• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Informer - new management questions

I see Zelda informer has been aquired by Zelda Dungeon. This is amazing news (I think). I do have a few questions about this.

1. Is Zelda Informer still under the Gamnesia umbrella?

2. Will the new owners from Zelda Dungeon keep the quality of articles as high as they are on Zelda Dungeon?

3. Will you ensure all the informational articles posted on Zelda Informer are appropriately referenced? I ask this as the former owners (both Zelda Informer and Gamnesia), often refuse to peoperly qulte/reference the sources of their articles. I just want to know if the new Zelda Dungeon owners till make sure this never happens again.)

4. Will you ensure Zelda Informer is as friendly a place to be as Zelda Dungeon? I looked both at Zelda Dungeon and Zelda Informer back ni the day as to which forum I wanted to be a part of. The old admins of ZI and the user base (on their forums and facebook) were quite the toxic bunch. That's why I didn't choose them and chose ZD instead. A decision I am very glad to make. I just don't want people to think ZD is bad because of ZI and that it's now related to ZD.

5. Will you ensure that Zelda news from all over the world is reported on? (Not like most other gaming news sites that soemtimes forget Europe and always forget Australia and New Zealand. Fairness for all Nintendo regions is all I am asking for).

Djinn

and Tonic
The main plan is that Zelda Informer will be the news and updates site while Zelda Dungeon will be the walkthrough and information site.

But overall

1. Do not think so, they are a different site and I believe Mases acquired only ZI
2. as above, ZI will be the news and article site
3. While the ZI news team is remaining on as the primary news team, this means Mases is the one at the top that what and how the posts will be displayed
4. The ZI forums are essentially a ghost town so I do not think there really even is much of a forum community to have a local culture. It will pretty much be entirely the ZD forum memberbase.
5. Not even sure about this one, I am not aware if the ZI staff keeps to a certain hemisphere

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The main plan is that Zelda Informer will be the news and updates site while Zelda Dungeon will be the walkthrough and information site.

But overall

1. Do not think so, they are a different site and I believe Mases acquired only ZI
2. as above, ZI will be the news and article site
3. While the ZI news team is remaining on as the primary news team, this means Mases is the one at the top that what and how the posts will be displayed
4. The ZI forums are essentially a ghost town so I do not think there really even is much of a forum community to have a local culture. It will pretty much be entirely the ZD forum memberbase.
5. Not even sure about this one, I am not aware if the ZI staff keeps to a certain hemisphere
Hmmmm... Will the ZI and ZD forums eventually merge together?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
There will only be one forum and it will have the ZI banner.

The question of who's software will be used is still up in the air.
Well then......
I am not sure how I feel about that.
I feel like ZI might make a more toxic community out of that, judging by their comment section. Furthermore, if ZD's software get's neglected, that means that the whole ZD community will have to make new accounts. We might lose some members for these reasons.
Sigh.....

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Is Zelda Informer still under the Gamnesia umbrella?

They are becoming completely separate. I have acquired Zelda Informer. Gamnesia will continue to operate as such and nothing will change there if you are a visitor.

Will the new owners from Zelda Dungeon keep the quality of articles as high as they are on Zelda Dungeon?

I am still owner of Zelda Dungeon, and I'm now also the owner of Zelda Informer. Not much will change at front page immediately over at ZI.

Will you ensure all the informational articles posted on Zelda Informer are appropriately referenced? I ask this as the former owners (both Zelda Informer and Gamnesia), often refuse to peoperly qulte/reference the sources of their articles. I just want to know if the new Zelda Dungeon owners till make sure this never happens again.)

Hmm... well, I'm sure this is really a widespread problem. I know a lot of the team members, and I think the team at Zelda Informer, and also the team at Gamnesia do a fantastic job at crediting their sources.

Will you ensure Zelda Informer is as friendly a place to be as Zelda Dungeon? I looked both at Zelda Dungeon and Zelda Informer back ni the day as to which forum I wanted to be a part of. The old admins of ZI and the user base (on their forums and facebook) were quite the toxic bunch. That's why I didn't choose them and chose ZD instead. A decision I am very glad to make. I just don't want people to think ZD is bad because of ZI and that it's now related to ZD.

At the moment, the forum community at Zelda Informer is non-existent. We are still working out plans with forums, but there might be some consolidation with forums. Given the almost non-existent forum activity level at one of the websites, I don't think it makes sense to maintain two separate forums. I think the attitudes of this forum will remain in place.

Will you ensure that Zelda news from all over the world is reported on? (Not like most other gaming news sites that soemtimes forget Europe and always forget Australia and New Zealand. Fairness for all Nintendo regions is all I am asking for).

I think Zelda Informer currently does an excellent job with getting everything out there. I hope to continue that moving forward.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Well then......
I feel like ZI might make a more toxic community out of that, judging by their comment section. Furthermore, if ZD's software get's neglected, that means that the whole ZD community will have to make new accounts. We might lose some members for these reasons.
Sigh.....

No worries on this front. Users/Posts will be 100% preserved with whichever direction we go.

Djinn

and Tonic
Well then......
Sigh.....
I don't think it makes a difference now, ever since they basically reset their forum a year ago the forum community never really came back. Barely anyone posts over there ( it's down to a post a month now) so the main population is going to be the ZD forum population.

But the posts on ZD will be transferred

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I don't think it makes a difference now, ever since they basically reset their forum a year ago the forum community never really came back. Barely anyone posts over there ( it's down to a post a month now) so the main population is going to be the ZD forum population.

But the posts on ZD will be transferred
No worries on this front. Users/Posts will be 100% preserved with whichever direction we go.
Okay, well that does give me some hope regarding all of this. Hopefully, our community will stay intact, while we get a little bit of new blood.
When do you guys think the forum will be changed over? Furthermore, will Nate become a new Admin/Mod?

Also, a suggestion as well. Since the forums will be under ZI's banner, I think it would be a good idea if you included the Zelda Dungeon theme as well. I'm not really fond of Zelda Informer's forum design.

Djinn

and Tonic
Okay, well that does give me some hope regarding all of this. Hopefully, our community will stay intact, while we get a little bit of new blood.
When do you guys think the forum will be changed over? Furthermore, will Nate become a new Admin/Mod?

Also, a suggestion as well. Since the forums will be under ZI's banner, I think it would be a good idea if you included the Zelda Dungeon theme as well. I'm not really fond of Zelda Informer's forum design.
I'm pretty sure some of their forum staff is coming over, but I am unaware of which ones.

Between the two I would rather we continue using the current ZD Xenforo software since so much has been done with it in the last year. We have lots of themes that will be dropped if we just make a huge move. But they do have a nifty login addon that allows someone to sign up on their main site and have it connect to their forum accounts and main site comment accounts. Xenforo does not seem to cover all bases like that.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Intent is to keep the forums as they are run now for the most part, with some changes needing to be made. I'm in charge here at Zelda Dungeon and at Zelda Informer, so I will still be a pseudo administrator, like I am now at these forums. Nathan is remaining the Editor-in-Chief of Zelda Informer and will likely have a similar role as I do at the forums. However, the goal is to maintain the same leadership of the forums we have now.

This will all be addressed in a couple weeks. For the time being nothing is changing.

When we do get to a point of changes being made, everything will be announced just prior. All efforts will be made to preserving posts/users and the forum climate that is setup here.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
@Lozjam yeah I've spent time on the ZI forums and they were incredibly toxic. I remember they harassed some little kid for not agreeing with their silly timeline, but like @Djinn said, most of their members are gone.

However, the goal is to maintain the same leadership of the forums we have now.

This will all be addressed in a couple weeks. For the time being nothing is changing.

When we do get to a point of changes being made, everything will be announced just prior. All efforts will be made to preserving posts/users and the forum climate that is setup here.

Our current forum leadership seems really good; no real drama for like months and miles. Am I back in 2010?

Though Mases, I hope you realize once you buy ZU/ZW you'll have completed the Website Triforce. ZU of Power, ZD Wisdom, and ZI Courage for originally splitting off from ZU. Can wish dat Legend of Zelda: Darksiders III. : P

1. They are becoming completely separate. I have acquired Zelda Informer. Gamnesia will continue to operate as such and nothing will change there if you are a visitor.

2. I am still owner of Zelda Dungeon, and I'm now also the owner of Zelda Informer. Not much will change at front page immediately over at ZI.

3. Hmm... well, I'm sure this is really a widespread problem. I know a lot of the team members, and I think the team at Zelda Informer, and also the team at Gamnesia do a fantastic job at crediting their sources.

4. At the moment, the forum community at Zelda Informer is non-existent. We are still working out plans with forums, but there might be some consolidation with forums. Given the almost non-existent forum activity level at one of the websites, I don't think it makes sense to maintain two separate forums. I think the attitudes of this forum will remain in place.

5. I think Zelda Informer currently does an excellent job with getting everything out there. I hope to continue that moving forward.
Thanks for the responces.

1. I am not a Gamnesia visitor and was hoping ZI would become totally separate. You saying they are is music to my ears. You can probably tell I'm not a Gamnesia fan.

2. That's nice to hear, keep up the good work.

3. The crediting sources issue is something I've noticed a few specific websites fail to do. It's not all the time though. But there will be times when I want to read the source information and it's not quoted. Very annoying. ZI do not do this all that often (which is good, but it has happened). Gamnesia is a serial offender here but we're no longer associated with them which is great news. I am sure you will ensure all the ZI articles are properly sources/quoted. I have no worries as I have my faith in you.

4. If I was you I'd merge their forum into ours as their forum is the much smaller one. I don't care if the merged forum is ZD or ZI. As long as it's run like ZD and is as welcoming as ZD is, then we'll all be happy.

5. I can agree with you there. I was asking this particular question mroe in relation to other websites. I've recently spoken to the admins of NintendoLife to ask them why they leave off the European and Australian times/infro from most of their informative posts. The responce I got is Australia is not big enough to warrant 2 seconds extra effort to add a Sydney time for Nintendo Directs and the like. Nintendo thinks Australia matters, one of the 4 Nintendo branches is Nintendo of Australia and New Zealand. I was really dissapointed in NintendoLife's responce there. NintendoLife otherwise are a great website with lots of great info. They just can be a little too US centric at times and forget that the rest of the world exists too. ZI never really did this. I just wanted to make sure that the new ZI under your ownership does not do this. You said it will not happen and that answers my question totally. I will believe that you'll deal with this.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Moving the forum to ZI would be a horrifyingly bad idea. Regardless of how much of a "community" they still have or don't have, they still have a very severe reputation for being the most toxic site remaining in the whole Zelda Community. Consolidating forums over there will permanently pass on that reputation to it with no way to get rid of it. This will give us far too many problems. And it can attract a lot of new drama to it, and none of us like that. If there's consolidation, what little remains of the ZI forum community should be brought over here. We can handle ourselves if anything gets out of line. And with luck, we can work together peacefully. But there's no getting around ZI's very negative reputation. It will have little impact on its news articles, but it will be detrimental to any community that is over there. This community is firmly established and "retaining posts" moving it over there will not stop it from being permanently damaged by it.

I recognize the benefits of this acquisition. ZI is very good with news and social outreach. It's something that can help us out a lot. They're inhumanely good at social outreach and that'll be invaluable. But our community needs to remain here. It'd be in our best interest. It has taken a lot of work to get our forums to the point there are now. And dismantling them to move them to ZI would undermine all that work and destroy this community. Since ZI's forum community is struggling to even exist right now, the best option is to bring them over here if they still want to operate in a forum environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom