• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Movie

so I'm sure many of you remember the 2008 IGN April Fools Joke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBCzkz3gHb8

OK so what would you have in a Zelda movie? What plot elements, characters, etc. would be in there? I think if done right, it could be good. But if done wrong, it could be the Super Mario Bros. movie disaster of 1993, anyone remember? (hahah I remember seeing this with my mom, brother, his friend and his mother and I didn't even know what was going on)

I'd say involve both Hyrule and Termina, but Zelda, the triforce, Ganondorf, and music largely from the N64 era but use of the LttP overworld theme in its key (A# minor). Now the enemies: this is hard because a video game is not a movie, but how can there be Zelda without ototoks, dekus, and so on? Still, Star Wars had a ton of video-game like enemies, even the Star Wars movies which predated NES, as in the first 3 produced films (the good ones). I'd hope enemies in a Zelda movie would be live action, not CGI, cuz CGI is so obvious and fake looking. I'd like to see a plot with Ganon manipulates the Skull Kid and Majora with Aghanim somewhere in there. Majora's Mask could easily form parts of the film's basis, because of the people aspect that game had, but keep some of the Ocarina names, like Lon Lon, Ingo, etc. Have the different races use roles. One thing: the characters should be instantly recognizable, not like Blond Bowser or Yoshi the T-Rex.

I would expect Ocarina of Time to be adapted above all other games, largely because it has clear sequels (Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. And from that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks). Of course, that would be assuming they went down the adaption route.

Personally I'd prefer a completely creative approach with a new story taking aspects and characters from several games. Plus I'd prefer it if they did it all in one movie, rather than seperate it Lord of the Rings style, simply because that would work better. I dunno, sneak in a forest dungeon, a fire dungeon inside a volcano and a water dungeon and one final castle raid and you're pretty much set. Although it it were an adaptation of Ocarina of Time, I could see them splitting it into Child Link and Adult Link chapters, a bit like the Manga, actually. Just end the first movie with Link pulling the Master Sword out of it's pedestal.

As for CGI, seeing as it's advanced a LOT lately (working well as far back as Lord of the Rings) I don't see why there can't be a mix of it and Live Action, plus I'd like to see Link fighting giant rock golems and the like rather than human sized orcs and stuff constantly. Besides, it's a video game movie, and video games are 100% CGI.

As for the music, it would HAVE to be from the games, it's a sure fire way of making people nostalgic (it worked in Scott Pilgrim so I don't see why not here). Well, maybe a few original composed pieces but yeah, who wouldn't want to see Link stride into Kakariko with the familiar tune coming from the cinema speakers?

That trailer could've been really good if
A. It made sense, and conformed to ONE of the Zelda plots (That trailer is like a mix of OoT, TP, and a non-existant Zelda title)
B. Link didn't look like Michael Jackson.
C. Made more sense overall.

Currently, whenever I see that trailer, I just start laughing.

A

afternoonteapot

I liked the trailer! even if link didn't look as many people expected...i mean it's nothing official so i see no reason to discuss looks as a negative point (although i have to confess i liked ganondorf and zelda better).
TFWTH, you haf good ideas but don't you think it would be a little bit....maybe boring to rush link through 3 dungeons and a castle? I mean maybe for fans it would be interesting to see how it would turn out in a live-action movie, but we know moviemakers don't do only what fans want to see.
I agree with the idea of RonK, it sounds like nothing too comprehensive. But I also agree with TFWTH, that a mix of CGI and Live-Action could be great!
Maybe kind of an open end would be great so that, if it would be a good, successful movie, they could do a sequel, answering open questions or something like that, but if it wouldn't be that succesful no one would be to upset if there weren't a sequel. What I want to know though, what about merchandise and stuff? Many movies turned out into a game, so would there be a new zelda game based on the movie? (is it relevant for this thread? or would that be a new one? I don't want to change the subject but that question just popped up my mind...)

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I'd rather it not follow the story of any one game. We saw how disastrous that turned out in the Hero of Time movie. (When's the sequel coming out? I heard they were making one.)

Also, I very much enjoyed Super Mario Bros., thank you very much. =P

Retsdob

Retsdob
A zelda movie is undesirable for the Zelda series, seeing as how most people like link as a hollow shell and in order to make it a good movie they must give him a personality. Not to mention the backlash there would be since people have their own views on how Zelda should be portrayed.

M

MountainTroll

i'd want it live action, but a cartoon in the windwaker/toon link style would be sweet, also.

Well, I personally don't think their should be a Zelda Movie. I mean, there was a T.V. series, and personally, I hated it. I didn't like the T.V. series, and what if they mess up on the Movie? Yeah, the trailor looked alright, but what if *It did come out on movie* it is a disappointment? If it was like that, I don't like I could play another Zelda game. In the trailor, it was a mixture of various of games, (Oot, TP, and possibly more). Funny thing is, if they release it on a holiday that is, oh let's say April Fool's Day, it is more and likely a gag.

Its horrible to think its a April Fool joke but atleast its not real or they will show Right Hand Link. I think they should start with Ocarina of Time and have as much resmblance of the game as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom