• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda's "Rogue One" Ideas

So, this is something I've wanted to talk about some time ago, especially when a podcast talked about it. Namely, the idea of spin-off titles set in the world of Zelda and being part of its continuity.
(Before anyone says Tingle games, those are never stated whether or not they're canon)
Do you think this is a good idea to have? Personally, I'm all for it. I like expanding a universe and showing the world where Link isn't around has some potential.

Last year, Shigeru Miyamoto revealed Nintendo had an interest in doing a title starring Sheik, though no gameplay ideas ever seem to be brought up. So, this is me coming up with one.

Sheik: A Tale of Legend

A Sheik spin-off would be an interesting way to explore Hyrule when Link isn't present. Personally, I envision Zelda having left Hyrule to go into training for combat. At first, she'd don traditional shiekah wargarb and just meet with Link as is, but the plot would go into why she looks the way she does as Sheik, namely the red eye, covering the other eye and the tan skin. The idea of the main character returning home is something Nintendo did with New Super Mario Bros U and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, though I never saw it working for Zelda since they're mostly centered in a world rather than linear progression of worlds like Mario. But the idea here is Zelda coming back to Hyrule after almost 7 years of hiding.

Gameplay wise, the game would probably fit how our heroine fought Hyrule Warriors, a hack-and-slash game only with jumping and taking advantage of her swiftness and speed.

As Sheik is coming home, she'd visit other countries along the way. She starts out in a small island country that the Shiekah use as a home away from home while making her way through different lands. Personally, I'd put 7 before Hyrule. Akin to games like Banjo-Kazooie, each of the countries have their own sort of theme. The island country would have a strong Japanese influence, a returning Holodrum is very heavily affected by the seasons, a returning Labrynna has much focus on the seas due to pirates and Zoras living with them, another country is home to the Anouki and is very much covered in ice and snow, and the rest not sure.

Finally, the villain. It can't be Ganondorf, since he's busy ruling Hyrule. Much like Darth Vader in Rogue One, he's only in scenes with the villain of the story. The villain of the game should be the opposite of Ganondorf's role. I see a villain who is more active, hunting Sheik down because he thinks Sheik knows where Zelda is and recruiting monsters and minor villains in the neighboring countries to capture and kill her. My own idea is that he's a mercenary who aided Ganondorf in his takeover of Hyrule, even potentially killing the king for him, yet feels he wasn't rewarded enough. Not satisfied with being someone else's muscle, he decides he wants to find away to replace his master. Unlike Ganondorf, we will actually be able to face him early a few times. Unlike Yuga or Ghirahim, they're battle you can't win. Instead, Sheik must survive long enough for a cutscene to begin and end the battle, allowing her to escape. He develops an unhealthy fixation on Sheik and, after learning she's Princess Zelda, decides instead of killing her he'd seek to convince her to give her hand in marriage, figuring that she could give him a chance to kill Ganondorf and claim the throne the old fashioned way. In the end, our heroine is forced to take his life, in the process getting an injury on her left eye, forcing her to cover it with her hair as it heals.

During the end credits, Sheik sees what's become of Hyrule before entering the temple of time just before Link finally awakens.

That's just the overall idea I have for the Sheik spin-off we could have gotten and might still get someday.

Any thoughts?

I'd also love to hear your ideas for a "Rogue One" story. Not necessarily about Sheik, it can even star Groose of all people.

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Good idea, but if it happens it better not be canon, or the fans will freak out
The whole idea is for it to be canon though.

I'm all for spin-off titles starring other characters that take place within the Legend of Zelda continuity. Sheik is definitely a character I can see working, but I would personally love a game that stars Tetra, from her early roots as the princess and explaining how she became a pirate. Canonical side stories are things I've wanted in Zelda for a long time. As long as they don't hold the "Legend of Zelda" title, and instead are independent games that simply take place within the same continuity (prime example, as you used, being Rogue One), it's a great idea! If they aren't called "The Legend of Zelda", since I feel like that title describes games starring Link, who does it hurt? Little side games like that to tie up loose ends are a great idea!

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
one spin off idea I had was a game based off the imprisoning war where you play as ganondorf on his journey to the sacred realm to seize the triforce,to better show off the events that lead to link to the past
then of course nintendo threw defective wrench into that backstory by linking it w/ ocarina of time w/ the 3rd timeline,so that idea is as good as dead

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom