• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

NX Discussion and Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...explaining_the_uniqueness_of_nx_admits_reggie
We Have To Do A Better Job Of Explaining The Uniqueness Of NX, Admits Reggie
Here is the funny part. The so called "2 screen mechanic" that Reggie listed, was never used coherently with any of the games he listed.

Splatoon used the Gamepad in the most limited sense, considering it's only use is a map. It did use gyro controls but it was completely optional.

Super Mario Maker did use the touch screen of the Gamepad, I will give it that. However, the whole 2 screen concept was never used. You can only use one screen or another.

Bayonetta 2 didn't use it.

The super Mario game? Which one? Oh right, both of these games did not use the Gamepad in any big capacity either.

Breath of the Wild made a point to NOT use the Gamepad, because without Miyamoto breathing down Aonuma's throat, Aonuma decided that the whole 2 screen mechanic just doesn't work.

So... Really. Yeah. The two screen mechanic didn't work very well at all. People liked the Wii U games because they were pretty good games, not because it had a 2 screen mechanic. It pains me that they do not see this in the future. Going forward, we something that is truly innovative instead of merely gimmicky. Nintendo needs to put out something that feels like it should have been in gaming all along. Something that changes the industry for all time.

The D-Pad did this
Shoulder Buttons did this
The analog stick did this.
Motion controls did this.
Touch screen controls did this.

The Wii U did not do this one bit. It failed to live up to its successors in having a lasting legacy on the industry and even society.

Report: Detatchable NX Controllers Support Motion Control and Force Feedback
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...rs-support-motion-control-and-force-feedback/
More rumours :)

Here is the funny part. The so called "2 screen mechanic" that Reggie listed, was never used coherently with any of the games he listed.
True but it did work quite well for a few games.
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Captain Toad
  • Affotdable Space Adventures
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
I pesonally think the best feature of the gamepad screen in the off TV gameplay. The second screen was not a bad thing. But it was just that, a second screen. It's not a both screens at the exact time like the 3DS is. That just doesn't work well on the WiiU. Even for games like Captain Toad and Affordable Space Adventures, you look at the game pad then the TV. Not both at the exact same time. Starfox Zero tried both at the exact came time and yeah mixed results at best.

The Wii U did not do this one bit. It failed to live up to its successors in having a lasting legacy on the industry and even society.
You are probably correct there but we will know this in the years and decades to come. Really though Nintendo's hardware has no real lasting legacy. It's the IPs and games that have the lasting legacy with Nintendo.

I don't have a rumour this time, but some NX discussion. I had a very interesting idea and I'll share with you all.
Nintendo have said they want to get the pro gamers and the mothers into the NX. This not me thinking, how can one console cater for the casuals and the hard gamers at the same time? The answer is that the NX very well could, just not at the exact same second. I'll explain.

There is rumours that part of the WiiU is a portable tablet device with two mini halves of a controller you can attack to the sides of the tablet to make it like a WiiU gamepad. With other rumours I have heard I am going out on a limb and saying the NX has 3 different control methods.
  1. The Gamepad. As in both controller halves are attached to both sides of the NX tablet so you can play it like the WiiU gamepad, with controlls on both sides of the screen.
  2. The Wiimote. Remove the control attachments from the NX touch screen and you have two separate half controllers not dissimilar in function to the Wiimote and nunchuck. They will not be tethered together but they will have a similar motion effect that the Wiimote had. Could also be used in other ways not just for motion control.
  3. The Gamecube controller. In point 2 here you have two separate haves of a controller you can use. What if you connect both controller halves without the NX touch screen in the middle? Then you have something resembling a more traditional style of controller.
Three different ways to play the NX using the same hardware. If the NX touchscreen has a stand, you could even use option 2 or 3 to play the NX totally off TV via the stood up touch screen if you so wished. Also I guess purely touchscreen games cound not use the two controller pieces at all. That would be a 4th way. But I have not seen many rumours for this 4th way. Everything I've seen, seems to make me feel Nintendo is pushing the 3 above methods is one way or another.

14095945_1260845267261341_271773764993209239_n.jpg

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Reggie said:
One of the things that we have to do better when we launch the NX—we have to do a better job communicating the positioning for the product. We have to do a better job helping people to understand its uniqueness and what that means for the game playing experience. And we have to do a better job from a software planning standpoint to have that continuous beat of great new games that are motivating more and more people to pick up the hardware and more and more people to pick up the software. Those are the critical lessons. And as I verbalize them, they're really traditional lessons within the industry. You have to make sure people understand the concept, you have to make sure you've got a great library of games, and when you do that, you tend to do well.

It's called advertising. It's called tell people what your product is. We barely saw any TV ads about any Wii U hardware or software. I barely see any online, either. Nintendo of America has done a piss poor job of advertising its product. If you want only people in-the-know to know about your product, then expect ~15 million sales every time. If you want people to know about your product and want it, advertise it. Nintendo need to advertise on TV and internet, but not just on Cartoon Network. They need to advertise on ESPN, on Fox during UFC fights, on NBC during Premier League games, on Discovery Channel during Shark Week, on Food Network during ... you get the picture.

It has nothing to do with "explaining the uniqueness", Reggie. It has everything to do with no one knowing what the hell the Wii U was or what games were on it.

Emily Rogers is a known fabricator of misinformation and lies. She can go to hell.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...s-like-its-on-track-for-a-delay/#4d9067c93070

Nintendo has been in the news a lot lately, between their continued connection to Pokémon GO, and now their new relationship with Apple, which is bringing Mario to iOS.

But they have not been in the news for something that fans have been waiting over a year for, giving out information about their next video game console, the Nintendo NX. Last year, Nintendo puzzled many by saying that they would not share any information about the console until 2016, yet it did not appear at E3 of this year, nor anywhere else.

Now, we’re nine months into 2016, and the only information we’ve gotten out of Nintendo officially is a release date, March 2017, something that is looking less and less likely every time this issue comes up.

We are now approaching a point where a March 2017 release just does not seem wise or likely. Assuming that the NX is released at the end of March, before Nintendo’s fiscal year ends, that’s just about six and a half months from today.

Now, many will say that other consoles have been announced and released within the same year, most recently the PS4 and Xbox One. But there are stark differences in the situations which makes the comparison flawed.

While the Xbox One was officially announced six months before release, the PlayStation 4 was announced nine months ahead of time. But both consoles had the benefit of not only their own heavily-promoted live events to debut, but also blowout E3 shows that really dove deep into each system, and blasted hype (or a lack thereof, in Microsoft’s case) throughout the world.

It’s widely speculated that Nintendo will debut the NX in one of its famous Directs, a video presentation, and a March release would mean there would be no huge gaming shows like E3 to further show of the unit live. Nintendo has already been confirmed to be skipping the Tokyo Games Show, which is about to start and might have been a reasonable place to debut the NX, so that means the entirety of the messaging for the NX will have to be conveyed through Directs between now and release, or at best, Nintendo possibly setting up their own independent live event.

And then there’s the matter of a March release historically. No home video game console since the Japanese release of the PS2 has debuted outside of the fall holiday window, including Nintendo’s own consoles. While Nintendo’s alleged goal is to get the NX out before their fiscal year ends, it seems more than a little likely that once upon a time, their goal was probably to get it out for holiday 2016 which also would have been inside the fiscal year. It seems probable that an internal delay prevented that, even if the March date was the first “official” date.

That’s another thing. This is what Nintendo does. They delay things. They delay games all the time, from the years-long pushback of Breath of the Wild, to most recently announcing that its mobile versions of Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing were being pushed to 2017. It’s Shigeru Miyamoto who has the famous quote about how “a delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is bad forever,” and that philosophy probably applies to hardware as well. But with the Wii U essentially dead at this point, it’s unclear Nintendo wants to wait longer than they have to in order to replace it, hence this fiscal year goal.

They may have bought themselves more time with investors, however. Pokémon GO made their stock soar, even if it came down a bit after many realized they were only getting a sliver of revenue from the game. And their stock jumped yet again when they revealed their mobile plans at Apple’s event. If investors are confident enough in their mobile-themed future, perhaps that buys them more leeway for a pending NX delay, out of the fiscal year. Super Mario Run, out this December, could theoretically be another GO-sized hit, but this time it would be Nintendo raking in the cash, rather than having it split between multiple companies.

Right now, simply nothing about a March 2017 release date for the NX makes sense. Unless the NX is announced within the next week or two, it seems almost predetermined that the date will be moved, something I guessed might happen from the moment I heard it announced. We simply know too little about the NX too close to an alleged release, and with no big shows on the horizon, a few Nintendo Directs and some YouTube trailers aren’t going to be enough to generate the sort of hype the console needs for a proper launch.

I’m actually fairly hopeful about the NX, but that’s only been going off rumors and leaks, given that Nintendo themselves hasn’t given out even a morsel of information about the console, despite promising to almost a year ago now. A portable console combining home and handheld divisions, paired with a renewed focus on mobile seems like a good path forward for them. But this rollout, or lack thereof, is starting to get downright strange, and this March 2017 release date either seems impossible, or like a very bad idea.

This is pure speculation. Zero hard info there saying there will be a delay. I personally do not think there will be a delay. Forbes just thinks a lack of info equals delay.

We will know if the NX is delayed if Nintendo says it is.

I personally disagree with Forbes but I guess time will tell.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Well... This practically confirms from the Pokemon company, that the NX is a hybrid....
mynintendonews.com/2016/09/20/pokemon-ceo-confirms-they-will-make-games-for-nintendo-nx/

Oh wow.
But having Pokemon on the big screen would be amazing ;)

Well... This practically confirms from the Pokemon company, that the NX is a hybrid....
mynintendonews.com/2016/09/20/pokemon-ceo-confirms-they-will-make-games-for-nintendo-nx/

Oh wow.
But having Pokemon on the big screen would be amazing ;)
I highlighted practically as that is not the same as actually. But it is the best rumour we have had to date on this specific point.
The article jsut says what we all already have been rumoured. That the NX is a portable that is good enough to look good when hooked up to a relevision screen. That is not technically a hybrid but most people will see it as a hybrid as that's what it'll be used as.

Also the television console Pokemon games have hit and missed at times. Pokemon Snap was great. Pokemon Colleseum sucked hard. NX pokemon games do not mean it'll be a portable style pokemon game. They could be something totally different.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I highlighted practically as that is not the same as actually. But it is the best rumour we have had to date on this specific point.
The article jsut says what we all already have been rumoured. That the NX is a portable that is good enough to look good when hooked up to a relevision screen. That is not technically a hybrid but most people will see it as a hybrid as that's what it'll be used as.

Also the television console Pokemon games have hit and missed at times. Pokemon Snap was great. Pokemon Colleseum sucked hard. NX pokemon games do not mean it'll be a portable style pokemon game. They could be something totally different.
Whoa whoa whoa buddy. Pokemon Colleseum and XD were amazing dude.

Also, there is a huge difference between getting a Pokemon company game, and a Pokemon game. All of the console installments of Pokemon were handled by third parties, not directly by the Pokemon Company. For example, Pokemon Colloseum was developed by Genius Sorority, not the Pokemon Company. The Pokemon Company directly saying that they will be putting a game on the system means that it will be a mainline Pokemon, or at least somewhat close to a mainline Pokemon game.

But yes. A handheld that looks as good as a console, and that can be hooked up to a TV is definitely a hybrid and exactly what has been rumored. That is very exciting though.

I hear it even chews your food for you. Just kidding but I love reading what is here. I haven't been investigating it enough just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom