Galaxy for hours and there's really no story to it other than a hormonal turtle wanting some Peach action.

Sometimes stories can detract the gameplay since there has to be reason as to why x y and z must be such, I couldn't care less, just toss me into a bizarre rainbow hallucinated boss battle.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I can appreciate story in video games and many of my favorite games and franchises have a story or universe that I enjoy greatly and continue to follow til this day. But a good story or any story in general isn't necessary for a game to be fun or even much of a selling point for me. If a game isn't fun to play then no story is worth suffering hours to experience.

So, ZDers do you play games for their story above all else?
No. I play games with a good story. I also play games with no story. Both can be fun.

Do you want your video games to be story driven?
Not always. Games can be fun being story driven and not being story driven. Both types of games can be really fun.

Which video games have had the best and worst stories for you?
Best:
Terranigma (SNES)
To The Moon (PC)

Worst:
Doom (PC) - Amazing game, but it does have a terrible non story. Man kills aliens. That's it, the entire story in 3 words. The fans, not ID called him Doom Guy.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Video games are games because they are, well... played. So gameplay should naturally be prioritized over story. Not to say video games can't tell stories on par with classic literature, but let's face it, game makers really really really suck hard at storytelling. I mean, the earliest games had simple premises as an excuse for doing whatever nonsensical abstract activities you're doing in a game (shooting aliens, saving princesses, etc.) just to provide some context.

But then there are the games where you effectively play the story. Visual novels and even games like Mass Effect which have some of the weakest gameplay and a strong narrative presence that is interactive. The Witcher pretty much consists solely of hack n' slash swordplay (and some lame horse ridding in the latter entry) and is predominately a vast interactive choose your own adventure.

Then you've got heavily narrative laden 'games' like Final Fantasy XIII which have horrendously poorly written linear plots and abysmal gameplay. These games primarily exist to resemble movies to make people and critics think that video games are on par with established media like cinema. These are the "Hollywood envy" products which tend to be void of creativity or expertise and are solely interested in the bottom line: $$$. Even games lauded for their strong linear stories like The Last of Us and Uncharted have minimal, if solid gameplay and just above average narratives and presentation. And even then their narrative premises are unoriginal (Zombies and Indiana Jones knockoffs).

Games should not be focused so heavily on story. They can be, but so many games I've played it is obvious that the director just wanted to make a movie and should have done that instead (I'm looking at you Kojima). Heck,as much as I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite I kept telling myself the game plays alright but the story would have been a lot better without all this shooting and trash can rummaging. Unsurprisingly the director Ken Livine quite to go make movies. I'd say he's found his calling.

Games can tell great stories entirely with gameplay. Elder Scrolls seem like some of the last true RPGs in that they have the decency to shut up to allow players to freaking play, yet mountains of lore exist for players who want to dive balls deep in all that narrative goodness. But it's up to players to ignore it if they want to. Still, the Elder Scrolls games tend to offer little in the way for players to affect the plot. Visual and environmental storytelling is a great way to convey story in an interactive medium. Riven is a remarkable example of this. Others would cite Dark Souls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom