• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda U just feels like another open world game to me.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Last gen, it felt like every other game was a shooter. This gen, so many series' (like Uncharted, Need For Speed and so many more) are incorporating open world elements. Zelda did practically invent the overworld but right now Zelda U, from what I've seen, feels like just another contender in a wide open field.

With games like Far Cry 4 and such, the visuals are gorgeous, but I get adjusted to them after a week and get bored aimlessly wandering around. I'm not against open world, but having a massive world with pretty graphics, by itself, is not enough of a selling point for me.

Well, I for one have faith that they'll put a decent load of stuff in there for us to do.

Something that might be cool would be minibosses not confined to a main dungeon. Like maybe you find some secret grotto somewhere and it's larger than you think at first, with a few branching paths and eventually you end up in a little boss room with some special monster you have to fight. That might be cool.

I've got faith in Zelda u, if any game is going to differentiate itself from other open world games its Zelda U.

Zelda games are highly stylised and expertly designed. Zelda U isn't going to be like skyrim which was just an expanse of mostly flat ground with objects stapled to it. With Zelda U, already from the things we've seen, from a 40 second trailer no less, we've seen a lot more interesting things.

Zelda U's overworld may be with the 'in crowd' of open world games but i dont think its going to be anything like them, i think, i hope, Zelda U will deliver ad be mor than just an open world. We've seen very little of a huge overworld so I wont judge until i play it, but i dont think its going to be 'just another huge openworld game'.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
We haven't actually seen anything on the open world yet. We have hardy no info or footage of how the open world will work. I'll give my opinion once we do.

Pretty much this.

I agree with you OP that a recent trend in games has been "now open-world!!", but one open-world can be very different to another, and we don't know anything about Zelda U's bar the fact it's got one. There's even been a lot of conflicting comments and information given about it. So I feel like stuff this is may be a bit early.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well none of us have played it yet so we cant know for sure.

However I have no faith in Nintendo itself and very little faith in the Zelda series any more. In my humble opinion TP was the last outstanding Zelda game. Every other since has been pretty mediocre to say the least. And I am resigned to the fact that Zelda U will probably be just another mediocre Zelda.

Nindendo does not innovate any more and if they do, their new idea doesn't really take off or add anything to the experiences. Zelda U I think will be just another open world game and a disappointing one at that. I have been playing this absolute gem of an open world game called "The Witcher 3". It has a medieval setting like Zelda OOT and a lot of other Zelda games seem to go for settings that are medieval with steampunk elements. Its world is beautiful and rich, teaming with wildlife, detailed, packed with secrets, packed with content. Its also bigger than what any Wii U could handle.
How can Zelda U live up to such a title? Looking at the footage shown, Zelda U's world looks positively bland by comparison. If you haven't been Witchering, you just wont know what you have been missing and what a huge shadow it has cast over any open world game to follow and try to get into the light. It has raised the bar which in my eyes Zelda U needs to meet and exceed. And I'm just not sure it can.

We haven't actually seen anything on the open world yet. We have hardy no info or footage of how the open world will work. I'll give my opinion once we do.

This is the big one here.

We know absolutely nothing of the game aside from the graphics so far. We can guess, but we really have no information at all.

As for what we can guess, much of that is only game mechanics. We know that in Skyward Sword and the Wind Waker re-release, they've obviously been taking cues from other games. (Can finally move while aiming the bow. Yay!) We also know that Aonuma seemingly took some influence from Hyrule Warriors in regards to boss fights. We have two or three rumors surrounding what the game is going to be like as a whole, but nothing confirmed. We have one particular gaff by Aonuma regarding "not necessarily Link" in which he had to explain himself later. (This explains how quickly fans can take some new info and make it into something it is not.)

In the end, we wait and see.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Well none of us have played it yet so we cant know for sure.

However I have no faith in Nintendo itself and very little faith in the Zelda series any more. In my humble opinion TP was the last outstanding Zelda game. Every other since has been pretty mediocre to say the least. And I am resigned to the fact that Zelda U will probably be just another mediocre Zelda.
Alright.... So we are going to ignore ALBW, which many people claim is the best Zelda game since Wind Waker...... I get it if you aren't keen on SS(I personally thought it was amazing), but ALBW is pretty objectively good.
Nindendo does not innovate any more and if they do, their new idea doesn't really take off or add anything to the experiences.
splatoon.jpg

Enough said. Also, with the new Bow mechanics alone, and comprehensive horse AI, Zelda Wii U looks to be more than slightly innovative. We haven't even truly seen the game yet as well!
Zelda U I think will be just another open world game and a disappointing one at that. I have been playing this absolute gem of an open world game called "The Witcher 3". It has a medieval setting like Zelda OOT and a lot of other Zelda games seem to go for settings that are medieval with steampunk elements.
That is some broad statements and comparisons for a game that is already released, and a game that we have on seen 4 minutes and 42 seconds. Furthermore, Nintendo really doesn't want to classify Zelda Wii U as open world. They are merely taking the original LoZ, and expanding it to a gigantic 3D plane.
Its world is beautiful and rich, teaming with wildlife, detailed, packed with secrets, packed with content.
Everything we have seen so far as well, has made Zelda Wii U look that way. This is the Zelda series after all, and they are known for it's secrets.
Its also bigger than what any Wii U could handle.
This is a downright lie. Xenoblade X is at least twice as big as The Witcher 3.
Witcher 3 clocks in on a world of about 139 square kilometers. Xenoblade X clocks in at about 200 square kilometers, at the very least. But I would like to mention that size does not always equal greatness. I would very much prefer true Zelda Dungeons, secret quests, and that Zelda charm to just a big world. I am not saying that Witcher 3's world isn't impressive, but Zelda Wii U has the creative prowess in EAD3 to outmatch that.

How can Zelda U live up to such a title? Looking at the footage shown, Zelda U's world looks positively bland by comparison. If you haven't been Witchering, you just wont know what you have been missing and what a huge shadow it has cast over any open world game to follow and try to get into the light. It has raised the bar which in my eyes Zelda U needs to meet and exceed. And I'm just not sure it can.
Witcher-3.jpg

Ish6nntkdak3pdvq7i3v.jpg

Regarding on blandness, they seem pretty on par with each other. I want to explore every inch of both worlds. Though I have to say, Zelda Wii U is going to have a more timeless artstyle regardless. Not only that, but Aonuma confirms that the game looks even better than this. Though Zelda Wii U seems to have a better draw distance than Witcher 3 as well.
I think you are also comparing 2 totally different things as well. The Witcher, is more or less, an Open World Western RPG. Zelda Wii U, is an open World adventure game. Zelda is going to have the strengths of puzzles, exploration, secrets, and collecting. Witcher 3 has more of an emphasis on Combat, Lore, and player choice. They will both be as equally good, and I highly doubt the Witcher 3 could outshine Zelda in that way.
Overall however, you definitely can't say it either way as we barely know anything about Zelda Wii U. We need to wait until we get substantial information instead of yelling insults at a game before you even know what its called.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Alright.... So we are going to ignore ALBW, which many people claim is the best Zelda game since Wind Waker...... I get it if you aren't keen on SS(I personally thought it was amazing), but ALBW is pretty objectively good.

splatoon.jpg

Enough said. Also, with the new Bow mechanics alone, and comprehensive horse AI, Zelda Wii U looks to be more than slightly innovative. We haven't even truly seen the game yet as well!

That is some broad statements and comparisons for a game that is already released, and a game that we have on seen 4 minutes and 42 seconds. Furthermore, Nintendo really doesn't want to classify Zelda Wii U as open world. They are merely taking the original LoZ, and expanding it to a gigantic 3D plane.

Everything we have seen so far as well, has made Zelda Wii U look that way. This is the Zelda series after all, and they are known for it's secrets.

This is a downright lie. Xenoblade X is at least twice as big as The Witcher 3.
Witcher 3 clocks in on a world of about 139 square kilometers. Xenoblade X clocks in at about 200 square kilometers, at the very least. But I would like to mention that size does not always equal greatness. I would very much prefer true Zelda Dungeons, secret quests, and that Zelda charm to just a big world. I am not saying that Witcher 3's world isn't impressive, but Zelda Wii U has the creative prowess in EAD3 to outmatch that.

Witcher-3.jpg

Ish6nntkdak3pdvq7i3v.jpg

Regarding on blandness, they seem pretty on par with each other. I want to explore every inch of both worlds. Though I have to say, Zelda Wii U is going to have a more timeless artstyle regardless. Not only that, but Aonuma confirms that the game looks even better than this. Though Zelda Wii U seems to have a better draw distance than Witcher 3 as well.
I think you are also comparing 2 totally different things as well. The Witcher, is more or less, an Open World Western RPG. Zelda Wii U, is an open World adventure game. Zelda is going to have the strengths of puzzles, exploration, secrets, and collecting. Witcher 3 has more of an emphasis on Combat, Lore, and player choice. They will both be as equally good, and I highly doubt the Witcher 3 could outshine Zelda in that way.
Overall however, you definitely can't say it either way as we barely know anything about Zelda Wii U. We need to wait until we get substantial information instead of yelling insults at a game before you even know what its called.

Using Splatoon as an example does not help your case. It is a niche game which is pure multiplayer and has two modes. That is not something that will take off. No other companies will be emulating it down the line. No. Nintendos last innovation was motion controls back in 2006.

As for my broad statements on a game we have seen hardly any footage for. It goes for all new open world games as well.

Xenoblade is not a secret filled world though is it? It is mainly open plains with monsters. Zelda U wants to be seamless with no loading screens and a map the size of Witchers would not be able to be rendered all at once on the wii U.

The witcher image you posted looks miles better than the Zelda U one, my case still stands.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Using Splatoon as an example does not help your case. It is a niche game which is pure multiplayer and has two modes. That is not something that will take off. No other companies will be emulating it down the line. No. Nintendos last innovation was motion controls back in 2006.
Niche?! NICHE?!
That is a complete lie.
Splatoon is currently COMPLETELY sold out in Japan. Splatoon is a rabid success.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ch_in_japan_with_over_100000_amiibo_also_sold
The sales in Japan alone, a country where Console gaming is dead, speaks for themselves. Not only that, but it has topped charts in the UK as well. Currently, the only game that is selling better in UK, than Splatoon, is coincidentally enough, Witcher 3. Not only that, but Splatoon is extremely innovative with being the first shooter with Gyroscope controls, and in the concept of inking and the squids in general. To say that Splatoon is a flop, is just as ridiculous as saying that Witcher 3 is a flop.
As for my broad statements on a game we have seen hardly any footage for. It goes for all new open world games as well.
Zelda Wii U still isn't, like it or not, a Western open world game. The dynamic is completely different while developing a Japanese game like this.
Xenoblade is not a secret filled world though is it? It is mainly open plains with monsters. Zelda U wants to be seamless with no loading screens and a map the size of Witchers would not be able to be rendered all at once on the wii U.
Again, lies.
First off, Xenoblade is a seamless world. There are no loading screens besides at BLADE headquarters. It is also very much secret filled.
Unique Monsters, Secret Locations, Chests, LIFE, other races, NPC's, and Miranium outlets fill this gigantic world. It also isn't "Mostly open plains". There are caves, cliffs, mountains, ect.
The witcher image you posted looks miles better than the Zelda U one, my case still stands.
Try saying that in ten years. There was a time when "Twilight Princess looks miles better than Wind Waker", and here we are today... Wind Waker, even on the Gamecube, still looks graphically impressive and has aged well. Whilst the Wii U may not have the bells and whistles of XBONE and PS4, their graphical artstyles far outclass other developers. Not only that, but Zelda Wii U, is again confirmed by Aonuma to look better than that screenshot.
http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-zelda-wii-u-looks-even-better-than-before-update-at-e3-2015/

D

Deleted member 14134

I think part of the problem with the Zelda series is that many fan(boys) of the series will perceive anything Nintendo releases with the word Zelda on it as amazing. Nintendo probably doesn't receive enough enough honest feedback about their latest games and will probably keep going in that direction until they do (everyone seemed to hate TP but love SS for god knows what reason).

As for the open worldness we'll really have to wait and see, we've only seen about 10 minutes of actual footage. I don't think Nintendo is capable of reinventing the wheel anymore (even though their fans will tell them they are) but I think they can still make a solid Zelda game and recover after Skyward Sword.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Niche?! NICHE?!
That is a complete lie.
Splatoon is currently COMPLETELY sold out in Japan. Splatoon is a rabid success.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ch_in_japan_with_over_100000_amiibo_also_sold
The sales in Japan alone, a country where Console gaming is dead, speaks for themselves. Not only that, but it has topped charts in the UK as well. Currently, the only game that is selling better in UK, than Splatoon, is coincidentally enough, Witcher 3. Not only that, but Splatoon is extremely innovative with being the first shooter with Gyroscope controls, and in the concept of inking and the squids in general. To say that Splatoon is a flop, is just as ridiculous as saying that Witcher 3 is a flop.

Zelda Wii U still isn't, like it or not, a Western open world game. The dynamic is completely different while developing a Japanese game like this.

Again, lies.
First off, Xenoblade is a seamless world. There are no loading screens besides at BLADE headquarters. It is also very much secret filled.
Unique Monsters, Secret Locations, Chests, LIFE, other races, NPC's, and Miranium outlets fill this gigantic world. It also isn't "Mostly open plains". There are caves, cliffs, mountains, ect.

Try saying that in ten years. There was a time when "Twilight Princess looks miles better than Wind Waker", and here we are today... Wind Waker, even on the Gamecube, still looks graphically impressive and has aged well. Whilst the Wii U may not have the bells and whistles of XBONE and PS4, their graphical artstyles far outclass other developers. Not only that, but Zelda Wii U, is again confirmed by Aonuma to look better than that screenshot.
http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-zelda-wii-u-looks-even-better-than-before-update-at-e3-2015/

Pretty much anything on the wii u is a flop compared to last gen iterations. Mario Kart. Smash Bros. Super Mario Bros.
Their sales are pathetic in comparison to their wii counterparts. Splatoon may be selling well now but its final figures will be nothing compared to the Witcher 3. We will also see how it compares to super Mario brothers in a year. I doubt it will even come close.

In what world will the first picture of Witcher you posted look worse than the second of Zelda U. Are you blind? There is only so much further game graphics can get and if something does come along that makes the witcher even look bad it will make Zelda U look even worse.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I think part of the problem with the Zelda series is that many fan(boys) of the series will perceive anything Nintendo releases with the word Zelda on it as amazing. Nintendo probably doesn't receive enough enough honest feedback about their latest games and will probably keep going in that direction until they do (everyone seemed to hate TP but love SS for god knows what reason).
A Link Between Worlds was a direct answer to fan complaints about Skyward Sword, and especially with Zelda Wii U's new huge world was an answer to fan complaints.
Also, you contradict yourself. If fanboys of the series perceive anything Nintendo releases with the world Zelda on it as amazing, why do you state that many fans don't like TP?
There is a good reason for complaint on TP. It has graphically aged horribly, has a story with a ton of plotholes, is way too easy, and has huge empty world.
As for the open worldness we'll really have to wait and see, we've only seen about 10 minutes of actual footage. I don't think Nintendo is capable of reinventing the wheel anymore (even though their fans will tell them they are) but I think they can still make a solid Zelda game and recover after Skyward Sword.
This however, I more or less agree with. Though I am just saying, Zelda has largely "recovered" after ALBW.
Pretty much anything on the wii u is a flop compared to last gen iterations. Mario Kart. Smash Bros. Super Mario Bros.
Their sales are pathetic in comparison to their wii counterparts. Splatoon may be selling well now but its final figures will be nothing compared to the Witcher 3. We will also see how it compares to super Mario brothers in a year. I doubt it will even come close.
So are we comparing two totally different markets? Yes? We live in a different world now, and still, selling over 1 million copies is never considered Niche. Especially with the Wii U's market right now. Witcher 3 is a multiplat, of course it will sell a little bit better. Nintendo You still fail to see the fact that Splatoon is innovative, and that Nintendo has the mean to when necessary. But even then, Witcher 3 most likely will never outsell TP, OoT(or OoT3D).
In what world will the first picture of Witcher you posted look worse than the second of Zelda U. Are you blind? There is only so much further game graphics can get and if something does come along that makes the witcher even look bad it will make Zelda U look even worse.
A world where people like bright colors, shading, and a true form of escapism in their videogames. The artstyle used in Zelda Wii U is gorgeous, and you cannot deny that. It also looks more unique than any other game on the market. It will look even better in motion as well, as the environment itself provides a lush feel with the grass and trees swaying in the wind. But even more so, like I said. Zelda Wii U isn't even released, and we don't even know how it looks in its current format. So why are we even arguing this?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Just responding to this comment.
I think this is a poor way to view graphics. Fast forwarding to compare graphics isn't relevant whatsoever. It's relevant when looking back on games, but we're not ten years in the future are we? Games, when they're released, or nearing, are judged on the present or at least to past games for comparison.

It's not even a contest, graphically, the PS4 and Xbox One can outmatch the Wii U because their consoles are much more powerful. Nintendo games, considering this, tend to be more stylised. That's why Nintendo games age well. It's hard for a game to age well when they have realistic graphics because in the future there's going to be a much better console with much better visuals. However, that doesn't mean in the present that it's objectivity better as you were projecting.

I'm not bashing Nintendo, I love Nintendo's graphics and Zelda U looks stunning, but I wouldn't blindly say "Oh Nintendo games win by default because in ten years time they've aged well". Aging well is completely different to how impressive graphics are in the present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom