• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild ZI Says Zelda U Will Drop Motion Controls!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Merc. Skyward Sword's Wii MotionPlus uses 8 cardinal directions and a forward thrust. There's no way you can tell me that can't translate to a clickable analog stick. That would be ridiculously simple programming.
Instead of bringing up the great points made by Cfrock and Merc would really like to see how a multiple control scheme would be beneficial...

Of course the same old regurgitated argument will be brought up "it pleases multiple fans". There is one problem though, you will have essentially two different games, the GamePad version and the Wii MotionPlus version. Now both may have their strengths and weaknesses, but I feel the GamePad is easily the superior, it's basically the main selling point for the Wii U, we, as consumers, are not buying this console to use an old control scheme, especially not simultaneously.

Having both control schemes is bad in my opinion, like I said before you will have two separate games really. One that uses the brand new and innovative controller, which could be revolutionary and the Wii MotionPlus version which will be a small upgrade on Skyward Sword, jeez way to move forward Nintendo and big props on pushing the notion of "dividing the fanbase". Now this is also a burden on Nintendo's behalf, they will have to cater it to both control schemes, they will be different, and the GamePad won't be able to do some movements that Wii MotionPlus can do and vice versa. For one this means more development -- equating to an increased wait and maybe impatience among the fanbase. However, like I said, both versions will play differently, meaning that each experience will have to differ from one another, to me this all just sounding incredibly ludicrous, why would they essentially create two different experiences, will it justify the time and costs? Is it really worth it? Fact of the matter is, that the GamePad is the future, why put it on a similar level to a past control scheme that caused controversy, surely Nintendo wouldn't be outright stupid and make this mistake.

Oh so how about we combine the two within one experience? Sounds amazing right? No. The GamePad is a large controller, it is actually quite comfortable, but combine this with the constant swapping to the Wiimote and Nunchuck and here you have one giant inconvenience. Not only would this be incredibly awkward but it disconnects from the experience for that brief moment. Well isn't this ironic -- having the GamePad as a controller was meant to stop this by having this portable hud/map/extra screen etc. Way to throw that niche out the window Nintendo. If Nintendo expect me to be one minute controlling Link by GamePad only to switch to Wiimote + Nunchuck, then simply why would I even play it, talk about a fiddly experience. I want convenience, the GamePad brings that.

To be honest I am not too bothered about missing out on the so called "strengths" of Wii MotionPlus, it may add extra ways to strike but from playing Skyward Sword I realised that this was nothing more than a glorified way at executing a simple button mash, it became repetitive and striking from a different angle isn't all its made out to be. The GamePad offers so much more in my opinion. You have the standard button/stick controls, and they a much more conveniently placed than on the Wiimote etc. In fact there are now several new buttons, allowing for slightly more options for whatever control the game wishes us to perform, how nice. We also have a touchscreen, maybe we could interact with certain puzzles via this, think ZombiU, maybe drawing notes, creating markers etcetera. Voice command could possibly be implemented if so wished. Also we have motion in the form of the Gyroscope. Actually my favorite thing about the motion controls in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword was the precise aiming and sheer control over certain items - allowing for better manipulation - which can lead to better more engaging puzzle designs and even an advance in combat.

Final point would actually be the main selling point of the controller; the extra screen. This gives us convenience, not having to pause to distract form the experience is great in my eyes. Quickly looking down to switch weapons, maybe looking at a more detailed map etc. Then we also have the possibility that this game could be played solely on the GamePad screen. In fact this is my favorite feature on the GamePad, and many others favorite too, it's really nice to have that experience played in a more convenient way (there's that word again). Having multiple control schemes would just throw away one of the best features on the GamePad, yet again props for that Nintendo.

All in all this whole idea of a multiple control scheme is not just timely, costly, inconvenient, it's also a step back -- the GamePad easily out matches Wii MotionPlus in most ways, if Nintendo didn't think this then why would they even release the Wii U? Why not just an upgraded HD Wii? I'm sorry but I think this idea is just plain awful and I would be really shocked if Nintendo were to go through with it.

Last edited:
I actually prefer motion controls because it feels so satisfying to beat up monsters by swinging the Wiimote, but it seems that most people don't like motion controls so hopefully Nintendo will just make another game where you just press buttons to fight.

I really liked the motion controls but I definitely think the next console Zelda should take advantage of the Wii U GamePad. I mean just look at all the things you can do with the GamePad. The GamePad has a touch screen, dual analog sticks, and four trigger buttons; all of which the WiiMote just doesn't have. Sure the WiiMote can do motion really well but I think for a more wholesome experience, especially on the Wii U, the GamePad needs to be used. The motion controls in Skyward Sword were awesome but I think it's time to move on from that and look at what this new generation of technology can bring to the table. If motion controls and the GamePad could be used together or the player could choose which one they wanted to use and the game worked the same seamlessly that would be all right, but the fact of the matter is that they just can't! They're very different pieces of technology that need to be treated as such.

Now obviously not all of the GamePad's features can be used. Things like the microphone and the camera would be just silly to put in a Zelda game but overall the GamePad's features outnumber the WiiMote's and it would be just as silly to not take full advantage of them. Why would Nintendo bring all this new technology to the table with the Wii U and not put it to use in what is one of their flagship series? It just doesn't make sense. Yeah the WiiMote is awesome but it's time to move forward. Using the WiiMote as a sword was really fun but when you consider all the things that could be done with the GamePad it seems sort of irrelevant. I just don't see the point in keeping the WiiMote around. And like I said if the GamePad and the WiiMote could be used together or alternatively then I would be all for it but they're just too different to use together without losing some of the great potential that the GamePad has.

Deeds

no text
It's amazing that ZI actually think this quote means something.
'they’re learning how to apply those controls in the Wii U version', this is the only outstanding sentence in what is said, and it means very little. Applying controls to the Wii U version obviously means catering and implementing the Gamepad, and has nothing to do with getting rid of Motion Controls. As the Wii U stands, it's still a motion control system, so applying controls to the Wii U could definitely mean Motion Controls...

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
the GamePad easily out matches Wii MotionPlus in most ways, if Nintendo didn't think this then why would they even release the Wii U? Why not just an upgraded HD Wii? I'm sorry but I think this idea is just plain awful and I would be really shocked if Nintendo were to go through with it.

1) "In many ways", sure, but not EVERY way. They both have their own unique features that give them their own edges, ultimately making them equal to each other.

2) Nintendo clearly doesn't think the GamePad is better than the Wii MotionPlus due to the fact that they're incorporating its use into every exclusive we've seen thus far. What's funny is that they're doing this alongside with the GamePad and Pro Controller, as I've pointed out before. Why would you be shocked if Nintendo went through with it when they're already doing it for their other games?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
1) "In many ways", sure, but not EVERY way. They both have their own unique features that give them their own edges, ultimately making them equal to each other.

2) Nintendo clearly doesn't think the GamePad is better than the Wii MotionPlus due to the fact that they're incorporating its use into every exclusive we've seen thus far

Motion Plus and the Gamepad are far from equal. I honestly don't know how you could even think this. Do you have eyes? Can you not see the physical difference between the two? One is a short rectangular stick. The other is a large flat tablet. Both of them use an accelerometer to detect motion but, as has been explained so many times I don't have enough fingers left to count anymore, the physical shape of these objects means the real application of that motion will be different. Again, the Wiimote is shaped aptly for use as as a sword; the Gamepad absolutely is not, being flat and wide instead of long and thin. So while the technology that enables Skyward Sword-esque combat is in both controllers it cannot be applied the same way in both of them. Do you see what I mean? The phrase "the same but different" springs to mind. They might have the same tech but the physical shape of them prevents them being used for the same actions, meaning that gameplay mechanics which relied upon the accelerometer - for example, sword fighting - would have to be handled differently by both controllers. It takes about ten seconds of playing the game to realise that Skyward Sword's entire combat system was designed around using the Wiimote as a sword and this simply would not be possible with the Gamepad because of its shape. To use both in the one game you would have to have two separate combat systems; one like what we saw in Skyward Sword for the Wiimote, and another more akin to the rest of the franchise for the Gamepad. This would take time and increase development costs as enemies, attacks, and special techniques would need to, essentially, be created twice. And all just to accomodate a control method that half the fanbase didn't like and doesn't want.

As well as that there is, once again, all of the things you leave out that the Gamepad has that the Wiimote doesn't. I'll save you the lists you love to ignore but tell me how exactly the Wiimote can replicate a touch screen? If you're thinking about things like how the Wiimote was used in Skyward Sword to draw symbols then yes it could. If you think about how the touch screen makes inventory management and access easier, faster, and more intuitive without cluttering up the HUD then no it can't. If you think about how the map can be constantly on display and notes can quickly and easily be jotted down with a stylus then no it can't. If you think about using the stylus to pluck strings on an instrument with precision, draw back the string on a bow, or draw the path of a bombchu then no it can't. Pointing the Wiimote cannot do as wide a range of actions as can be done with a stylus on a physical screen. And we really do have to keep it in mind that since the touch screen is a separate screen to the TV there are a whole range of advantages to be gained there, some of which I just mentioned, that the Wiimote absolutely cannot achieve even if it could replicate the physical action. So no, the Wiimote cannot replicate the touch screen. Perhaps a few token actions but not everything and not well.

Last time you dismissed features like the Gamepad microphone as negligable because Nintendo wouldn't use them. I found it funny because Spirit Tracks, a Zelda game developed by Nintendo, made frequent use of the microphone in the DS, primarily for the game's instrument the Spirit Flute. Nintendo also designed several mini-games on various DS Mario games that used the microphone, one of which had you blowing on it to keep Yoshi's in the air on balloons (or something). Nintendo, the people who you thought won't use the microphone, use the microphone in Wii U exclusive Nintendo Land on Donkey Kong's Crash Course. I'm not going to say that the microphone will definately be used in Zelda U but if anyone is going to put it to use it's Nintendo, so it's not so easily dismissed as negligable. The Wiimote has no way to replicate this. Blowing on the Wiimote will just cool it down. Shouting "Objection!" at it will just hurt its feelings. It won't produce an effect in-game. The microphone, which may well be used despite your dismissive misgivings, cannot be replicated by the Wiimote.

I think it's utterly foolish to claim that the Motion Plus and the Gamepad are equal because both of them have accelerometers. That view ignores the physical difference between the controllers and the implications of such, as well as features exclusive to the Gamepad that have no equivelant on the Wiimote. No one has ever said that both controllers couldn't be used but the people who disagree with you have been very clear and descriptive about why using both will provide no advantage of any kind since one scheme would have to be a stunted version of the other. Anything Nintendo do with the touch screen would be left out of the Wiimote 'version'. Anything they do with the microphone too. The ways in which gyro are used would be different between 'versions'. The way the second screen is used to create a unique experience (you may recall my descriptions of how the second screen is absolutely essential to the gameplay of ZombiU) would be totally absent from the Wiimote 'version'. It would be a stunted 'version' of a game and it's just not worth prolonging development and increasing costs to do that. The worst case scenario would be that the Gamepad isn't utilised to its fullest extent so as to more easily accomodate the Wiimote without too much difference. Which leads me onto your second point.

The games Nintendo is releasing which use both don't make any particularly innovative or even interestig use of the Gamepad. If they did they would not so easily be able to use both controllers. Again, ZombiU is the go to example here (I wish there were more games on Wii U) because the single-player game simply would not work without it. On the other hand, a game like Assassin's Creed III can easily work with both Gamepad and Pro Controller because the Gamepad's features are used so little. They don't use the camera or microphone, motion is left out entirely, and the touch screen is used only for inventory selections which are hot keyed to buttons anyway, and to display a map or cut-scenes as appropriate. That's it. The actual gameplay is in no way dependant on its features and it is for this reason and this reason alone that two controllers can be used equally in that game.

As I went over in my previous post the majority of Nintendo's first-party exclusives headed for Wii U (Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros. Wii U) are incredibly simplistic from a strictly control perspective. You only need a small number of buttons and a directional input in any of those games to make them work. A small number of buttons and a directional input are both found on the Wiimote and the Gamepad as thus both can be used without major disadvantage to one or the other. If the Gamepad's features were used more in these games then this would stop being the case. As it stands the only Gamepad specific function we know of in 3D World is to reveal hidden boxes. Wow. Notice how Mario games on the DS didn't use the touch screen for much either. It would just be making the game that bit more complex than it needed to be and so it wasn't used as the basis for the entire game like Zelda Phantom Hourglass was, or Zelda Spirit Tracks was.

If my oh-so subtle point wasn't made clear there I'll say it bluntly; Zelda is a lot more complex from a control perspective than Mario or Donkey Kong or anything else announced for Wii U. This is because, particularly recently, Nintendo love to incorporate their hardware features as much as possible in Zelda games particularly. Touch control in the DS games, microphone control in Spirit Tracks, motion control all over Skyward Sword, even Four Swords and The Wind Waker were in on the act with GBA connectivity. Why would Zelda U be any different, especially since we know that Nintendo are taking what they learn from The Wind Waker HD and using it for Zelda U? Zelda is simply not equatable to Mario or Smash Bros or Donkey Kong in this way and to draw that comparison time and time again does nothing to bolster your point. This is why it is disputed so often. Just because Nintendo make all of these games does not mean they are the same or work the same way.

The other point I want to address again is the one which people seem to think totally proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Motion Plus and Gamepad can be used in the same game with no penalty. I really wish Pikmin 3 didn't exist.

Pikmin 3 says hello. Multiple control schemes can be implemented together within the same game.

Shigeru Miyamoto himself said after Pikmin 3 was unveiled that they were unable to utilise the Gamepad as much as they would have liked to. If you're keeping score at home, this is precisely what the likes of Garo, Merc, and myself are saying is the problem with using both controllers in one game; using them both means one suffers in favour of the other. In this case Gamepad suffers (by Miyamoto's own admission) so the Wiimote can flourish. Or to say it another way, Pikmin 3 backs up the point you are trying to argue against. The Wiimote is the favoured control option here not because of Nintendo's devotion to the thing but because it was developed as a Wii exclusive for several years before being moved to the Wii U. After porting Pikmins 1 and 2 to Wii, Nintendo already had a control scheme that worked with the Wiimote and fans really liked so obviously they would keep it when making a new Pikmin game specifically for the Wii. But time marches on and the Wii U came along and Pikmin jumped platforms but it had been, what, three years between Pikmin 3 starting development and the Wii U being announced? Of course it kept the Wiimote, to ditch it and start anew would not only have meant creating a new control scheme but redesigning entire parts of a game already well under-development to make use of a vastly different controller. It's just good sense, not an indication of Nintendo's future plans for Zelda.

I really, really hope this makes it clear why people don't agree that multiple control schemes for Zelda U would be likely or even a good idea. I won't speak for anyone but myself here but it honestly seems that the case for is based on ignoring a lot of what the Gamepad does, what Nintendo have done with Zelda in the recent past, and making unfair comparisons to games of a vastly different nature. That just comes across as too weak of a foundation to me. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind because I don't really want more circular discussions. I'm just hoping this makes the other side more understandable.

Goodnight and God bless.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Motion Plus and the Gamepad are far from equal. I honestly don't know how you could even think this. Do you have eyes? Can you not see the physical difference between the two? One is a short rectangular stick. The other is a large flat tablet. Both of them use an accelerometer to detect motion but, as has been explained so many times I don't have enough fingers left to count anymore, the physical shape of these objects means the real application of that motion will be different.

Like I said, they each have their own unique advantages that give them their own edges over their other.

Again, the Wiimote is shaped aptly for use as as a sword; the Gamepad absolutely is not, being flat and wide instead of long and thin. So while the technology that enables Skyward Sword-esque combat is in both controllers it cannot be applied the same way in both of them. Do you see what I mean? The phrase "the same but different" springs to mind. They might have the same tech but the physical shape of them prevents them being used for the same actions, meaning that gameplay mechanics which relied upon the accelerometer - for example, sword fighting - would have to be handled differently by both controllers. It takes about ten seconds of playing the game to realise that Skyward Sword's entire combat system was designed around using the Wiimote as a sword and this simply would not be possible with the Gamepad because of its shape. To use both in the one game you would have to have two separate combat systems; one like what we saw in Skyward Sword for the Wiimote, and another more akin to the rest of the franchise for the Gamepad. This would take time and increase development costs as enemies, attacks, and special techniques would need to, essentially, be created twice.

This right here convinces me that you're either skimming through my arguments or only paying attention to bits and pieces of what I've had to say. I have said multiple times that the right analog stick would be used to control the sword, NOT the entire GamePad. What on earth could possibly compel me to think that using something as bulky as the GamePad to perform 1:1 motions would be a good idea? That would be, without question, one of the DUMBEST decisions any developer could possibly make. You think I don't know that? Why do you think I've never suggested it. Oh, wait, never mind, you're not AWARE that I've never suggested it because you don't read my arguments thoroughly. Instead, you focus on specific points to form an argument solely around them rather than the full enchilada so that you can appease your tunnel vision mentality. To quote what I said before:
JuicieJ said:
So what have we learned here today? Oh, yes, we've learned that when addressing topics brought up in the past, one should remember exactly what another has said in order to not call them out on something they never meant.

And all just to accomodate a control method that half the fanbase didn't like and doesn't want.

Ignoring the fact that you have no numbers to back up your statement of "half the fanbase", your statement hilariously enough aids my own concerning the Wii U's multiple controllers being used. Let's say it actually is half the fanbase that doesn't want the Wii MotionPlus. That still leaves a whole other half that WOULD like to see them return. Multiple control options would allow both crowds to be satisfied rather than the entirety of the fanbase being forced to use one specific method. Again, one of the main selling points of the Wii U is its ability to provide freedom of choice in how you wish to play your games on it. Ignoring that would be foolish and a wasted opportunity to satisfy everybody. Like I said before, you're using a tunnel vision mentality to form your arguments, and they'r full of holes as a result.

As well as that there is, once again, all of the things you leave out that the Gamepad has that the Wiimote doesn't. I'll save you the lists you love to ignore but tell me how exactly the Wiimote can replicate a touch screen? If you're thinking about things like how the Wiimote was used in Skyward Sword to draw symbols then yes it could. If you think about how the touch screen makes inventory management and access easier, faster, and more intuitive without cluttering up the HUD then no it can't.

You must have forgotten that inventory management in Skyward Sword was seamless due to the real-time wheels used for the main items and secondary items in the Adventure Pouch, and that the HUD could be decluttered by choosing the Pro option found in the pause menu. These points mean absolutely nothing as a result.

If you think about how the map can be constantly on display and notes can quickly and easily be jotted down with a stylus then no it can't.

The only times notes are needed to be jotted down is if there are puzzles that practically require it, which have only been seen in the DS games, showing that they aren't a necessity in the series. Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword also had vastly superior puzzles to the DS games despite not having any puzzles that required jotting down notes. This point also means nothing as a result.

If you think about using the stylus to pluck strings on an instrument with precision, draw back the string on a bow, or draw the path of a bombchu then no it can't.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, excuse me? Exactly how much are you not aware of in this discussion? The harp in Wii Music could be plucked with precision (which was the cause of my surprise that the Goddess's Harp in Skyward Sword didn't do the same). The nunchuk could be pulled back while holding the C-button in Skyward Sword to instantly charge a full-powered shot. How does that not translate to pulling back a string on a bow? And a bombchu's path wouldn't even need to be drawn were we given control of its path along the way like with the Beetle in Skyward Sword. Seriously, are you even thinking your points through?

Pointing the Wiimote cannot do as wide a range of actions as can be done with a stylus on a physical screen.

Except it can, as I just showed.

And we really do have to keep it in mind that since the touch screen is a separate screen to the TV there are a whole range of advantages to be gained there, some of which I just mentioned, that the Wiimote absolutely cannot achieve even if it could replicate the physical action. So no, the Wiimote cannot replicate the touch screen. Perhaps a few token actions but not everything and not well.

I fail to see anything involving the second screen that would matter besides off-TV play... which the Wii MotionPlus could still be used on, as shown by Pikmin 3. You could bring up the real-time inventory management on the second screen in ZombiU (which you actually did before), but that was strictly to aid in the sense of fear, something Zelda doesn't even remotely focus on. The only things I can really imagine the second screen being used for are the things you already mentioned (which pose no problems to the WM+) and sliding your fingers across the touch screen towards the TV to imitate throwing objects at things, which would also pose no problem to the WM+, since swinging motions can also be used to imitate throwing objects -- even more realistically so. Just another argument that poses no merit.

Last time you dismissed features like the Gamepad microphone as negligable because Nintendo wouldn't use them. I found it funny because Spirit Tracks, a Zelda game developed by Nintendo, made frequent use of the microphone in the DS, primarily for the game's instrument the Spirit Flute. Nintendo also designed several mini-games on various DS Mario games that used the microphone, one of which had you blowing on it to keep Yoshi's in the air on balloons (or something). Nintendo, the people who you thought won't use the microphone, use the microphone in Wii U exclusive Nintendo Land on Donkey Kong's Crash Course. I'm not going to say that the microphone will definately be used in Zelda U but if anyone is going to put it to use it's Nintendo, so it's not so easily dismissed as negligable. The Wiimote has no way to replicate this. Blowing on the Wiimote will just cool it down. Shouting "Objection!" at it will just hurt its feelings. It won't produce an effect in-game. The microphone, which may well be used despite your dismissive misgivings, cannot be replicated by the Wiimote.

"Dismissive misgivings", ha. That's rich coming from you.

Anyway, I ignored the microphone's use in other games because I didn't feel it necessary to bring it up. In every example you gave, it was used in very minor ways that wouldn't pose any immediate benefit to a 3D Zelda game. I assumed you could figure that out on your own. Silly me.

I think it's utterly foolish to claim that the Motion Plus and the Gamepad are equal because both of them have accelerometers. That view ignores the physical difference between the controllers and the implications of such, as well as features exclusive to the Gamepad that have no equivelant on the Wiimote. No one has ever said that both controllers couldn't be used but the people who disagree with you have been very clear and descriptive about why using both will provide no advantage of any kind since one scheme would have to be a stunted version of the other. Anything Nintendo do with the touch screen would be left out of the Wiimote 'version'. Anything they do with the microphone too. The ways in which gyro are used would be different between 'versions'. The way the second screen is used to create a unique experience (you may recall my descriptions of how the second screen is absolutely essential to the gameplay of ZombiU) would be totally absent from the Wiimote 'version'. It would be a stunted 'version' of a game and it's just not worth prolonging development and increasing costs to do that. The worst case scenario would be that the Gamepad isn't utilised to its fullest extent so as to more easily accomodate the Wiimote without too much difference. Which leads me onto your second point.

See all my above points as to why most of this is false and why none of it matters.

The games Nintendo is releasing which use both don't make any particularly innovative or even interestig use of the Gamepad.

Is that so? As Lex said, Pikmin 3 says "hello". The GamePad can be used to easily keep track of multiple captains through the overhead map. It can also be used to scroll over directly to them to see what's going on directly.

If they did they would not so easily be able to use both controllers. Again, ZombiU is the go to example here (I wish there were more games on Wii U) because the single-player game simply would not work without it. On the other hand, a game like Assassin's Creed III can easily work with both Gamepad and Pro Controller because the Gamepad's features are used so little. They don't use the camera or microphone, motion is left out entirely, and the touch screen is used only for inventory selections which are hot keyed to buttons anyway, and to display a map or cut-scenes as appropriate. That's it. The actual gameplay is in no way dependant on its features and it is for this reason and this reason alone that two controllers can be used equally in that game.

Assassin's Creed III actually allows for the gyroscope to be used to steer your ship during the naval combat portions, which will no doubt be carried over to Black Flag for general Caribbean Sea travel in addition to naval combat.

And, again, ZombiU's use of the GamePad is completely irrelevant to the Zelda series.

As I went over in my previous post the majority of Nintendo's first-party exclusives headed for Wii U (Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros. Wii U) are incredibly simplistic from a strictly control perspective. You only need a small number of buttons and a directional input in any of those games to make them work. A small number of buttons and a directional input are both found on the Wiimote and the Gamepad as thus both can be used without major disadvantage to one or the other. If the Gamepad's features were used more in these games then this would stop being the case. As it stands the only Gamepad specific function we know of in 3D World is to reveal hidden boxes. Wow. Notice how Mario games on the DS didn't use the touch screen for much either. It would just be making the game that bit more complex than it needed to be and so it wasn't used as the basis for the entire game like Zelda Phantom Hourglass was, or Zelda Spirit Tracks was.

The gyro controls on the GamePad can also be used for camera control (as well as the right stick), and the touch screen can freeze enemies in the exact position they're at, whether on the ground or in midair.

If my oh-so subtle point wasn't made clear there I'll say it bluntly; Zelda is a lot more complex from a control perspective than Mario or Donkey Kong or anything else announced for Wii U. This is because, particularly recently, Nintendo love to incorporate their hardware features as much as possible in Zelda games particularly. Touch control in the DS games, microphone control in Spirit Tracks, motion control all over Skyward Sword, even Four Swords and The Wind Waker were in on the act with GBA connectivity. Why would Zelda U be any different, especially since we know that Nintendo are taking what they learn from The Wind Waker HD and using it for Zelda U? Zelda is simply not equatable to Mario or Smash Bros or Donkey Kong in this way and to draw that comparison time and time again does nothing to bolster your point. This is why it is disputed so often. Just because Nintendo make all of these games does not mean they are the same or work the same way.

And what makes this a fact? You saying so? Zelda's controls aren't nearly as complex as you're making them out to be, and if they're any more complex than the other games you mentioned in the first place (which I highly doubt), it's by a very small margin. Anyone who plays Nintendo's franchises competitively could tell you that. Zelda's controls require simple directional inputs and a small amount of buttons, as well. Sure, items in the past have been set to multiple buttons, but these are merely used as hot keys. The items themselves require very simplistic inputs so that they're intuitive. Not quite sure how you could have missed that.

As far as The Wind Waker HD's controls being adapted to Zelda Wii U, this only further ensures me that Nintendo will use multiple control schemes in Zelda Wii U, as I said in my first post in this thread. TWW HD's controls aren't built from the ground up for the Wii U. They're being adapted from the original GameCube controls to suit the GamePad. The fact that they're using an ADAPTED control scheme as practice for Zelda Wii U, a game that Miyamoto himself said was almost shown off in their E3, indicates to me that they've spent the current development time designing the game with the Wii MotionPlus in mind and are now in the process of adding in the GamePad as another control option. Seriously, if they're using TWW HD, a game that started development WELL after Zelda Wii U's, as practice for the GamePad's use in a game that's capable of being shown off, surely they already had another control scheme they were already familiar with ready for use... and what better scheme than the one Aonuma, the head of Zelda, said he couldn't imagine leaving behind?

Hope all that sank in. Given how you've flat-out missed some of my arguments and can't even think your own through enough to make sure there aren't any holes, though, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Pikmin 3 says hello. Multiple control schemes can be implemented together within the same game.
I explained in my post on why that would be a bad idea...

JuicieJ said:
In many ways", sure, but not EVERY way. They both have their own unique features that give them their own edges, ultimately making them equal to each other.
The only advantage I see Motionplus having on the Wii U is the fact that it can emulate more precise movements that is only with games that need such movements, to be honest I don't see a lot of games using such motion -- the Gyro Scope is used for a lot more purposes. I fail to see how Wii Motionplus even compares to the versatility and efficiency of the Gamepad.

JuicieJ said:
Nintendo clearly doesn't think the GamePad is better than the Wii MotionPlus due to the fact that they're incorporating its use into every exclusive we've seen thus far. What's funny is that they're doing this*alongside with the GamePad and Pro Controller, as I've pointed out before. Why would you be shocked if Nintendo went through with it when they're already doing it for their other games?
Well simply because Wii Motionplus is more of a side control scheme. I've seen a lot of common opinions, reviews that agree with what I'm saying, basically you feel at a disadvantage when using the Wii MotionPlus in any given situation. It may be there for versatility, it's not really a disadvantage in some scenarios like Nintendo Land but you feel heavily inferior when you use Wii Motionplus as opposed to the GamePad.

See it's this kind of thing that I'm talking about, when you havw two options to play, not only will you have two, essentially, different games, but when using the Wii MotionPlus you will feel at a disadvantage. Sure the GamePad might not be able to swing a sword in a more precise direction, but it offers efficency and many other ways to interact with the game. Look at technology, from a person interested in the business world, like myself, an entrepreneur will look for innovation, efficiency, convenience etc. We all look for that kind of convenience and the Gamepad brings that, as why Nintendo were clever enough to come with the concept. The Wii wis from convenience, in fact having multiple control scheme defeats the advantage of the Gamepad altogether.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
With all the assets that Nintendo specifically designed the Wii U Gamepad with, there's no way they'll water it down in order to accommodate the weaknesses of the Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuk--which have already been addressed by justac00lguy and Cfrock. Even if they did use multiple control schemes, flicking the right analog stick would not be nearly as satisfying as flinging the Wii Remote or even mashing the B button. It would also sacrifice the luxury of free camera control, something that I sorely missed in Skyward Sword, where it wasn't even possible to implement--another example of one of the Wiichuk's disadvantages as a control scheme. While some may argue that camera control and 'satisfaction' while swinging the sword are petty reasons to only use the Gamepad, I can't see Nintendo not try to use all the Gamepad's assets to their fullest potential.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
With all the assets that Nintendo specifically designed the Wii U Gamepad with, there's no way they'll water it down in order to accommodate the weaknesses of the Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuk--which have already been addressed by justac00lguy and Cfrock.

"Weaknesses" which I debunked as being weaknesses in my response to Cfrock. Funny how people consistently overlook stuff like this.

Salem

SICK
Okay, I'm sure this debate is interesting and all, and there's very little I can add to do it justice, but I'll say this, I don't want two different control schemes for Zelda Wii U, they should either use the Wii motion Plus or use the gamepad, don't have both, even if just as an option.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'm not going to use the quotation because it will clutter the post up but this is in response to JJ's *second to* last.

All of the points you have argued are the same ones you always do. All of the points I argued are the same ones I always do. Maybe the issue isn't that I don't read your posts (I do, otherwise why would I respond to them?) it's that we, and this is just me throwing out a crazy idea here, don't agree about this topic in any way whatsoever. That might be why you think I ignore what you say. I don't, I do read it and I even take the time to think through it before I respond. But if you notice you accuse me of doing the things I accuse you of doing. The fact here is that we both just hold totally opposing views on this matter and that's all. I could go on about how Spirit Tracks using it's microphone to play the instrument central to the game's plot as well as having that fan thingy item designed to use it as well is more than a 'minor' inclusion. I could go on about how I used ZombiU as an example only of the kinds of effects the second screen can have on gameplay, never as a suggestion for what Zelda should use it for. I could go on about how a lot of things but I have already brought them up in the past so there's no point in doing it now.

What I would like to do at this point is give you a very simple and clear reason of why I do not think it is likely that Zelda U will use multiple control schemes. This bit isn't about whether it can be done or what the results of doing it would be so if you feel the need to respond with the same tired old points that you know I don't agree with then I would ask you to refrain. These are the main two reasons why I don't think it is likely that Zelda U will have multiple control schemes.

If we look at the likes of Super Mario 64 DS that game had two distinct control schemes at work: one which used just the buttons and one which used the stylus as a kind of analogue stick. These two options were made readily available to any and all players of that game and people were left free to choose which they prefered. When Zelda hit the DS this choice was absent. There was no option to control the game with buttons instead of the touch screen, you were forced to use the stylus. The game, and its sequel, were both designed around the use of a touch based interface, with items being designed to use the drawing capabilities of the DS (boomerang, bombchu) and the aesthetic being of relatively low walls and a high camera which gave a better view of an area that would, at times, be partially blocked by your own hand.

If we look at the likes of Super Smash Bros. Brawl that game offered the option between four distinct control schemes: Wiimote, Wiimote & Nunchuck, Classic Controller, and GameCube controller. Players were allowed to use any of the four controllers the console supported at their leisure. Mario Kart Wii did the same thing. When Zelda hit the Wii there was no such option. The player was given the Wiimote & Nunchuck and nothing else. The game was designed with the motion control offered by the Wiimote in mind, with puzzles, mini-games, and almost every enemy being designed to be interacted with using that motion based gameplay.

If we look at the likes of StarFox 64 3D that game allowed players to choose between controlling their Arwing with the circle pad or using the handheld's gyro control. While the gyro control may have been pretty unintuitive the option was there. Mario Kart 7 offers the same option of two control methods. When Zelda hit the 3DS there was no option for control other than to use the circle pad. While it is understandable that Ocarina of Time 3D doesn't allow this, A Link Between Worlds also does not allow for controlling Link via the touch screen like in the DS games. This is so that the touch can be used in a more conventional manner of managing the inventory and such like.

In a similar vein if we look at games like Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros. we see that the DS's unique features are put to very little use in both while they are put to extreme use in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. If we look at Brawl again, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Mario Kart Wii, or Donkey Kong Country Returns we see that the unique features of the Wii are put to very little use in all of them while they were put to extreme use in Skyward Sword. If we look at the likes of Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario 3D Land, or Fire Emblem: Awakening we see that the unique features of the 3DS are put to very little use in all of them while they were put to, far from extreme, but certainly meaningful use in Ocarina of Time 3D, in the sense that the touch based inventory, 3D visuals, gyro aiming, and extra item slots certainly enhanced the game tremendously.

My point here is that since Nintendo have been making the so called 'gimmick laden' consoles they have treated Zelda a bit differently than the rest of their first-party franchises. While most of their IPs don't do too much with the hardware features, Zelda tends to go 'all-in' and allow itself to be designed around those features. Look at the Wii for an example of what I mean; Mario Kart Wii's only use of motion is to allow you to tilt the controller to steer in just one of its four options and give a little shake to perform a stunt in two of them, while Zelda on the same console was molded almost entirely to the use of the one controller to provide a unique gameplay experience. On the DS, New Super Mario Bros. only used touch to select levels or use an item while both Zelda's used touch for everything to the point that the buttons only opened menus. The 3DS is taking a less full-on approach but even A Link Between Worlds is top-down to make the 3D visuals more of an integral feature (how successful this proves to be matters little, it's the reason for it which is important here).

Of course, there are a small number of exceptions - for example Star Fox Command which was controlled by touch alone - but there is a general trend of making the most of a given console's features in Zelda which just isn't there for most of the other first-party franchises. Why would Nintendo stop now? The Wii U is another 'gimmick laden' console and Nintendo's track record with Zelda leans towards them trying to make the most out of it, in whatever ways that turns out to be. They did it for the DS and the Wii, and to a lesser extent the 3DS (which is only somewhat different to the DS so it's possible they had satisfied themselves with touch-only control by then) so why not do it again on Wii U? This is part of why I don't find it likely that we will see multiple control schemes, regardless of how technically possible it would be.

The other part is that if using multiple controls schemes was something Nintendo wanted to do in a Zelda game then it just strikes me as being something they would have already done by now. They've had the chance, several times. Take Twilight Princess. The Wii supported GameCube controllers and they even had an entire control scheme that used them built and ready to go, but the Wii version only let you use the Wiimote & Nunchuck when it wouldn't have been a strecth to offer both. The DS games could have been developed to use either touch or buttons, the way Super Mario 64 DS did, but it didn't offer that choice and as a result we got two games which would not work without that specific hardware. By the time Skyward Sword was out there were several games which used multiple controls schemes on Wii but Skyward Sword only offered one. As a result the game could be focused around that one, allowing for enemies, puzzles, and even transport to be unique to the specific hardware. A Link Between Worlds could use the touch controls of the DS games since all of the same bits and pieces are there but that option is (as far as I'm aware) not available. Even The Wind Waker HD could have had the Skyward Sword controls added into it since the console supports them, or even the Pro Controller which is more akin to the original GameCube one, but, again, as far as I'm aware it's just the Gamepad being used, nothing else.

With so many opportunities to give Zelda multiple control schemes in the past and in the present being ignored I simply can't see there being any strong liklihood of it happening for Zelda U. While the trend is not a rule there are no real indications that the trend will be changing anytime soon. They could do it in Zelda U, but then again they could do it in The Wind Waker HD and in A Link Between Worlds as well. They could have done it in Skyward Sword and Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and even Twilight Princess, but they didn't. The most convincing reason I can find is that by using one scheme they could build the game to use it more fully, like in the DS games and Skyward Sword. I just think Nintendo will value having that opportunity again more than they will the chance to do something they have passed on time and time again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom