• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

stories in video games

I like a game to have both fun gameplay and a good story. I'd say gameplay is generally the most important but a good story can help me want to keep playing a game that I'm not enjoying gameplay-wise. I don't like turn-based combat but I played the entirety of Persona 3 and 4 (which took over 100 hours each) because I loved the story and characters.

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
Stories and atmosphere in video games are a big part of why I love them. That's why I am disappointed by some recent games, such as the new Call of Duty games, that just do nothing but throw you in front of a bunch of enemies. However, I don't like it when the plot of a game is too hard to follow. It has to be in that Goldilocks zone ;)

Djinn

and Tonic
Honestly I think nearly every game post NES era should have some story element to them. It should really not be that hard to include something to form a narrative for the player to latch on to. It's an entertainment medium and I think that includes more than lights and sounds.

Only things that are simple tasks like 80's era arcade games or mobile games where your only goal is to shoot a ball at something or build a sandwich can forego the storyline and just have gameplay alone.

Reactions: Dio

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
I don't generally play games if they don't have a good story. If the story doesn't engage me, I get bored of the game rather easily and drop it.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I play games for the story, regardless of how bad it is. The game that had the best story to me was the .hack// quadrilogy from Infection to Quarantine. And the worst was sonic '06, if I wasn't lost I was super confused.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
say,what's .hack all about
It's a little hard to explain, basically your friend invites you to play an online game called "The World" shortly after going on your first adventure, your friend ends up in a coma, because he got data drained by a monster called Skeith, and your job is to save him. That is as much as I can say without spoiling too much. You can always watch an LP if you want to know more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom