• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda WiiU: Bring Back the Level Up System?

I don't know, i just feel like speaking my mind...

I think it'd be nice for Zelda WiiU to try and bring it back. If SS tried to bring back everything that split the room the last time those elements were seen (WW's sailing = SS's flying, for example) Why shouldn't Zelda WiiU continue the trend of bringing old elements back in the name of change. I'm aware that SS was a spiritual celebration/deformed amalgamation of most Zelda elements that had come before it, but the age old problem of difficulty (even with an added her mode) were still brought up in discussion and criticised heavily...

So, how about Zelda WiiU takes what is left, less sign posted routes of travel (as seen in LoZ) and a level up system (as seen in AoL) the level up system would force you to fight enemies (or not if you wanted a challenge later on) and SS already brought upgrading into the mix, how about receiving upgrades through leveling up?

In my mins AoL is still the only Zelda game which truly needs a remake but if the trend of retreading old elements continues what better to bring back than the level system. doing so won't hurt the HUD since the gamepad will take care of the stats...

What do we all think?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes, Zelda should branch into true RPG territory. Give us experience points for killing enemies, or do something different but still feature leveling up. I know for a fact that Zelda could do with leveling up in a 3D game; we have hidden skills, all that is left is requiring a certain level for them to be used or maybe just for them to be "super effective". This is an excuse for so many things that so many people hated. And beyond that, this basically makes grinding a good thing, not that it was ever required in a Zelda game (or a good thing at that).

I would love to see Nintendo make uses of EXP in a 3D Zelda game, and Wii U is that testing ground (imo).

willsfairysword

links assistant in combat
Meh I don't think they should because it would make heart pieces and containers useless and I love finding secret heart pieces and I didn't think leveling up was a good idea for the zelda series at all

Leveling up is definitely an attribute for Zelda to consider. It would take a lot of thought to implement properly (the leveling system in Super Paper Mario, for instance, felt a little tacked on to me), but it would give slaying monsters and enemies a bit more meaning than just getting them out of your hair. To really make the leveling system shine, some enemies would have to become real combat challenges, not just mild puzzles like they usually seem to be in recent 3D Zelda games. Link's Hidden Skills in Twilight Princess are a good example of how "leveling up" can turn Link into something broken and overpowered, but if the skill progression was balanced with enemies that basically mandated more-advanced approaches unless you had extreme skill, the difficulty could remain fairly high without being intrusive, and it would certainly help to revolutionize Zelda to an extent....

Either way, enemies should become a bigger, more-aggressive threat to make it feel like you're in a dangerous world, and leveling up to gain skills or just increase physical stats (especially magic meters and spells) would be an interesting thing to bring back. It would require a bit of thought and work, but it's nothing Nintendo can't handle.

I agree with willsfairysword, I like hunting for the stuff and gaining the items. To me thats what makes it a zelda game. don't get wrong I like levelling up games, I play skyrim and love it! but to me thats not what zelda is about.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I agree that Zelda needs to become more RPG like. A skill tree would certainly be an interesting addition as you could have a different game each time. Maybe have a Defense Tree that gives you added protection against certain elemental types or you take less damage, An Offense Tree with hidden skills and magic and what not, and hmmm...for a third....maybe stealth? Hell yeah bring stealth more into Zelda games.

Hopefully by implementing an experience system, Nintendo might actually decide to make some enemies pretty tough and almost impossible without the proper skills first. This would also be a great way to hide some heart pieces. Maybe have some guarded by optional overworld bosses and what not.

Also if there was an experience system like this, I would think that Nintendo might need to up the number of pieces of heart per heart container.

I'm not convinced. I mean, if it does happen, I wouldn't be too fussed (I'd still give the game a go), but I don't think it'd be a good thing. Right now, in Zelda games, you're rewarded for exploration, and that causes you to 'level up'. I think this system suits Zelda more than being rewarded for grinding/how long you've played.

I wouldn't mind seeing more branching upgrades though.

Fig

The Altruist
Personally, I would the Level up system again. Knowing what the Wii U is capable of, I believe Nintendo can bring it back and pull it off successfully. :D

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I think bringing back the Level Up system would be very interesting to see.This would give it more RPG elements which is always :yes: for me.

I agree that Zelda needs to become more RPG like. A skill tree would certainly be an interesting addition as you could have a different game each time. Maybe have a Defense Tree that gives you added protection against certain elemental types or you take less damage, An Offense Tree with hidden skills and magic and what not, and hmmm...for a third....maybe stealth? Hell yeah bring stealth more into Zelda games.

Hopefully by implementing an experience system, Nintendo might actually decide to make some enemies pretty tough and almost impossible without the proper skills first. This would also be a great way to hide some heart pieces. Maybe have some guarded by optional overworld bosses and what not.

Also if there was an experience system like this, I would think that Nintendo might need to up the number of pieces of heart per heart container.

I like that idea, actually. I've just started playing Xenoblade Chronicles, and I can already draw some comparisons to what you're saying. In Xenoblade Chronicles, there are enemies early on that roam the overworld and clearly spell death for you should you cross them (we're talking enemies that have you topped by about sixty levels). There are other scenarios (like enemy camps) that are just dangerous without the right arts/skills or a high-enough level. If Zelda did something like that, you could unlock skills as you thought you'd need them. Some enemies could be hard or impossible to beat without certain skills, so if you wanted to even the odds against one type of enemy before another, you'd have the option. It would increase replayability as you played the game again with a different skill progression, or by ignoring all the new skills for an insane challenge.

These enemies shouldn't dominate the game, but it'd be nice to have a few trudge the overworld going "Hey, don't touch me" and some others guarding special secrets. By unlocking one type of skill, you could clear enemies that guard shortcuts to other places; by unlocking a different one before the former skill, you could clear enemies that guard things like Pieces of Heart. Whatever you held as more important at the time would be easy to train yourself towards.

Zelda doesn't necessarily have to take the approach of "leveling up increases your stats, tee hee" or add numbers to everything, but it would be a nice change to the Zelda formula and could increase the sense of exploration greatly by having you revisit old areas with new abilities to see what you can find. Leveling up is not imperative to the series, but it could just work.

If they could mix leveling up with finding stuff (kinda like AoL) then that would be great. Remember, you still had to find Heart and Magic Containers in addition to leveling them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom