• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Zelda's Darkest Moment

Zelda has gone to some pretty dark corners over its 25 years, but which is the darkest for you? Which story development or character action has been the darkest for you?

By 'darkest' i mean an element that you thought was a bit too much for Zelda, moments that pushed the boat out a little bit too much to an almost uncomfortable level.

have fun.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
The beginnings of both Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess frightened me to no end when I was younger...

Seeing the Skull Kid joke that he had supposedly murdered Epona and Link painfully transform into a wolf for the first time still make me jump in my seat. Things that scared me in childhood, still imbue me with fear now. I've always been uneasy around unnatural transformations ever since the first time I watched Pinocchio over ten years ago and saw the children turn into donkeys.

The Ritual and Resurrection of the Demon King Demise. After realizing that ritual was going on as Link fights Ghirahim, I felt genuine fear when I saw that the Imprisoned is going to absorb Zelda's soul. The mere presence of that monster getting near Zelda and the sheer agony from Zelda as her soul is being sucked into that gaping maw still haunts me whenever I remember that scene. Zelda's body is still fine, but the essence that makes her Zelda is inside of Demise, slowly being absorbed until there is nothing left to save. Whenever I enter in Demise's realm, I promise myself that I will never lose to Demise so that I can save Zelda's soul and give the Demon King a living hell.

Anything from Majoras Mask really, mainly the Romani situation, it's not hard to figure out what happened and that maybe just be the darkest thing I've ever seen on a nintendo system, but not just the abduction, her sister killing her is also pretty dark.

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
I think when Midna kills Zant with her hair is pretty dark.

Pretty much everything about the first time that tiny little sprite turns into a giant hair octopus.

Also, the incarnations of posessed Zelda (by Ganondorf in TP and Malladus in ST) are pretty dark imo.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Anju and Kafei's final embrace before the fall of the moon. It was just such a beautiful and dark moment. I truly wish stories in games could do more things like that. These days its the same stupid hero fighting the same stupid villain over and over in every mainstream (non-nintendo) game.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
There are definitely some darker moments in the likes of Twilight Princess and Majoras Mask but for me it would have to the scene were Link would drown in lava from TP. There was something unnerving about this as you watched Link suffer a great pain and you for the first time managed to some how react to the pain he was dealt, very unlike a Zelda game in my opinion that is why it stands out.

Misha

derp
I cringed when Chancellor Cole zapped Princess Zelda in TLoZ Spirit Tracks. I mean yeah it was a cartoon-y game but they killed Zelda, in a manner of speaking.

The Ritual and Resurrection of the Demon King Demise. After realizing that ritual was going on as Link fights Ghirahim, I felt genuine fear when I saw that the Imprisoned is going to absorb Zelda's soul. The mere presence of that monster getting near Zelda and the sheer agony from Zelda as her soul is being sucked into that gaping maw still haunts me whenever I remember that scene. Zelda's body is still fine, but the essence that makes her Zelda is inside of Demise, slowly being absorbed until there is nothing left to save. Whenever I enter in Demise's realm, I promise myself that I will never lose to Demise so that I can save Zelda's soul and give the Demon King a living hell.

I have to agree with this. I thought that it was just... I dont know... her screaming and it looked like she was in physical pain, I was really shocked. I quickly looked at the box and saw the E10+ rating and was like 'I am not letting my kids see this'. It was a great emotional scene however shocking it was.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
There are definitely some darker moments in the likes of Twilight Princess and Majoras Mask but for me it would have to the scene were Link would drown in lava from TP. There was something unnerving about this as you watched Link suffer a great pain and you for the first time managed to some how react to the pain he was dealt, very unlike a Zelda game in my opinion that is why it stands out.

Ooooh, yeeaaaah... That little death-scene stuck with me so much I wrote a horror fanfiction centered around it. It's also the only death I will *not* give Link on purpose. (I like examining the various intersting death-animations the games give him, so I sometimes Game Over on purpose). I dunked Link in the lava in TP by accident and was so horrified I made it the one thing I will *not* do to him, under any circumstances (not even when I'm researching fanart).

I think when Zant broke his own neck to sever his connection with Ganondorf (or whatever that vision was supposed to be about) was disturbing.

Link's "mask-face" in Majora's Mask. The first time I played that game, I had no idea you could skip that cutscene. Every time I'd change form, I'd have to watch Link scream and his eye go wide. He looks like he's in so much pain... body *and* soul. The statues from the Elegy of Emptiness are likewise creepy. They look like standing corpses. I'm pretty sure that was the idea. *Shudder.*

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
Well, the most darkest moment in Zelda is when the screen goes black. Now that's pretty dark. LOL.

The darkest moments are Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. Both stories are very dark. Evil is everywhere. And you don't know if Link will save the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom